Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Rebuilding PC for FSX - XP or Vista? 32 or 64 bit?

Pro Member Trainee
Remy (Remyx) Trainee

The tile says it all.

I am rebuilding a PC for FSX. Specs will be intel dual core 2.8ghz and 3GB ram. Video card will not be DX10.

Would you recommend XP or Vista? And Why?
Is there a benefit or penalty running the 64bit version. I plan go stick to 32bit unless you can tell me there is a significant benefit running 64bit with FSX SP2.

I am not too interested in what makes most sense for the future. I'd like to know what performs best today, with today's hardware and software. Chances are I'll be rebuilding the system a year from now anyway.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

if it was me, i would use xp because it requires far less ram from your computer. vista requires a gig just for the o/s.
better to have all your ram available for fsx than use up some for the o/s
dx10 looks nice but the difference in fsx really isn't that great as far as i can tell. other games seem to take greater advantage of it.
but that's just my opinion. one thing is fact though -- if you are going to use xp do it fast because it will be discontinued this spring in order to force all new computers to use vista, and to avoid people skipping to the next o/s after vista, the way many buisnesses do.

Pro Member Trainee
PhilTaylor Trainee

Remyx wrote:

The tile says it all.

I am rebuilding a PC for FSX. Specs will be intel dual core 2.8ghz and 3GB ram. Video card will not be DX10.

Would you recommend XP or Vista? And Why?
Is there a benefit or penalty running the 64bit version. I plan go stick to 32bit unless you can tell me there is a significant benefit running 64bit with FSX SP2.

I am not too interested in what makes most sense for the future. I'd like to know what performs best today, with today's hardware and software. Chances are I'll be rebuilding the system a year from now anyway.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

the main benefit I see is the 64-bit machine can see more than 4G of physical RAM, which can reduce paging.

from my watching the many forums I do, it appears the gap in driver quality ( 64-bit drivers were not as good as 32-bit drivers ) appears to be much reduced so the "penalty factor" is less now than it used to be.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

cheezyflier wrote:

one thing is fact though -- if you are going to use xp do it fast because it will be discontinued this spring..

I'd sure appreciate some sort of link to an article where you read that... two or three would even be better.
Then there's the little but significant difference between an OS being 'discontinued' or no longer supported. Any ideas?

Pro Member Trainee
PhilTaylor Trainee

Tailhook wrote:

cheezyflier wrote:

one thing is fact though -- if you are going to use xp do it fast because it will be discontinued this spring..

I'd sure appreciate some sort of link to an article where you read that... two or three would even be better.
Then there's the little but significant difference between an OS being 'discontinued' or no longer supported. Any ideas?

"supported" and "being actively sold" are 2 different beasties.

from what I see, Windows SPs are supported for 24 months after release:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=lifecycle
and SP3 came out last Dec, eg Dec 2007, so that translates to Dec 2009 for SP3 to be supported.

with that said, XP came out in 2001, and is now going on 7 years old. Todays date is well past the 5 years of consumer support and heading towards the 10 years of business support that the lifecycle policy specifies.

at some point, you just have to let go...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

PhilTaylor wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

cheezyflier wrote:

"supported" and "being actively sold" are 2 different beasties.

That's pretty much what I said... no? I was hoping for a less cryptic response . I'm aware that you're revered as the guru when it comes to FSX and all the various updates and patches that seem to be required to run it.
Anything else in your reply is certainly no news to most of us. "at some point, you just have to let go..."
One gets the impression that you get a 10% cut for each copy of Vista being sold.

PS: I have read parts of your blog sporadically but hey you seem to be forgetting that the majority of simmers are even less literate than I am and many haven't got enough time to cram before loading the sim for the sole purpose of enjoyment.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Hay Tailhook, lighten up..

THE MAN has to make a livin. I've got an unused purchase of Vista on the shelf and am still running XP. Wouldn't it be typical if I wait for something better in an OS?

There's an XP service pack 3 ??? Does automatic updates install it?

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

i take it as encouraging to see phil's posts. to me it means they (ms) are keeping an eye on things, trying to "feel the pulse" of the hobby. i would imagine it's hard for him to not feel defensive when defending is what he does so much of.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I hate to be the lone decenter but SP3 for XP has yet to come out.

SP3 for Windows XP Professional is currently planned for 1H CY2008. This date is preliminary.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

XP for sale will be stopped soon or now, I can't remember.
Support for home use will continue for another year and to business subscribers it will be supported until 2014.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
PhilTaylor Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

I hate to be the lone decenter but SP3 for XP has yet to come out.

SP3 for Windows XP Professional is currently planned for 1H CY2008. This date is preliminary.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

XP for sale will be stopped soon or now, I can't remember.
Support for home use will continue for another year and to business subscribers it will be supported until 2014.

Radar

yeah, I guess its just the RC for XP SP3 that is out

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=75ED934C-8423-4386-AD98-36B124A720AA&displaylang=en

Pro Member Trainee
Remy (Remyx) Trainee

Many thanks guys for the active discussion.

Being an IT professional (for the last 12 years), I am well aware of the versions, support issues and service packs available.

What I am interested in your your opinion and experience when it comes to running FSX.

Anyone has tried both OSes? Any significant difference?

My machien will not have more than 4GB Ram, so the larger addressable memory with 64bit OS is not really interesting to me.

Thank you,
Remy

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Remyx (thread originator) asks agin;

Anyone has tried both OSes? Any significant difference? Video card will not be DX10

Weell, I've not tried both operating systems (OSs), but have listened and watched carefully those who have. For me the big change has come with how FSX sp2 or Accelleration expansion pack handles older addon graphics.

Before FSX Sp2 running on Xphome Sp2

After installing FSX Sp2 running on Xphome Sp2

That's the same addon aircraft.

I'd say Xp sp2 (DX9c) is very competitive with Vista (DX9L) running FSX sp2 or acelleration.
and
There's a huge break with older addon resources after FSX Sp2 or acelleration.

Since you aren't building a box around a DX10 vid card, I see little reason to use Vista, and if you want to adopt older addons I wouldn't install FSX sp2 or acelleration!

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Yeah, I agree with oldsamer. Another note about FSX SP2, is that it has problems with those using nVidia drivers/ graphics cards. I had to uninstall sp2 and the crashes stopped.

- Kareem[/b]