Favourite movies

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

This is just a little clip from one of my all time favourite movies (or films as we call them here 😀 ) it's from the "Battle of Britain" if you have'nt seen it i suggest you rent it and enjoy it as it shows how close we were to defeat, and it always sends shivers down my spine, it also has some great actors like Michael Caine and Robert Shaw.

Ps you sfx geeks this was made in 1969 so have a bit of give and take 😀 .
Michael Caine delivers one of my favourite lines from a movie in it , while his engine is running in his Spit and he's waitng to get airborne "What's it to be flight my engines overheating and so am i ,do i stand down or blow up?" Classic! 😀

Last edited by Welshflyer on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total

Answers 44 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

Great flick!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

None.

Pro Member First Officer

Can't find a pick of it but...'Empire of the Sun'

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

Top Gun will be my favourite to consider.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Dang you want me to pick ONE favorite movie?

ok then...

as if you could not tell by the avatar I have.

Star Wars (all 6 of them)

also on the list would be

Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Top Gun
Pirates of the Caribbean 1-3
Lord of the Rings 1-3
Live and Let Die (Bond, James Bond)
A Clockwork Orange
(This Is) Spinal Tap
Independence Day
Transformers (the 2007 live action and the 1986 animated movies)

I could go on forever but those are the ones I can watch over and over and never get bored with them.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

warlord40 wrote:

Can't find a pick of it but...'Empire of the Sun'

None.

Pro Member First Officer

Don't know how I'd live without you CRJCapt!!!
Thanks a bunch!!!
I'll have to put that in my bucket.

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

DAK-A-DAK-A-DAK-A-DAK-A-DAK-A-DAK-A-DAK-A......

spring chicken to shite hawk in one easy lesson
what a great film. they don't make them like that any more!

for me, my favorite is crouching tiger hidden dragon. an awesome flick, but not the very best in martial arts. otherwise, i watch alot of asian cinema, because hollywood sucks anymore. i reccomend this to those of you who would like to try something different.

if you like action/comedy, chinese is the best. if you like sci fi or horror, it's japan. if you like romance/comedy/drama, then look to korea.
one exception is a really freeky film called "a tale of two sisters" a horror/suspense film from korea. it is one to see, if you think you like freaky films. catch it on veoh, although the quality there is.... not great

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

CRJCapt, i watched this (again) the other day on SKY TV, it really is a great movie! I'd forgotten how good it was.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Cheezy that is another classic line from the movie 😀 . I'm not saying it's my favourite movie of all time as there are too many to choose from but it comes pretty close! Along with Zulu

The true story where just over 100 Welsh and Englishmen held off over 5000 zulus at Rorkes Drift in 1829, just three years after the Little Big Horn Battle. The day before, these zulus had wiped out approx 1,200 British soldiers at Islandwhana. Rorkes Drift still remains to this day the battle where most VC's were awarded to a single unit in a single battle!
Another favourite of mine is a little known made for TV movie called "Son of the Morning Star" about Custer and the Battle of the Little Big Horn (can you tell i'm a history geek 😀 )

It pretty much shows how it REALLY was and that many of Custers men committed suicide rather than let the natives get hold of them. I recommend reading the book of the same name first. It is a fantastic movie that deserves a lot more credit than it actually got!
I don't know if you like reading or not but an excellent book is called "Custer and Crazy Horse" by Stephen Ambrose of "Band of Brothers" fame, it's the biographies of Custer and Crazy Horse from the day they were born to their meeting at the Little Big Horn, a fantastic read!
bel, you have some great movies there, Independance Day is one of my favourites, i can't understand why some people slag it off 😕 . Now to James Bond, i absolutely hate Roger Moore as Bond i think he's a joke and i won't watch any Bond movie he's in, i think Daniel Craig is going to be the Bond there should be !
Just like Christian Bale portrays the true Batman, and he's Welsh 😀 !

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

There's a lot to digest here Welshflyer. Interesting your comments on'ZULU' - I've seen the movie several times, great flick.

If the YouTube clip is anything to go by, "Son of the Morning Star" sounds like a good read. "Custer and Crazy Horse" is another one that'll go on my list. Oh yeah, I also saw some documentaries on the "Custer's last stand" debacle, mentioning the suicides. With the aid of todays forensic science they could determine whether a trooper was a smoker, how his skeleton was effected by the many hours in the saddle and many other interesting facts that history books written say 10 years ago just couldn't have mentioned. Who said history was dead?

I can't share your dislike for Roger Moore as Bond simply because the two aspects I concentrate most on when watching a Bond movie are the stunts and the scenery - you're always taken to some sunny place like the Cote d'Azur or Siberia. -What??

Thanks for the inspiration everybody "Empire of the Sun" ... wasn't even aware of it's existence. I'm off shopping.

Last edited by Tailhook on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer

btw - i saw "awake" yesterday, and thought it was hollywood's usual fare. poorly acted by jessica alba, i think she was a little out of her element. hayden christenson was rather flat considering his predicament in the film. the only bright spot was terrence howard. i have yet to see him turn in a bad performance. mark my words one day he will be thought of as a legend in acting.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Seeing that the 'Music Topic' has received another lease on live, I thought I might try and inject something in this here 'Movie Topic' as well:

Here is the infamous 'Shower Scene' :

Hitchcock at his best Fear

Pro Member First Officer
walesdragon First Officer

Letters from Iwo Jima. Lord of the rings 1-3 and spirited away. Also, i thought the movie TRANSFORMERS was awesome and i've watched it dozens of times.

Pro Member First Officer
Colin Reece (Col7777) First Officer

Das Boot is one of my favourites.

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

"The Best Years Of Our Lives"
"Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
"Harvey"
"Breakfast At Tiffany's"
"Twelve O'Clock High"
"Bridges Of Toko Rea" (spelling?)
"To Kill A Mockingbird"
"The Verdict"
"American Beauty"
"Ship Of Fools"
"The Young Lions"
"The Caine Mutiny"
"Fargo"

The list could go on....(my sentence, not a movie). 🙂

Art

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Seeing that the 'Music Topic' has received another lease on live, I thought I might try and inject something in this here 'Movie Topic' as well:

Here is the infamous 'Shower Scene' :

Hitchcock at his best Fear

A classic 😀 and it's still as disturbing today as when it was first made!

effieveda, there are some great movies in there, especially Harvey, the final scene is great 😀 .

Pro Member First Officer

i can never look at that scene without expecting a duck, anymore...

but, as long as we are discussing classic film, i would like to offer you an image and a quote from one of my favorites. i use it in certain forums when people want to bash others over the head with their particular crusade (for example, mandatory helmet laws) it's quite effective at getting the point across. however, i digress. it's "a clockwork orange"

Pro Member Chief Captain

It's on my list Smile

Pro Member First Officer

Cheezy, this time you had me rolling on the floor, laughing, over your "duck" comment. 😂 I hope you don't mind me using your first name.
Thanks for that ... Art

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I'm after a bit of info here gents about a movie that's not been made yet 😀 , if anyone comes across some info about the new Dambusters re-make i'd be very interested to know. All i can find out is that it starts filming this spring in New Zealand and the UK and is being produced by Peter Jackson of LOTR and King Kong fame(he's not directing), they have'nt even released the cast list 😳 . They're being very cagey about it! I've been following this for about two years now since the first rumours and that's all i can find out 😳 !

Last edited by Welshflyer on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member First Officer
Bran09 First Officer

my favorite is Black Hawk Down and FULLMETALJACKET 😀 OH FORGOT THE aviator with 😀 Leonardo DiCaprio

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

I'm after a bit of info here gents about a movie that's not been made yet 😀 , if anyone comes across some info about the new Dambusters re-make i'd be very interested to know. All i can find out is that it starts filming this spring in New Zealand and the UK and is being produced by Peter Jackson of LOTR and King Kong fame(he's not directing), they have'nt even released the cast list 😳 . They're being very cagey about it! I've been following this for about two years now since the first rumours and that's all i can find out 😳 !

I am sorry Welshflyer I can't help you, I haven't even heard 'rumours'.
I don't think I would be telling you anyway... I am sooooo sulking 😞
(You are soooo in trouble Welshflyer, I'm rounding up a posse as we speak...)

So before you get the idea to 'terminate' this lovely topic, I'd better remind us of this great movie: ➡ ➡ ➡ ➡ ➡ ➡

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EASY RIDER

The lunatic riding pillion with the golden helmet is no other than the original "Wacko Jacko" -- the one and only Jack Nicholson.

Two clips, both with stunning scenery and far out music:

For a synopsis and other interesting info you can read the Wikipedia entry here.

Pro Member First Officer

Like wooow, man!!! Ermm... I forgot what we were talking about. Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh.....
Like later mannn.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

😀 😀 I really must get around to seeing this!

Pro Member First Officer

having done plenty of miles in the saddle of a motorcycle, i can tell you that filming that movie must have been grueling, back breaking labor.
those bikes were not built for comfort by any stretch of the imagination, it was all about looks and straight line power. at slow speeds they would have been tough to handle because of the rake/trail numbers in the front end. hats off to peter fonda and dennis hopper for pulling it off to make one of the all time coolest motorcycle films ever.

***a couple of interesting movies i have seen this year, not old or anything, are "everything is illuminated" and "life is beautiful" look them up on the IMDB for more info. one of them is available for viewing at joox today.

Pro Member First Officer

also i would like to reccomend a few other movies to those of you who might not know much asian cinema

"my sassy girl" and it's prequel "windstruck" if you watch sassy girl i garantee you will love this movie, and then seeing windstruck will be a must see. TRUST ME. (they are korean but sub-titled)

i love samurai films. i love to watch movies about the feudal (edo) period in japan. anytime you speak of these films there are 2 names that always come up, every single time, without fail. the first is director akira kurasawa. you may know his work (uncredited) from all the japanese scenes in the original "tora, tora, tora" see his movie called
"7 samurai" which inspired the american cowboy film "the magnificent 7"
and possibly also "sanjuro" which inspired the clint eastwood film "fist full of dollars" the 2nd name is tochiro mifune, the lead actor in most of kurasawa's films, you may know him as the sub-marine commander in the comedy "1941 with john belushi and dan akroyd.

is 3 other important films and directors of this genre are:

"the twilight samurai" directed by yoji yamada
"goyokin" directed by hideo gosha
and "when the last sword is drawn" directed by yojiro takita
if you don't know much about these kind of films, don't suppose them to be the shaw-brothers type of chinese kung-fu movie where guys fly through the air and chop boulders with their hands. these films are little windows that allow you to peer into the way samurai life actually was during this period. no special effects, just awesome stories, great actors, and awesome cinematography that you might miss out on if someone didn't turn you on to these cool films.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

effieveda wrote:

Like wooow, man!!! Ermm... I forgot what we were talking about. Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh.....

Read Hahaha.. that would be General Custer aka Dennis Hopper 😀
His vocabulary had certainly increased by the time he played the tripped out freelance photographer in 'Apocalypse Now'...
...weird how Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson ended up making it more or less big time in the movie industry whereas Peter Fonda slipped into oblivion. 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hopper was one of my favorite characters in Apocalypse Now... next to Brando of course...

Pro Member First Officer

hopper has played the same charachter in soooo many of the movies he's done, but not all of them. if you are a fan of his, check out his filmography on the IMDB.
nearly 200 films!!! he has done some real classics, like "sons of katy elder" with john wayne, and some real stinkers, like "space truckin"

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Remember this?

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the 'Music' topic or here in the 'Movies'. It works both ways if all you're ever intersted in is a "YouTube-Quick-Fix".

That is the 'Dueling banjos' scene.

"Widely acclaimed as a landmark film, Deliverance is the story of four suburban professional men from Atlanta on a weekend canoe and camping trip. The film is noted for the memorable music scene near the beginning that sets the tone for what lies ahead: a trip into unknown and potentially dangerous territory. In the scene, set at a rural gas station, character Drew Ballinger plays the instrumental "Dueling Banjos" on his guitar with a mentally-challenged hillbilly youth named Lonnie (implied as being an inbred albino in the novel, portrayed by Billy Redden in the film). The boy eventually outplays Drew with his banjo. The song won the 1974 Grammy Award for Best Country Instrumental Performance.

The film was selected by the New York Times as one of "The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made," whilst the viewers of Channel 4 in the United Kingdom voted it 45 in a list of The 100 Greatest Films."

If you want to know more about the movie click HERE.

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's a timeless classic right there.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Everybody seems to be hooked on 'Grey's Anatomy' and 'Plastic Housewives' -- what's the world coming to?
How about watching a classic movie for a change?

Amazing what a decent director and imaginative composer can create. Sadly the YouTube clip doesn't do the musical score which is quite haunting any justice. If you would like to know what it really is supposed to sound like, wrap your ears around this:

The Wikipedia lowdown on the movie can be found HERE.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Seeing that not much is happening in the sky we might as well go to the movies.

These two guys are on a mission from God.

The Blues Brothers

Here's a trailer for those who haven't seen it:

➡ ➡

This is what happened in the tunnel when Jake's Ex catches up with the brothers thirsting for revenge:

[after a burst of gunfire from the Mystery Woman, Jake climbs to his feet, covered in mud from the tunnel floor]
Jake: It's good to see you, sweetheart.
Mystery Woman: You contemptible pig! I remained celibate for you. I stood at the back of a cathedral, waiting, in celibacy, for you, with three hundred friends and relatives in attendance. My uncle hired the best Romanian caterers in the state. To obtain the seven limousines for the wedding party, my father used up his last favor with Mad Pete Trullo. So for me, for my mother, my grandmother, my father, my uncle, and for the common good, I must now kill you, and your brother.
[Jake falls to his knees]
Jake: Oh, please, don't kill us. Please, please don't kill us. You know I love you baby. I wouldn't leave ya. It wasn't my fault.
Mystery Woman: You miserable slug! You think you can talk your way out of this? You betrayed me.
Jake: No I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD.
[Elwood covers his head in anticipation of more gunfire, Jake removes his sunglasses to make a wordless appeal, and the Mystery Woman visibly softens]
Mystery Woman: Oh, Jake... Jake, honey...
[Jake embraces the Mystery Woman and they kiss]
Jake: [to Elwood] Let's go.
[He drops the Mystery Woman and walks off]
Elwood: [to the Mystery Woman as he steps past her] Take it easy.

Here's another clip where the Blues Brothers perform 'I'm a Soul Man'...
If you watch Elwood (the tall cat) dancing you'll understand whom Michael Jackson was trying to emulate... except he could never get it quite right Ha Ha

This movie is all about entertainment, some like the music, some like the dialogues, some like the car chase and some like the Blues Mobile.
I like the lot 😀

There's plenty of info available, just google for it.

Last edited by Tailhook on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer

Definetly the car chase...I think the movie still holds the record for the most amount of cars wrecked in a movie

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer

Cheers Tailhook, I knew I wasn't far off.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

The Mission

A brilliant flick based on events surrounding the Treaty of Madrid in 1750, in which Spain ceded part of Jesuit Paraguay to Portugal.
Very touching in many ways and thought provoking. What were those Popes and Bishops thinking?? Those who have read history will easily be able to relate to the story.
The musical score is by the great Ennio Morricone. There is a short synopsis here at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mission_(film)

Connoisseurs of good film making will not go past this for many reasons. I wasn't sure which YouTube clip to pick, so here's a short one for the impatient -- for the patient there are many more... or, you could just watch the whole movie 😀

For me, the most moving scene in the movie has always been where the Chief of the natives asks the Cardinal whether God had changed his mind...

Pro Member First Officer

Great flick Tailhook,I've seen it quite a few times already,found it very realistic, and even shed a tear there the first time I watched it.
But before I get a bit too soppy, I thought this movie might add a mention,
But mostly for the music - still gives me goose bumps when I hear it

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You've made my day warlord, thanks for bringing up this movie. The Last of the Mohicans

Never seen it and forgotten of its existence. Of course read the first stories in comic books and later the original by Fenimore Cooper. A classic in the true sense. I'll definitely get the DVD, but first I'll read the book again. Read

I'll be looking forward to the musical score by Randy Edelman -- thanks for an unexpected surprise 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain

I have the DVD... a must watch!

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I forgot all about this little gem 😀 , it did'nt have a big cinema release or much coverage but is an absolute belter of a movie that twists and turns everywhere and a shocking surprise in the middle

Definately not for those under 18.

Pro Member First Officer

Havent seen this before, and Im interested. What would you give it out of ten?
There's also a movie coming out soon I've been dieing to watch called 'Iron Man' staring Robert Downey Jnr.
You can catch the anime of how he was created here (the 'iron man' that is) :

Or here to see a preview of the new movie:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/
Should be a top flick.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeah I cannot wait to see that one, if only for the Black Sabbath! hahahaha.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...