SearchSearch 

Does Vista make a differance?

Pro Member Trainee
Pappy55 Trainee

After updateing all my drivers and useing the service pack for FSX i have seen a major differance. I can put the settings on prertty much ultra high.

This is on XP too

I have vista 64bit sitting ready to install just put it off all this time.

I was just wonderng how much better it would be on Vista with DX10.

I am running with

Intel Dual Core 3ghz
4Gb ram
Nvidia Gforce 8800 GTX 768mb

4 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

you've got the same set up as me Pappy, hehehe, except for some reason,I cant install SP3.

Pro Member Trainee
Pappy55 Trainee

Ok so a year later I finally swallow my pride and install vista..

So far I must say I am very suprised..

Driver support is a hell of alot better..

My DX10 games work nice

I dident notise a massive change in FSX but I guess now vista is getting beter it needs tome to mature with DX10 drivers.. and i am not complaing being able to have it very playable on ultra high.. Just wish i could max all them sliders hehe..

So I am no longer a Vista hater..

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Pappy55 wrote:

My DX10 games work nice

I dident notise a massive change in FSX but I guess now vista is getting beter it needs tome to mature with DX10 drivers..

According to some the issue is neither DX10 nor Vista but FSX itself. You are saying what I have read in several articles i.e. that the only DX10 game that seems to be lacking is FSX.

What we have is a REALLY shoddy product from Microsoft and the "Aces" team and it has nothing to do with nVidia nor ATI. It is code that has be ported and tweaked from the days of FS 2000. Microsoft/Aces have openly admitted that they did not re-write FSX, they "tried" to work with very old, very dated legacy code to get a product done and shipped. If you read Phil Taylor's blog (he IS the Project Manager for FSX), he clearly talks about "deliverables" and how he has met them. This unfortunately is standard way of doing business at Microsoft -- it doesn't matter if the product is good, bad, finished, or 70% done so long as they have "met" their deliverables.

One MAJOR problem with Phil Taylor's comments is that Entertainment software (that is what FSX really is) does NOT follow the same development path as business software. There really is no such thing as a "fixed" deliverable in the entertainment world. Entertain software doesn't meet deliverables it needs to meet a higher expectation level to be sellable to end consumers.

I'd suggest you stay with FS9 and/or XPlane -- FSX is a product to skip.

The above is a part of a post in this thread:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=42960

Pro Member Trainee
Kc (puppy-paw) Trainee

hay mate i have vista and it works on mine and never hasnt do i dont know why it wouldent??!!??