Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Get rid of I.E. !!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

"New variations of the AdWare Vapsup adware are appearing. This adware is known to add a toolbar to Internet Explorer that displays popup windows and forces users to install rogue antispyware applications. Our database already includes over 60 variations of this adware."

Source: Spyware Terminator Center

...yet ANOTHER reason to finally ditch I.E. Wean yourself off Prozac and use FirefoxCLICK instead.

Pro Member Captain
walesdragon Captain

I've used firefox for ages! Do you know why? Because I'm awesome! And due to the fact that I.E is much more slower on my comp.

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

As I'm a web designer, I've got every browser going on my pc for testing sites

However, I still use IE as my primary, probably for about 15 hours every day

It's lightening fast for me, my system has never been hacked, i have no spyware

Have a good hardware firewall, don't spend time on dubious sites and you'll be fine

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

still firefox is the best imo

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

walesdragon wrote:

I've used firefox for ages! Do you know why? Because I'm awesome! And due to the fact that I.E is much more slower on my comp.

Who cares if your awesome, does that really make a difference 🙄
PS: Yeah what Goodison said 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

GoodisonBlue wrote:

As I'm a web designer,...

...as such it might come as a surprise to you that the majority of simmers are nowhere near your level of expertise.

You belong yet to another minority group: Those who keep endorsing I.E. with religious fervor yet stubbornly refuse to explain in which respects Firefox is inferior to I.E.

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

GoodisonBlue wrote:

As I'm a web designer,...

...as such it might come as a surprise to you that the majority of simmers are nowhere near your level of expertise.

You belong yet to another minority group: Those who keep endorsing I.E. with religious fervor yet stubbornly refuse to explain in which respects Firefox is inferior to I.E.

I disagree, Tailhook.

Goodisonblue is simply expressing an opinion. That being said, (although I'm certainly no computer expert!) my brother uses Firefox and loves it. I suppose it's personal preference.

Regards, mate.

Lee

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

It's not a matter of expertise mate, I only mentioned the web designer thing to explain why I had so many different browsers in use on one pc

It's just a case of which I feel more comfortable using

I think a lot of people bash ie simply because it's the done thing to swipe at Microsoft

Each to their own as others say

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Wait.... you mean there is another browser out there other than FIREFOX????

WHO KNEW?!?!?!?!

Pro Member Captain
Duncan (Razgr1z912) Captain

Now do you know why I.E. is 'so bad'?

Most people that are professionals don't waste time getting things like firefox (adults) because it possibly has a virus. They will stick with I.E. and use Paypal, Credit Card payments, and other things that deal with real money. Hackers know these kind of things and so they make viruses for I.E. to get the real money and not the son/daughter's gift card.

So.. The moral of the story is.. USE FIREFOX!

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

Razgr1z912 wrote:

Now do you know why I.E. is 'so bad'?

Most people that are professionals don't waste time getting things like firefox (adults) because it possibly has a virus. They will stick with I.E. and use Paypal, Credit Card payments, and other things that deal with real money. Hackers know these kind of things and so they make viruses for I.E. to get the real money and not the son/daughter's gift card.

So.. The moral of the story is.. USE FIREFOX!

lol so right

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

GoodisonBlue wrote:

It's not a matter of expertise mate, I only mentioned the web designer thing to explain why I had so many different browsers in use on one pc

It's just a case of which I feel more comfortable using

I think a lot of people bash ie simply because it's the done thing to swipe at Microsoft

Each to their own as others say

I just wanna make it clear that I'm not having a dig at YOU...ok?

You don't have to be a web designer to have several browsers installed. Some hobbyists like myself simply like to experiment, compare and draw their own conclusions instead of believing any rumour they hear.

Of course you're going to use the browser you feel most comfortable with. That any kind of 'comfort' has it's roots in tradition, habits, familiarity and dare I say complacency will be a difficult argument to disprove.

There 'may' be people who bash I.E. because it's a Microsoft product, though I have yet to meet those. Ask any Firefox user whether they have switched from I.E. to FF because it's fashionable and you'll find the answer is NO. Ask them why they DID make the switch and you'll find that the answers again are all the same.
I too know people who will cling to I.E. as if their life depended on it. Without exception they are either nice, elderly ladies whose only use of their computer is the daily ritual of checking their e-mails, or our younger members of society for whom it is just too un-cool to 'downgrade' to a blander looking Firefox. That's understandable from our point of view being well aware of the obsession with blinking lights and exciting sounds, cool effects and eyecandy.

Each to their own... or whatever floats your boat are platitudes I also use more often than I'd like to.
In this context I think it is out of place though. This is a forum where we try to find the best overall solutions. In your first post you're suggesting to 'have a good hardware firewall'... if you don't trust my judgement, I'd ask you to conduct a poll to see how many members of this forum use a Hardware Firewall. After you've studied the results of that poll, which I guarantee you are predictable even now, take it upon yourself and help us all to be safer while using the internet.
Then you'll have to decide which approach will bear fruit:

1. Explain to us which Hardware Firewall is most suitable for all of us, how to install/configure it and how much it is going to cost (if that's the case)

2. Suggest that we use a browser that has been proven in every corner of the globe over and over again to be safer, faster, more flexible and doesn't cost a cent.

Obviously I don't expect you to go through with that... it's merely something to think about.
One thing I would ask you to do though if at all possible is to read my OP again, the quote in particular and make a list for us of the 'dubious sites' we should avoid so as not to attract the 'AdWare Vapsup' nuisance.

Thank you for your labour of love in advance and I think now you deserve a beer 🍻

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

Maybe ie really is the software of doom, i've been using it daily for years and I don't have any spy/malware but perhaps i'm just lucky i dunno

Pages load instantly as a rule for me but if firefox is quicker for you that's great 🙂

IE inevitably has more holes at the moment because it is more popular thefore a bigger target for the hackers

As Firefox's popularity increases, it will start getting more holes like this etc

http://dailyapps.net/2007/11/firefox-security-threat-google-is-vulnerable/

However, each to their own and I aplogise if I came across as arrogant , that wasn't my intention

p.s NetGear DG834G is excellent 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

GoodisonBlue wrote:

Netgear Router DG8 34G - plug it in, enter your broadband settings away you go

Is this what you're talking about?

I have a NETGEAR DG8 34G router that runs from my DELL PC and allows me and my family to access the internet wirelessly from out laptops. Both the PC and all laptops are Windows XP versions. I had some trouble getting onto the internet a while back so I called up AOL and they said the router had gone offline. They helped me reconnect it but ever since my wireless network has gone wrong.

The network that we all usually use disappeared and an old one reappeared. The old did not have a password or anything so I followed the AOL steps to create a secure network. I can connect to the new secure network if I am in the same room at the router but as soon as I leave the room the new network disappears from the “available wireless networks” page on the laptop and the only one available is the old network which doesn’t even work if I connect it.

I have spent an hour and a half on the phone to AOL and they were no help at all. In the end they told me to do re-install drivers or something like that and that means nothing to me. I really don’t have a clue what to do as everything was working fine and now its gone up the creak!

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/692283-network-help-please-netgear-dg8.html

You forgot to mention the price... compared to that of FF
The 'plug it in, enter your broadband settings away you go' will need more instructions if you have read these forums at all...

If ie really is the software of doom, how come i've been using it daily for years and I don't have any spy/malware ?

Maybe because you're not running the appropriate apps to detect the junk your I.E. has 'secretly' accumulated??

Recently I read an article in the leading local PC magazine. The author boldly claimed that Vista was the best ever MS OS and that he didn't understand why so many users were giving it the thumbs down.
I happen to know this author and also know how he uses his computer and which apps and progs he runs... (BTW, he identifies himself as an IT specialist in that article)... well, he runs the basic scanning apps which, needless to say, are already Vista compatible, Office '07 (for some reason he hasn't run into problems with that prog yet... I suspect he doesn't really run it, he's just got it installed) ...it is important to understand that he doesn't run ANY games... let alone MSFS.
In fact, apart from his benchmark utilities and his e-mail client he doesn't run much at all, why should he, he's an I.T. Pro who has no need to bother with trivial rubbish of any other kind.

You Sir, appear to be one of us, a flightsimmer... I expect more from you.

Maybe, i'm just lucky i dunno

This is one thing I do know for certain: As sure as there is no tooth fairy, there is no such thing as luck 😳

When i enter a page, it loads instantly as a rule, don't really see how it can be much quicker

This sounds very sincere - I suspect you own a killer rig or at least a decent CPU (and probably sufficient RAM).

Obviously, when you have enough power to burn, you don't notice the difference between the blink of an eye and half-a-blink of an eye.

I've noticed that you're reluctant to tackle any of the challenges I've thrown at you... no hard feelings, promise. But here's an easy one:
Open ten tabs in I.E. each tab displaying a different web page. Check the Performance tab in your Task Manager.
Now (after you have closed I.E.) open ten tabs in FF displaying exactly the same pages you did in I.E. and compare the performance. What are the results? Can you honestly say that FF uses the same resources that I.E. does?... No. So, what's the difference?
You might look at this as trivia, but to us simmers this DOES matter.

I hope you and I are all right GoodisonBlue. I'm convinced that I'm not the only one who wishes to discover and to learn... anything that's better and more practical than what we are using presently is a revelation.
...besides, like 'The Blues Brothers' long before me, I'm on a mission from God: My mission is to convert the infidels (I.E. users) to the true faith: FIREFOX!!

Thankfully, to change from one browser to another is not considered to be apostasy therefore hearken ye: You will NOT automatically be eligible for the death penalty Group Wave

Now if that's not a reason to celebrate, nothing is

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

Thanks for the epic mate 🙂

I do run regular spyware tests and all is clean

I'm actually running at present a three year old compaq laptop, so no, not cutting edge, pages just seem to load quickly, maybe i am lucky after all?

I've installed that router for over 10 clients, entered the broadband settings, and all has worked instantly but hey there you go - just lucky again perhaps

Seriously though, we'll just have to agree to differ as I have too much work to get through to keep on with this

All I can say, which is what I was saying all along was that IE works great for me, if it doesn't for you that's cool. It's not about being relunctant, I simply don't have the spare time and my answer was only supposed to be about sticking up for sometihng that worked for me so there's no need for me to switch.

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

LOL, Tailhook! 😂

But, hang on - THERE'S NO TOOTH FAIRY!!?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

...oh what an anti-climax sob sob 😞 ...and I thought we had something going here... I guess now I'll just go and eat worms... ...or better yet:

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions