Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Wings of Gold

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

I don't know but it's been said that Air Force wings are made of lead and i don't know but i've been told that Navy wings are made of Gold Very Happy . I've been and am still in the process of rebuilding my Carrier fleet. So rather than be shy and keep it to myself i thought i'd share Very Happy , so this thread might go on for a while Rolling Eyes . We start off in a hardened shelter at RAF/USAF Lakenheath for a short 200 mile flight

We start up and taxi

It's a long taxi here Rolling Eyes
Finally we reach the runway,final check and look around and advance the throttles

It's a beautiful day to fly Very Happy

Passing the new Ark Royal Carrier group......

......because we're headed for the old one Razz

Looking good so far

And put it down right on the money Shocked for a change

Fold the wings and park up

Thanks for taking the time to view these there will be another along soon Very Happy Rolling Eyes !

Pro Member Captain
Bran09 Captain

nice pics and awsome carrier landing! Very Happy

Pro Member Captain
Luke (warlord40) Captain

Nice lookin aircraft Welsh Very Happy
No AB?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Alright!!! Back in the saddle Welsh and with the navy no less!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks gents, warlord40 i think you mean Air Brake by AB, as full power is applied before landing in case the wire is missed and we have to bolter i did'nt apply it! The three wire is all the braking you need Smile.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Chief Captain

Nice pictures welsh,

Love the aircraft (My Fav combay Jet) also very nice landing as Warlord already said.

Great pics.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

Thanks gents, warlord40 i think you mean Air Brake by AB, as full power is applied before landing in case the wire is missed and we have to bolter i did'nt apply it! The three wire is all the braking you need Smile.

Welsh, he means afterburner.

Pro Member Captain
Luke (warlord40) Captain

^^yip^^(sorry I should of elaborated)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Sorry about that, beer in, brains out Cheers!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Time to leave the Ark back to dry land in the Hawk T5C or Goshawk

Touching down at NAS Yeovilton in South Devon

Back soon Very Happy . Thanks for looking.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Nice flight there WF

Is that a UKMIL plane ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks morris91, it's the freeware DSB/IRIS Goshawk with a nice Royal Navy texture pack i found at Avsim! Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

Thanks morris91, it's the freeware DSB/IRIS Goshawk with a nice Royal Navy texture pack i found at Avsim! Very Happy

Oh Right, It just looked a lot like UKMIL when i looked at it first. Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

We've been to the old Ark Royal so now using a bit of "Wizardry" Very Happy we go to the new one from NAS Yeovilton in the Merlin

Thanks for looking, see you soon! Very Happy

Pro Member Captain
Luke (warlord40) Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

Sorry about that, beer in, brains out Cheers!

No worries mate! for me its Bundaberg rum in...
That chopper looks kinda 'blocky' at the back(tail) is that how it really looks?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

That's a very good observation and i asked myself the same thing and the answer is no...here's what it should look like http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1063882/

Pro Member Captain
Luke (warlord40) Captain

I see...

Let me guess.........Abacus product?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Welsh you done it again! Stellar job there... your helo landings make me look bad... mine usually start with what I call "the yoyo approch" and end in flaming hunk of metal slamming into the deck.

Pro Member Captain
Luke (warlord40) Captain

I can imagine it now... Bel's landing.... FIRE EXTINGUISHERS READY???

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeah that's pretty accurate!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Smile Smile , thanks bel, warlord40 it's actually a freeware from UKMIL!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Question Question Question Question Sad

Pro Member Captain
Luke (warlord40) Captain

What happened?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

I think he posted some pics put theyve gone walkabouts Confused

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

What happened gents was i posted them on the 14th and after 3 days without a single comment i decided to delete them on the 17th as i thought everyone had lost interest! So i decided to bring this thread to a swift end!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Now why would you do a silly thing like that...
sheesh welsh! We LOVE your stories... now repost them before I have to get medeival on you!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

What happened gents was i posted them on the 14th and after 3 days without a single comment i decided to delete them on the 17th as i thought everyone had lost interest! So i decided to bring this thread to a swift end!

Sad

Pro Member First Officer
CaptDennison First Officer

All the shots here are terrific! I think the helo pilot might have found himself in front of his C/O for landing so close to the edge--but great stuff

Pro Member First Officer
Concorde105 First Officer

^^Yep!^^

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

CaptDennison wrote:

All the shots here are terrific! I think the helo pilot might have found himself in front of his C/O for landing so close to the edge--but great stuff

Nice to see ya Denny Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks for the kind comments gents Very Happy , sorry for the delay but i've been a bit busy having another Grand-daughter Very Happy Very Happy . So back to business, these next two flights i am going to call the "TAILHOOK MISSIONS" cos i just know he'd love this and i hope he comes back soon.
Firstly we start with the F-18 on the Waikato Class Carrier

System check and start up

Extend the wings and taxi

Ready on the Cat

Hell of a ride Very Happy

Climb out

"Tailhook 01 looking for some fuel"
"Roger,clear to form on the right"

Closing on the tanker

Returning to base

Result mission failure, only 300lbs passed!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

TAILHOOK MISSION 2
This time we try to get fuel in the A-6 Intruder from the USS Stennis
Systems check

Ready on the Cat

Where is it?

"Tailhook 02 has visual"

"Roger Tailhook 02, clear to close"

Result, a little bit better but only 1000lbs fuel passed.
Just for your info gents this is a little addon programme that is contained in the "Just Flight RAF Tornado" that i've had for a few years and am now only discovering Shocked , the nice thing is, as you can see is that you can use it with any aircraft within FS9 Very Happy !
P.S You don't have to actually hit the drogue but just get close to it for fuel to pass to your aircraft, but it's still pretty hard to maintain speed and formation with the tanker! These guys are pretty special to do it for real Shocked !

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Your beautiful pics make me want to get FS back right now.
Im gonna go through all the stuff, i want FS back NOW!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

C'mon Cheeks, you just know FS9 Rules and FSX Drools Drool Very Happy !

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

C'mon Cheeks, you just know FS9 Rules and FSX Drools Drool Very Happy !

Most definately. The problem is that I've lost all 3 disks but No. 4. I dont know what to do Sad

Pro Member Chief Captain

OH MY!!!

Welsh you have just about MADE my day! Congrats on the granddaughter by the way!!!

See these were what I was waiting for. I love that F-18 texture!!!!!!

Even the A6 was awesome.

Pro Member Captain
Luke (warlord40) Captain

I sit in awe Surprised nice work....in both departments Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

I love pic 9 of the Intruder

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks very much gents it is very much appreciated!

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

WOW WF that's a steady hand with those refueling missions. Fantastic shots! Cheers!

Pro Member Chief Captain

I cannot do a refuel to save my life... and I spent years using Falcon 4.0

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

WOW! I don't know what else to say. Those are, without a doubt, the most dramatic shots I've ever seen. You really managed to capture the essence of carrier operations. I had the privilege of spending two years on a carrier way back in the late fifties, and you brought back some fabulous memories to me. For that, I thank you.

Cheers!

Warmest regards ... Art

PS: Concratulations Grand-pa, were's my cigar? Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks all Very Happy , the next Tailhook Mission is a flight from the USS Ronald Reagan to Fighter Town USA or otherwise known as NAS Miramar Very Happy in a favourite of mine, the S-3 Viking (i got the launch and trap gauges working Art Very Happy ).Thanks for the congrats bel and Art Very Happy the Cigars and beers are on me Cheers!

P.S Did i mention that Miramar used to be Tomcat heaven Rolling Eyes and that there are one or two here Shocked

Thanks for taking the time to look gents! Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain

WOOHOO!!! Some Viking action!!!

I love it!

Pro Member First Officer

Great shots again WF. My S3,s don't look anywhere as good as yours. How do you do it? And all those Tomcats at Miramar, how in the world did you get so many of them to pose for you? Since you launched from the "Ronnie", I assume that you have Flight Deck 4. I've got the FSX version, and the ship, along with it's associated aircraft, really look like crap. I suppose I should blame FSX for that. Anyway, congrats on some more fine shots of Naval Air at its best.

Cheers!

Best regards ... Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks gents Very Happy , what can i say about FSX Art, apart from the fact that it's sitting on my shelf consigned to gathering dust Rolling Eyes . As for all the Tomcats this a great piece of scenery by Military AI Works and is
Maiw_top_gun.zip at Avsim Very Happy .
Now the next Tailhook mission Very Happy .
Which one is ours again? Confused No wonder Tom Cruise had a smile on his face all the way through Top Gun Very Happy .

Request flyby, Negative Ghostrider the pattern is full Very Happy

Thanks very much for taking the time to view gents! Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer

Alright WF. I've had just about enough of this! Your pics look so good that you're just gonna have to tell the rest of us poor schmucks how you do it. I'm so jealous, I could cry. Sad

Cheers!

Best regards ... Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Belgeode is gonna love this I think.....NOT MEANING THAT I DONT!! Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain

you have NOOOO idea. Ok Welsh fess up, I must have it all!!!!

Pro Member Captain
Duncan (Razgr1z912) Captain

With my guess, he finds a very good plane with good texture care (weathering, blending, alpha, etc.), finds an o.k. terrain mesh, and then he just goes bingo getting the right angles.

Very nice so far WF! (I know I haven't been commenting.)

Edit:
I have the IRIS Tomcat that is an installer for FS2004 and FSX.
Welsh, get a multiplayer session up and we can do this lol.

Its at 4:01

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Razgr1z912 wrote:

With my guess, he finds a very good plane with good texture care (weathering, blending, alpha, etc.), finds an o.k. terrain mesh, and then he just goes bingo getting the right angles.

Very nice so far WF! (I know I haven't been commenting.)

Pretty much spot on Very Happy . Flight One Ground Environment, FS Global SE, the Miramar link is at the top of the post, the F-14 is here
http://www.simviation.com/fs2004military130.htm 4th from bottom to which i added this update 7th down http://www.simviation.com/fs2004military69.htm which gets rid of those huge Nav lights and reduces them to something more realistic and the texture for this set is by Heather Sherman at Avsim and is f14-201-hr.zip

Thanks very much for the comments Very Happy !

I just knew it was going to be that bit Very Happy Very Happy

Pro Member Captain

Did I edit it too late or did you see it?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Razgr1z912 wrote:

Did I edit it too late or did you see it?

We seem to be posting at the same time but i saw it Very Happy , i might have to try it out!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Welsh does that version of the tomcat have working landing lights? Seems Dino's version does not and I am tired of fighting with it to add them in.

And the carriers... how do you get the AI on them and do they actually "work" properly? (trap on 3 wire, launch at specific times, etc...) OMG if I can get that all in business I would have a blast!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Just checked it out bel and it does not have landing lights Sad .
The Carrier in the Tomcat set is from Abacus Flight Deck 4 and contains ai taking off and landing.Most of the freeware carriers don't have AI, but not all Very Happy . Two that spring to mind are waikato1.zip (this has AI on deck) and Stenheli.zip (that has AI Coast Guard helos flying back and forth to Newport and one parked on the deck), both of these are at Avsim.
The aircraft i use do indeed launch and trap on the carriers Very Happy , for this i use Rcbco-20.zip (Avsim), the gauges go into the FS9 gauges and then you put the relevant entries into the panel cfg so you have launch and arrestor gauges in the panel. This way there is no messing with launch and trap zones on every carrier, once installed in the panel you're good to go from any carrier Very Happy !
In this image you can see the launch and trap gauges in the bottom right hand corner

when installing in the panel you have to figure out placing and sizing (which i have'nt got a clue about so sometimes they end up in the middle of the canopy Shocked ) or put them in place of something you don't use i.e sometimes i put the catapult where the map icon is and keep the size next to it.
There is also quite a bit of info here https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/25872/carrier-pack/
If you need anymore help don't hesitate to ask i'd be glad to help.
PS Some panels (like the one above) and the one in the F-14 come with these icons already installed, which makes it easier again.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Back to the 50's for this one (i sound like JiveBunny there Very Happy ), from Malta to a Nimitz class carrier off the Italian coast (Italian carrier ops at Avsim) in the Hawker Sea Fury.

Thanks for looking gents Very Happy !

Pro Member First Officer

Great again WF. Watta happen youa eetalianno accenta? A, pisan, watsa matta you? Canna youa no spik it noa mora? Shem onna youa!

Cheers!

I see youa aroun' Mebee later, hoaka??? ... Arturo

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

effieveda wrote:

Great again WF. Watta happen youa eetalianno accenta? A, pisan, watsa matta you? Canna youa no spik it noa mora? Shem onna youa!

Cheers!

I see youa aroun' Mebee later, hoaka??? ... Arturo

Worra mistaka to maka Very Happy , i ava notta spoka Italiano forra lonnnnga tima ! I gorra goa now the receptionist atta mya otel shes a wonna seea me Question Rolling Eyes

Pro Member Chief Captain

HAHAHAH OMG you guys have me ROFLing here.

Welsh I am gonna search for those things you mentioned, but I already have the cat and trap gauges.

Pro Member Captain

Ok, I'm not very good with Aircraft Carrier dates, but the USS Nimitz was deployed in the 50's? Woah! Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Razgr1z912 wrote:

Ok, I'm not very good with Aircraft Carrier dates, but the USS Nimitz was deployed in the 50's? Woah! Laughing

Perhaps i should have been a bit more specific! This aircraft originally flew in the 50's and is now preserved by the Royal Navy Historic Flight but in the markings of 802 sqn (which this isn't).This flight took place on June 2nd 2008 to a Nimitz class carrier from the virtual island of Malta whilst i was sat on my arse drinking a can of beer in front of a computer screen. Any inference that the Nimitz was operational in the 1950's was totally unintentional and for that i apologise Very Happy .

Pro Member Captain

Oh Ok! I was so confused.. Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

I quite like this one gents, but as far as i know the US Navy does'nt own any of these but it looks good anyway Very Happy
SU-27 From the Big E to Rome

Right, now where did i put that Italian phrase book?

Pro Member Captain

Laughing

That is Russia's plane. They take off the Kuznetsov.

Pro Member First Officer

Beeee-uuuuu-teeeee-fulllll pics there WF. You rule!!!!!!

Group Wave

Hey Raz, I'll bet he's got one of those Russian ships in his asenal. He'll spring it on us when we least expect it. Personally, I think they got the idea from the old Ark Royal.

Cheers!

Art

Pro Member Captain

effieveda wrote:

Beeee-uuuuu-teeeee-fulllll pics there WF. You rule!!!!!!

Group Wave

Hey Raz, I'll bet he's got one of those Russian ships in his asenal. He'll spring it on us when we least expect it. Personally, I think they got the idea from the old Ark Royal.

Cheers!

Art

Yep, he'll probably go off flying an F/A-18 off it. Laughing

Pro Member Captain
Luke (warlord40) Captain

Stunning shots there Welsh Very Happy , and thanks Raz, had't seen that carrier before. Razz

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Raz, did you read the note he made before he started the pictures Exclamation
Arrow

I quite like this one gents, but as far as i know the US Navy does'nt own any of these but it looks good anyway
SU-27 From the Big E to Rome

Pro Member Chief Captain

Out of all Russian jets I love the SU 27 best. I have to admit that is a lil stretch of the imagination to have US colors on it, but sweet none the less. What does the cockpit look like Welsh?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks for the comments gents!
Raz i am well aware that the SU-27 is a Russian aircraft (as cheeks kindly reminded you Very Happy ,thanks cheeks). The Admiral Kuznetzov is no longer available at Alphasim and that's why i had to use a US carrier and so chose the US Navy textures.
bel this model does'nt come with a panel so i used the recommended one which is ok but not great.

Pro Member First Officer

Here's one Roman that was so aghast at seeing a Russian airplane painted in American livery that he almost choked!!!!

Later ... Art

Pro Member First Officer

It was so cold, that I almost froze my kuznetsov!!!

UUUUGH ... Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Looks just like me Art Very Happy ! When i've been told the pub is closing Shocked .

Just a few shots gents, a Royal Navy Lynx visiting the Spanish Navy.

Thanks for looking!

Pro Member Captain

Very Nice!!

Pro Member Chief Captain

I love those first couple pix... they are looking at it like

"Umm what it do?"

"Uhh I dunno?"

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks Raz and bel Very Happy .
bel it took a while for the last two lines to sink in but i've been giggling for ages now Big Grin

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Very nice, thought the water seems to have lost quality compared to what they normally are Confused

Pro Member First Officer

Fantastic again WF. I just hope "TH" is enjoying this thread as much as the rest of us are.

Cheers!

Art

Pro Member Captain
Luke (warlord40) Captain

yeah...who knows what he's up to, hope he's allright

Pro Member Chief Captain

Has anyone heard from him lately, how is he doing?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Hey guys thanks for your concern I'm alive and kicking Kick

...but let's get back on topic: I thought WF had run out of ideas by now but he seems to visit alien planets when the rest of us mere mortals are asleep Think or perhaps he's an abductee with a chip implant that enables him to come up with more and more fantastic ideas. I thought I'd seen it all, but this just gets better and better.
I only just lost myself in these pages and I so hope that more will be added.
Group Wave Group Wave Group Wave

PS: Welshflyer please quit your day job because we want more, more, more...

Pro Member Captain

I want to see him try to do some more refueling. Also, we could jump on FS9 multiplayer and I could do some topgun tricks while he takes pics Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I'm sure all your dreams will come true, all your wishes will be fulfilled once you ditch FSX and become a real FS9 convert - a purist in other words Devil

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hahahahah if there was any doubt... Tailhook is indeed BACK!