Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

ATC question for beginner

Pro Member Trainee
paulchris2 Trainee

Hi Guys,

I have started to create VFR of my own and I notice that after I take off ATC prompts me to set up an IFR flight plan. I know what it is but if I already chose a VFR flight why does this happen?
Paul

Pro Member Captain
vlad (tiger7881) Captain

Well I dont reealy know, my guess is if you want you can change it to IFR.
Anyway hey ma you live in toronto, thats cool me too, where in toronto though?

Pro Member Captain
walesdragon Captain

Hi. Sorry for being a big n00b (again) but i was gonna take off and i set my weather to rainy. And i contact the ATC to taxi and takeoff but the dude says something about the airport being IFR. I don't know what this means. D:

Pro Member Captain
Duncan (Razgr1z912) Captain

All VFR flights are grounded, the weather is too harsh to allow planes on VFR to fly because of navagation issues. Hope it helped.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Razgr1z912 wrote:

All VFR flights are grounded, the weather is too harsh to allow planes on VFR to fly because of navagation issues. Hope it helped.

This was first introduced in FS9 Wink

Pro Member Captain
vlad (tiger7881) Captain

walesdragon wrote:

Hi. Sorry for being a big n00b (again) but i was gonna take off and i set my weather to rainy. And i contact the ATC to taxi and takeoff but the dude says something about the airport being IFR. I don't know what this means. D:

Yea they ar eboth right. Means your weather is bad for VFR- less then 3 miles and the clouds are bad.

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

I may be way off base here, but have you tried filing an IFR flight? It will require some use of instruments I'd suspect as in the real world. I doubt if it would require and IFR rating as with real pilots, but see what happens if you select IFR. I'm no expert on FSX, so I really don't know how it will affect the game. I fly the real thing and IFR requires an endorsement. If you are a VFR pilot, you can't fly in IFR conditions. That's part of what makes real world flying challenging, Weather is a significant factor and any pilot needs to be able to get information and assess the conditions to determine whether or nor a flight is safe and can be completed.

Pro Member Trainee
paulchris2 Trainee

Thanks for the responses but I find it odd that when I am setting up a flight with clear weather in the daytime that the request to set up an IFR flight comes way after I took off. I guess you are right - I'll just try to set it up when ATC queries me. In reality shoudn't a pilot set up a VFR and an IFR flight before take-off?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

paulchris2 wrote:

Thanks for the responses but I find it odd that when I am setting up a flight with clear weather in the daytime that the request to set up an IFR flight comes way after I took off. I guess you are right - I'll just try to set it up when ATC queries me. In reality shoudn't a pilot set up a VFR and an IFR flight before take-off?

Yes, you're correct. FSX ATC is only an approximation of real ATC, there are many mistakes so don't get hung up on the details.

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

You are correct in assuming that in the real world of aviation, you are required to file IFR. IFR requires the pilot to hold a valid IFR qualification, and to file the IFR flight plan in advance. In flight when weather conditions deteriorate while enroute VFR, you may open an IFR flight plan or obtain IFR clearances enroute. If You are VFR rated and conditions go IFR, you are not able to accept IFR clearances and must divert to an area where VFR conditions prevail. In Canada we also have special VFR which falls between VFR and IFR and allows limited operation within a control zone. We hace recently adopted VFR on top which allows VFR flight over IFR conditions providing the destination airfield is VFR.

Pro Member Trainee
paulchris2 Trainee

Thanks for the info Scott. It makes a lot of sense and is really quite logical. It's quite challenging learning from the tutorials and books. Fortunately I've had a few lessons from a Pilot friend in a Cessna this past summer. Even though the program is quite realistic, there's no comparison between learning on FSX and actually flying.

Pro Member Captain
cheezyflier Captain

hey you toronto guys - did you go to the airshow this year? pretty cool stuff, especially for free!

Pro Member Captain
vlad (tiger7881) Captain

cheezyflier wrote:

hey you toronto guys - did you go to the airshow this year? pretty cool stuff, especially for free!

Oh yea... I went this year, I tihnk the airshow was in oshawa airport. I saw the new citacion X, and other new buissnes jet that costs milion of dollars lol. It was great, very good show, I had a chance to get in a cockpit of a trycycle, and fly with it abit lol. It was greaat.