SearchSearch 

Flying by the book...

Pro Member Trainee
claytonlocher Trainee

Hey All,
Ever since I learned the FeelThere ERJ-145 PIC inside and out, I've been obsessed with flying by the book and implementing the absolute most realistic procedures possible. This unfortunate "condition" has taken a toll on my simulator flying. I maybe fly one complete flight every two months or so, when I used to fly two or three every week.

The whole problem is that I only fly 1-2 hour flights, since I hate sitting in front of an autopilot for 5 or 6 hours, and I plan for these flights for at least an hour off and on until I'm ready to start flying. Additionally, I have started about half a dozen flights in the past two weeks, only to quit half-way because of not wanting to sit there in cruise or the flight didn't go "smoothly" and "realistically."

So, my questions/comments are: Are there any of you that are "obsessed" with flying by the book all the time? Do you think I should give up ultra-realistic flying? What type of flying do you think I should try (long hauls, short hauls, general aviation, special operations, etc.)? What should I do during cruise on even a short-haul flight, especially if there is no FMC or other complex systems in a simple aircraft?

I understand this may seem a bit odd, but it has really begun to take a toll on enjoying Flight Simulator, and I hope someone can help. As some of you may know, I kind of have this problem with virtual airlines also... 😉 😂 😀 🙂 😞 Surprised 😳 😕 😎 😳

3 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

claytonlocher wrote:

As some of you may know, I kind of have this problem with virtual airlines also... 😉 😂 😀 🙂 😞 Surprised 😳 😕 😎 😳

Indeed... Read Idea

😀 Two words: Helicopters and Carrier Operations. I guess you are touching on COPS when you mention 'special operations'.
You might have to do more hand-flying than you're used to, but you won't have a dull moment let alone get bored - that's a promise. Yes

Good luck!

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

You may be OCD (just kidding)

Pro Member Trainee
claytonlocher Trainee

emerald_flag wrote:

for flying by the book on a flight you dont want to wait for use time acceleration for the auto pilot and just pilot the landing and take off or try vatsim

I forgot to mention that I do not like to "cheat" at all, and that again is where the realism and flying by the book factor come in to play.

Also, I do have OCD (self diagnosed) 😂 😉 😳 . That may be a part in it, too. I've been flying and contolling on VATSIM for three years now, so that idea is already used up. 😉