Need info on my grandperents in ww2 & Korea

Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

Hi i know this is a very very very long shot but i just thought i will try.

I am doing research in what my Grandparents did in WW2 & Korea.

I will start with my Dad's Dad In WW2 he served in the royal navy his name is Alfred Morris He was on a Ship called HMS. Cassandra the only info i have is about what happend to the ship on the 11 December 1944 when it was truck by a torpedo by a German U-Boat.

It was then toad back to Russia and my Grandad survived with miner injuries but other sailer's was not so lucky.

I want more info on this ship HMS. Cassandra but after this torpedo attack the ship the ship was taken somewhere to be fixed and that is where my Info FINISHED i do not know any more about my grandad after that.

If you know any of your grandparents who where in the royal navy in WW2 and or even surved on the same ship or even now more info about the Ship please PM me i would really wanner find out. Thankyou.

Now my Mum's Dad.

My mum's dad served in a Regiment called the Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire (also know'n as the Bed's & Herts) his name is Charkes Young, he was at Dunkirk when the evacuation was happening and was taken back to england after witch i dunno i have no more info about him after the only thing i know is that his regt was sent to North Africa but then he was a Prisoner of war in a camp somewhere Thats all i knwo if you have any more info about the regt he was in and any photo's that would be a great help.

And to finish my grandad after being liberated from the POW camp when't home to london to find that his wife now had another man so he left her after that he had left the army then when Korea happen in 1951 he then joined the army again and then was sent to korea in the Gloucestershire regt.

Witch i know more info about my grandad in korea than ww2, He was at a famous battle that happen in korea and thay also was fighting with some american solders and was awered some american medal aswell witch i do know about but can't find the infomation about it anymore witch i did once on google.

The Gloucestershire regt was also known as the THE GLORIOUS GLOSTERS.

This is a website i found about the glosters aswell: http://www.glosters.org/

Thankyou for reading please if you have any infomation about these regiments you have know idea how much i will appreciate it.

Thankyou once again.

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

problem with getting info on a specific person during those conflics is that there were so many people involved many men shared the same common names but to find information on the outcome of the ship will be much easier as it may have history to it.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

You should be very proud of your Grandfather if he was one of the Glorious Glosters, i remember my father speaking highly of them (he was in the army), if i'm correct they are the only regiment in the British Army to wear a badge on the front and back of their berets in honour of a battle in which they fought back to back against the enemy and won. They also fought a fantastic rearguard action in Korea that allowed the Americans to withdraw( although the US Marines say "withdraw hell, we're just fighting in another direction" 😀 ), which is now called Gloucester hill.
That reminds me, the wifes Grandfather won a DFC in WWII, i really must find out what it was for, they don't know either! I've been meaning to look into it for a while now.

Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

You should be very proud of your Grandfather if he was one of the Glorious Glosters, i remember my father speaking highly of them (he was in the army), if i'm correct they are the only regiment in the British Army to wear a badge on the front and back of their berets in honour of a battle in which they fought back to back against the enemy and won. They also fought a fantastic rearguard action in Korea that allowed the Americans to withdraw( although the US Marines say "withdraw hell, we're just fighting in another direction" 😀 ), which is now called Gloucester hill.
That reminds me, the wifes Grandfather won a DFC in WWII, i really must find out what it was for, they don't know either! I've been meaning to look into it for a while now.

Thankyou WF & you JarJar you don't know how much i am proude of my grandparents i never meet my grandad charles (he foguht in korea &ww2) as he died shortly before i was born and to be honest everyone finks its because of what he has seen in his life witch he never ever told anyone about.

Thankyou for replying guys it means alot to me for your reply's.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

my grandparents on both my mom and dad`s side of the family both fought in Korea and later conflict.

my dad`s dad was a B-52 pilot shortly after the war.
my mom`s dad was an artillery spotter in Korea.
my uncle was a M60 gunner on a Huey in Vietnam, he is currently living in a mental institute and has his left leg amputated.
my great uncle was a 3 star general in the Air Force and turned down a 4th star because he would have to move away from Hill AFB.
and my brother is an intelligence master sgt. in the Air Force.

and i plan to enlist in the Coast Guard after High School and I too am proud of my family history of service. those that diead in the service dies with honor.

don't ever feel sorry for those who died, feel proud that you have inherited their blood.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...