Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Virtual Airline Regulation

Pro Member First Officer
claytonlocher First Officer

Hello,
I think we all know of the growing "problem" of the large number of virtual airlines coming and going on a daily basis. It has definitely taken a toll on the realism of the virtual airlines in the flightsim community. My best guess would be that there have been at least a thousand different virtual airlines that have come or gone in the past two or three years.

I think it would be good for the flight-sim community if there were some form of virtual airline regulation. What I mean is, a way of maybe "certifying" airlines to operate, and maybe have regulations on the type of flights, aircraft, etc. each airline operates. I know this might sound outlandish, but in my opinion, it would certainly encourage fellow flight-simmers to join together and maybe have 50 or 60 virtual airlines.

Of course, people can always do what they want with creating their own virtual airline. But having "certified" airlines would decrease the large amount of lesser-known airlines, and certainly add to the realism of the hobby.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

ummmmmm..... ok.

In a few years time will we also have a DEregulation? There goes virtual eastern...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

While i understand where you are coming from the problem is it's a free world (allegedly), so there is no way this can happen. So little Tommy can go and start his VA and expect his 1000 members, but it ain't going to happen. The reason, cos it's little Tommy and basically his come and play at my house attitude. I think you'll find the VA's that are run professionally with good hubs and routes and with a good core of loyal members stand the test of time, for example http://www.slipstreamairways.com/ , Metro virtual, US Airways etc! See how i slipped a link to the one i'm a member of in there 😀 !

Pro Member Chief Captain

You also slipped one in for one I am a member of... thanks!

well not really but then I can for you...

US Air virtual Airways

Last edited by Drew B (belgeode) on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

No problem bel, i thought you might like it 😀 !

Pro Member Trainee
vahangar Trainee

I think what you propose would be good but hard to keep track of. I keep a directory of active VA's and I hover around 130-140 but i have listed over 200 VS's since I started last year. They do come and go quickly and I have automated software as well as dedicated staff that scan VA's each week.

I would be willing to help if you want to talk more, shoot me a PM or drop by my site and we can chat about it.

Jerel

Pro Member Trainee
nightfox Trainee

I think this is a bad idea mainly because, not everyone will want to have to go through someone else to have a "certified" VA, it is not up to one person to say who can or can't run a VA. That is just my $0.02
Cheers
Dan C

Pro Member First Officer
claytonlocher First Officer

nightfox wrote:

...it is not up to one person to say who can or can't run a VA.

Just to clarify, I meant having a "certified" virtual airline would be a choice and by no means a requirement. It was just an idea to help bring the community together in a realistic way. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

What's next a VFAA to tell us how and where to fly?