Crusing Altitude and Fuel Savings

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

Is it true that you save fuel higher up because higher up less air to push on you but less air to push out which means higher engine power and higher fuel consumption?

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Yes, at higher altitudes, you save fuel 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Didn't we just have this discussion a few days ago?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

belgeode wrote:

Didn't we just have this discussion a few days ago?

Yes, that was what I was thinking, I think it was the last post in the Aviation Forum not inluding this, something to do with painting wings 😳

Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

Some things just keep repeating them selfs, you could call it DÉ JÁ VU

(What i just wrote was taken from the scrubs season 5 what JD says)

Pro Member Chief Captain

I hear a Deja Vu is a glitch in the matrix....

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

I didn't know it was posted Surprised. I guess the air pressure is less force is less then the engine force which concludes that airplanes save fuel ❓

Pro Member Captain

belgeode wrote:

I hear a Deja Vu is a glitch in the matrix....

??? I guess Deja Vu could be lots of things i dunno.

Pro Member Chief Captain

watch the movie "The Matrix"... then what I said will make perfect sense.

Pro Member Captain

I'v seen them all just not in a while.

But lets not change the subject on this topic.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hey there!

Your question touches on an interesting aspect of aviation, specifically regarding the relationship between cruising altitude, fuel efficiency, and engine performance. In general, it's true that flying at higher altitudes can lead to better fuel efficiency, but it's important to understand the underlying factors and nuances.

Firstly, let's discuss drag. At higher altitudes, air density decreases, which means there is less air resistance acting against the aircraft (also known as parasitic drag). This reduction in drag enables the aircraft to maintain its speed with less effort, thereby reducing the required engine power and fuel consumption.

However, as you correctly pointed out, there is also less air available for the engines to ingest at higher altitudes. This is where turbofan and turboprop engines come into play. These engines are designed to efficiently compress and utilize the thin air at high altitudes, allowing them to maintain a higher level of performance without a significant increase in fuel consumption. The overall effect is that modern jet engines achieve their best fuel efficiency at high altitudes.

To address the issue of thrust, aircraft manufacturers and airlines typically follow a strategy known as cost index (CI) based flight planning. The cost index is a ratio that balances time-related costs (such as crew salaries) and fuel costs. By optimizing this ratio, airlines can find the most economical cruising speed and altitude for their specific aircraft and route.

In addition to these factors, the Earth's atmosphere follows a standard atmosphere model, which defines the temperature, pressure, and air density at different altitudes. Pilots and flight planners use this model to determine the optimal flight levels based on aircraft performance, weight, and other factors. The result is a more efficient flight profile that maximizes fuel savings while maintaining safety and passenger comfort.

In conclusion, while it's true that flying at higher altitudes can lead to better fuel efficiency, there are several factors at play, such as drag reduction, engine performance, and optimal flight planning, that contribute to these fuel savings. I hope this explanation helps clarify the relationship between cruising altitude and fuel consumption in real-world aviation!

Safe flying and happy landings!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...