Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Game won't start...

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

Yesterday all was great, today FSX won't start. Everything goes great until the game has loaded, then rather than go to the aircraft, I get an error message saying FSX has encountered a problem and needs to quit. I've tried repairing the game with the discs, but the same thing keeps popping up??? Any ideas? This game is one expensive piece of crap. I'm sorry I wasted my money on it and even more so on the CH Yoke and Rudders. As far as trying to get hold of anyone at microsoft for help...forget it. Does anyone know what the &^%$ is going on???

5 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Just to eliminate one possible culprit, did you install an add-on before you finished your session yesterday?

Pro Member First Officer

No, nothing unusal at all. It worked fine last night. The only difference is I had to set the time as January 2008 as the game was still showing January as 2007??? I made the adjustment in the logbbok correcting two entries and changed it in free flight to start the game? Otherwise nothing was altered.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Maybe it's that log book entry you made.
Why don't you try to cut and paste the log book somewhere save (in case you want to keep some or all of its contents), then try and start FSX. The sim should create a new log book upon startup.

Pro Member First Officer

I'm thinking it has to do with the saved flight, or the real time weather. If I go to a saved flight from a few days earlier with just fair weather selected, it loads just fine. But that particular flight seems to be a problem. It is the first time I've tried the real time weather option and although the flight was fine, reloading it seems to be a possibility for the error??? I'll try loading real time weather on my next flight and see if that reproduces the error message. It would be nice if Microsoft cared about their programs enough to offer free assistance instead of the riduculous fees for help. I'd think it would be in their interest to improve FSX?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

I'm thinking it has to do with the saved flight, or the real time weather.

You could be onto something there. Often one of the saved flights causes all the problems - obviously the remedy is to simply delete it. If it's impossible to determine which flight it actually is, deleting the complete folder will do the job - a new, clean folder will be recreated when the sim is started up the next time.

FYI saved flights causing problems when trying to start up the sim or other irregularities is not exclusive to FSX.
A preventative measure regardless of which MSFS is used is to make sure any other windows such as 'Spot Plane' are closed and the main view is 2D panel rather than VC prior to saving the flight.