SearchSearch 

SP2... not sure if I needed it, because...

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

I installed the new SP2 for FSX.

FSX use to load much faster than it does now. I've even reinstalled the OS (XP Pro) and still loads much slower than it use to before I installed the FSX SP2.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues?

SP2 really slows the FSX application way down...

7 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The bigger that your FSX folder gets the slower it will load.
When you get to the menu it should work as fast as always.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Well, I was thinking unless SP2 gave me a significant amount of frame rates, what else would I gain.

I've thought about removing some of the planes (the ones I never use) from the aircraft folder to see if that would help. If so, would it be simply deleting the aircraft folder of choice or would that really screw up FSX?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You can delete the folder but don't delete any of the default aircraft.
As for SP2, keep it, you need it to fix minor bugs in the SP1 release and it will give you better performance.
As far as I'm concerned I can live with another 60 seconds of boot time, it makes you appreciate getting to the Sim all the more.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Heyjoojoo wrote:

I installed the new SP2 for FSX.

FSX use to load much faster than it does now. I've even reinstalled the OS (XP Pro) and still loads much slower than it use to before I installed the FSX SP2.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues?

SP2 really slows the FSX application way down...

There is something that might deserve consideration. Unless you already use 3rd party software, you have no control over where Windows installs what on your HDD. We're talking about access time when Windows has to read something off your HDD.
Even if you do a fresh install of the OS or reformat the HDD and install all your programs anew, Windows will not place them in the most convenient location on the HDD to your own preferences. That is important because we all have different preferences -- in the case of us simmers I assume the priority being the loading of the sim itself.

The Defragment Utility that is part of the Windows OS only defrags and does that very badly. One 3rd party Defrag Utility I've been using not only does a much better job at defragging, it also lets you decide where on your HDD you want what according to your preferences.

You better read about its capabilities yourself before I start confusing you:

http://www.disktrix.com/

You can get a fully functioning 14 day free trial here:

http://www.disktrix.com/DTTrials.htm

NOTE: I have read in forums that many users of Disktrix were initially disappointed. Turns out, that those who were disappointed never had bothered to study the manual thoroughly. It is not rocket science 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

I uninstalled FSX's SP2 and the lockups have stopped. No explanation... Maybe, the SP2 prefers VIsta? I dunno.

But here's what was going on beforehand:

I couldn't even exit to go to any of the menu options without rebooting the PC. The system will just hang until a reboot. The problem seemed to have worsened because now it seems that I cant even exit FSX when I want to. When I click exit, the system hangs. When I first launch FSX, it will load the scenery, get to 100% and then hang there with the hourglass. Most of the time it will restart with a "fatal error" message from FSX...

But since the SP2 removal, all seems to be well for now. I'll keep watching.

Pro Member Trainee
PhilTaylor Trainee

Heyjoojoo wrote:

I uninstalled FSX's SP2 and the lockups have stopped. No explanation... Maybe, the SP2 prefers VIsta? I dunno.

But here's what was going on beforehand:

I couldn't even exit to go to any of the menu options without rebooting the PC. The system will just hang until a reboot. The problem seemed to have worsened because now it seems that I cant even exit FSX when I want to. When I click exit, the system hangs. When I first launch FSX, it will load the scenery, get to 100% and then hang there with the hourglass. Most of the time it will restart with a "fatal error" message from FSX...

But since the SP2 removal, all seems to be well for now. I'll keep watching.

there is a known issue with nVidia drivers and fullscreen menu usage.

net-net - either use keyboard commands or windowed mode until there is an nvidia driver that does not crash.

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

ah hah, I knew someone would find the problem before long...

thanks Phil.