SearchSearch 

Flyawaysimulation.com Server

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

I'm going up to the Datacenter at the weekend to replace one of the servers RAID HDD's - would you guys be interested in seeing some pics of the server that Fly Away runs on? Let me know, and i'll take some shots 😉

13 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Yes please 😀 Drool
Is it a HUGE thing? taking up whole buildings, or just another biege box 😉

Pro Member Site Admin

Hehe - it's not huge, but it's a mighty punch in a small space. We're running Dual 2.8GHZ Xeon processors with 2GB of RAM on a very stylish 1U black Dell Rackmount server.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😳 WHAT not even one building Crying or Very sad

Still would like to see it though

Pro Member Site Admin

Nope, not even one building. Hey, it's not the 60's anymore - computers have got smaller! They do cluster multiple servers if a site's really busy, but only sites such as Microsoft run applications like that. You know the whole of the simflight network runs on one server like ours.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I remember the 60s Embarassed
Ford Anglias and Triumph Heralds.Black and white TV(only 2 channels) the BBC Home Service,Radio Luxemburg.....................Im going for a lie down now Ill

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes I would like to see what keeps us going, about the size of a tower on it's side, right?

I remember a little further back than that TTT, computers that were the size and shape of phone booths.

Radar

Pro Member Site Admin

RadarMan wrote:

Yes I would like to see what keeps us going, about the size of a tower on it's side, right?

You could say - but it's much thinner than a tower, only a few inches in fact.

Pro Member Site Admin

I finally went up to the datacenter tonight, here's what I captured. Sadly, I could not use flash because of the fire detection systems, so sorry for the bad image quality... (ours is the one with the BSD Devil on the front!)

Shot of the front:

Side-On:

Side-On:

With front cover off:

Behind the server:

Last edited by Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) on Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Nice shots, it looks interesting, thanks for the peek inside the site's workings.

Will the work you did help speed up this site at all.

Radar

Pro Member Site Admin

Actually, in a way it will; but you won't notice it that much... I replaced one of the dead RAID drives, and with two drives back online, it should perform "random disk reads" faster.

... Not suggesting the site was slow? 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Actually yes.
At times it reverts back to the original days (a year ago) but then a hour or so later it's at it's regular speed again. I just figured that the host or server was being serviced.
Not a problem but it shouldn't happen.

Radar

Pro Member Site Admin

Got it. It could also be the bandwidth is maxed out when you experience the "old days" - this is when many users are downloading files, or at peak periods. The best time (fastest, least busy) is around 6AM GMT. We could really do with a bigger pipe 🙄

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

Ive been with this site since nov 03 and ive never noticed it being slow, im on broadband and this is probobly the fastest site i use, quicker than ebay etc.....

keep up the good work 👏