Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

veering off runway

Pro Member Trainee
syracuse Trainee

Sometimes my aircraft veer to the left or right on the takeoff roll. It's a random occurrence. Always unexpected. Followed by a tendency to bank in the same direction. Pretty much trashes the game. I stopped playing because of it. It's 2004. Any tips on clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

do you have real weather on? if so could be a crosswind.

do you have autorudder on?

not sure what else it could be.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

sometimes i would have AP on and it would automatically start putting the aircraft into a new heading.

in other words make sure your AP isnt on 😉

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

To eliminate the possibility of crosswinds, set weather theme to Clear Skies, and while in the cockpit press Ctrl+Z so you can monitor wind speed and direction at all times.

Also, why not post which controller you are using.. perhaps someone with the same one recognizes the issue.

Always recommended to scan for latest drivers of the hardware, or if none available un- and reinstall the hardware...🙂
Some issues can also be found back on hardware support forums...

Anyway - good luck with the problem.. it'd be a shame to miss out on FS because of this.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (SpiderWings) First Officer

Hope you get it syracuse because like they said above... would be a shame to stop playing.

I've been using FS9 now for nearly 4 years and there have been a handful of "problems" that I attributed (at first) to glitches in the software. But in most cases I came to realize that it was working fine and I just didn't have the right perception of conditions or didn't have the skill yet. Once I realized that and overcame the glitch in me, then I was glad that the program was so demanding.

I hope that will be your experience with the veering problem.

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

It does this thin to me too, but when I fly all the settings are on realisms, even the G-effect are fully used. I just fight with it sometimes with my rudder paddles. In real life when I was taking off with a cessna, usualy the plane steers to the left, thats why I use right rudder paddle, but thats when a plane is light, sometimes it hjappens to heavy planes, crosswind might be the answer or in the instruments of your plane, the auto rudder is on, and that might be the problem. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
syracuse Trainee

I'm using Logitech Extreme 3D pro. Drivers are up to date. Weather set to fair. AP is off. Auto rudder has been on. I'll try with it off. Maybe I'm catching a draft? That turn was persisting throughout the flights though. Would think a crosswind would stop at some point. Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try.

Pro Member First Officer
walesdragon First Officer

Whoa. That Joystick looks unique. I use a Saitek X52. It is Teh secks due to its awesome blue lights.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

syracuse wrote:

I'm using Logitech Extreme 3D pro. Drivers are up to date. Weather set to fair. AP is off. Auto rudder has been on. I'll try with it off. Maybe I'm catching a draft? That turn was persisting throughout the flights though. Would think a crosswind would stop at some point. Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try.

Turning the auto rudder off is essential if you have a flightsick with a twist handle or pedals.

If none of the above suggestions fix your problem, do the following:

Exit fs9.
In 'My Documents' delete the 'Flight Simulator Files' folder.
In Application Data delete the fs9.cfg file.

Now you will have lost your settings but that's no big deal, just reset them.

IMPORTANT: The next time when you save a flight, make sure you're in 'panel view (2D)' only and make sure you have no other windows (views) open before you save.
Also remember not to tick 'Make this my Default Flight' if you're saving while in flight.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

I used both joysticks.... currently I use the X52... autorudder definitely off. That will help a lot.

By the way Tailhook... if I remember correctly Caligula was all about getting into everyone else's gluteus maximus...

Pro Member Trainee
syracuse Trainee

I think Tailhook has been doing a lot of homework. Handy things to know.
Belgeode is right about this...never turn your back on Caligula!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Ha! It feels so good to to be communicating with observant, thinking individuals 😎

Bow Down Bow Down