SearchSearch 

Looking for a new set of flight controls

Pro Member Trainee
Chris (chrisjoi) Trainee

I have been using a CH Flight Yoke and rudder pedals. I am looking for something more precise, have considered going with a true joystick versus the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke.

does anyone have any suggestions on flight controls?

I fly singles for the most part and need more precise stick response along with throttle, trim, and flaps. Most other controls I use the mouse and virtual cockpit.

7 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

I've got the saitex x52, which is electronically identical to the x52 pro. It's a great stick, but I wouldn't say it's incredibly precise. In addition to x, y, rudder, and throttle axes it has 2 wheels and a slider. I've got the wheels set to mixture, prop, and spoilers, and when any of them aren't pegged you can see the levers in the vc dancing around slightly because of the noise from the stick.

However, it has so many buttons that I get lost on it, and between the different profiles, shift states, and pinky shift button combinations you can fly just about any plane from takeoff to touchdown without ever taking your hands off the stick and throttle.

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

The X52 is fantastically precise. I've got the Pro and can't work out how to program it, cos I don't do technology very well, but as a flight control system it is brilliant. It's by far the best system if you fly helicopters, but just as effective with fixed wing aircraft.

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

Sorry, Traches- I misread what you posted! You don't feel that the system's too precise? Embarassed

I'm surprised. I really do find it right on the ball.

Pro Member Trainee
Chris (chrisjoi) Trainee

Thanks for the information on the X52. I tried one a while back and found the number of buttons and switches overwhelming. It was a very nice stick though.

Has anyone tried the Saitek Aviator? http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/av8r.htm

The aviator looks a little simpler to program and operate than the X52. Easier for my limited mental capacity to handle.

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

It was my old stick, for $30 it was well worth it.

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

Well, the aleron, rudder, and elevator axes are plenty precise and I guess they're the important ones. Sometime map something like mixture to one of the wheels and set it at about 3/4, and then look at the lever in the virtual cockpit. Same thing happens with the throttle... it wiggles around because of the noisy signal it gets. But then, I've got my sensitivity at max and null zones at nothing...

As for the buttons and switches, install the programming software that comes with it. It helps you figure out what buttons are where, and you can map buttons to keystrokes rather than sorting them out in FS. Also, the 3 shift states, pinky - shift button combos, and on the fly profile changes are pretty much teh sechs

Pro Member First Officer
zakk hutton (chez64) First Officer

the best combo ever! (for a reasonable price)

SAITEK

X52 Pro Flight Control System
Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
Pro Flight Yoke System

cost me £250 for all the stuff from the flight sim show in Birmingham 😀 😀 😎 😎