Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

fire....my house caught fire

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

about 10:00 on Saturday June 21 i woke up to find that our garage was completely engulfed in flames....

both me, my dad, and my brother are volunteer firemen... im only 16 but our dept has a junior program, it only resticts us to staying outside, im not aloud to enter a burning structure deemed unsafe. but since my dad and brother are much older they are.
the closest fire dept. is 20 min away because we live far out on a farm in south georgia.

➡ so after finding this i ran to my parents room and told my dad. soon everyone was up and out, me my dad and brother donned our turnout gear ( puting on our protective gear and clothing) our well has a 3" line on it with 250+ PSI because we live so far out we new we would be the first line of defense if this were to happen. it took us about 15 minutes to get the fire contained to the garage.

so anyway my house is currently smoldering, its still livable because the blaze was contained to the garage but im just asking you all to keep my family in your prayers...



Last edited by Jake (JarJarBinks) on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Glad everybody is fine and that the house hasn't suffered any major damage. Thank God for the fie training you and your family has. 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

i wouldnt say the house doesnt have major damage.... the walls dont have fire walls which are boards that lay flat in the walls to keep he fire from walking to different floors and rooms. the 2nd floor above the garage got some major smoke damage and the salvage and overhaul is still going on, (im just taking a bit of a break). we got the power back on just and hour or 2 ago...the roof has some big whole in it for ventilation purposes...our air compressor was in the closet that went first, (that made a big boom), as well as a few gasoline tanks and propane bottles that were sitting outsiade in a wood box that my dad built so the would be weather proof,(not fire proof), luckily those were outside

we think it was caused by an electrical short in one of the garage closets...will have more info on it at a later time

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Did you call the fire department at the end to determine the actual cause?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

well ya....we called as soon as ever one was out of the house, we couldnt take care of something that big by ourselves, as soon as our dept arrived we finaly were able to knock the fire down, its just a smoldering mess now. salvage and overhaul wont get over till about midnight. im not trying to make myslelf or my dad and brother to be heros. we were just actin gon instinct, training, gut intuition. but the key is if you ever have a fire at your house or anyones house for that matter DONT GO BACK IN!, not for a picture, your wallet, nothing, dog...people think that deaths at fires are caused by the fire/flame/ istelf...but its not, 75-80% of those deaths are from smoke, the fire depletes the air of oxygen, air usually has 21% oxygen, 78%nitrogen, and 1% of other gases.once the air gets below 18 you get dizzie, 12 your unconcious, 8 you DIE in minutes.....il come back and finish this later i gots to get back...

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I'm really sorry to hear this JarJarbinks, but i'm glad you and your family are safe,property can be replaced, people can't, we have an advertising campaign here in the UK and it goes "Get out,Stay out,Call the Fire Service out". Fortunately nobody in your family was hurt! I hope you get things sorted out soon!



Last edited by Welshflyer on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

it burned really hot too....damn it was a hot fire, it was rolling out of it too. the door was shut so when we opened it it flashed over, we had to or we could loose the house. we wouldn't open from inside the house cause that would spread the fire into the house, by opening the door outside the fire could at least stay away from the rest of the house. so anyways the whole garage is destroyed, stairwell upstairs is not very safe.... and i wont be able to get any pics up unfortunatly because of some damage to a closet inside that we kept our cameras.... my phone has a camera but u cant make anything out of the whole thing.

im willing to answer any questions anyone may have about it...STAY SAFE!

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

Very well done. I'm a fellow emergency service worker in the uk, but not in your kine of work. Be very proud of yourself and your family for coping so well.

Hope all goes well. Best of luck.

Lee

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

so far its a pretty hard hit on us emotionally, physically, and FINANCIALLY!

it will be hard to get over this, im just glad it was no worse than it was....

my brothers motercycle, thousands of dollars in tools, and some other expensive odds and ends were lost, that motercycle when up BIG TIME!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

OMG MAN!!!

I feel your pain. February of last year, on the coldest day of 2007 my house burned down due to electrical fire that started in the attic (the landlord had not updated the wiring since the 70s.)

So I know what you are going through.

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this trying time, and I hope like me you all end up back on your feet in no time!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

last night upon further salvaging we made a gruesome discovery that one of our cats was killed in the fire.... the fire rekindled in the attic last night about 11:45, ,but no biggy as everyone was still on scene and got in time....that attic above recieved some damage and we lost several photo albums, home movies, baby toys and clothes and a few odds and ends.... Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

Really sorry to hear about the cat 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

UPDATE:

ok so we just had a guy come a get an estimate on how much this would cost to fix....i think im not sure it was like $ 12-18,000 $/and then the ensurance guy came shortly after, and since the fire was sparked because of faulty wiring when the house was built which was only like 4 1/2 years ago... but the company that built it was very poor, and did not have a very good reputation.

(keep in minds we bought this house when it was in foreclosure 2 years ago...we had 45 acres that sat in front of it and these people had to drive through OUR gate just to get to their house. when we bought this house we got the 15 or so acre that it sat on giving us about 55-60 ish....then we moved from our home in Brunswick to our home here in Jesup.....we are about 3 miles down a dirt road, way out in the country, we barely have a house phone and power... our TV and internet is satellite.
)

ANYWAY ➡

so the ensurance will pay for most everything we lost, and a big chunk of the damage, there is still some stuff that we have to pay for but our insurance really helps...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

BE thankful for that... I did not have insurance when my house burned.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Great news JJ! 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Concorde105 First Officer

Sorry 'bout the cat... That is something money can't replace...(a new cat never feels the same.) Well... Nobody was hurt... Insurance is useful, huh? 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

NEW UPDATE:

woohoo finally finished the house a couple of weeks ago...( i cant smell smoke anymore)..... thank god that fire occurred or we may never have found such a god-awful job of wiring the previous owners had done. while rewiring the garage my dad had damn near the entire house rewired for safety purposes...glad he did cause the wire was terrible, old, frayed, spliced, everything imaginable. i asked him why he had it done and he said he just had a gut feeling, being a former fire inspector/investigator at the department he looked at the wire and said it all posed a serious threat. so after all that got done and the garage re-done, we are SET!

hopefully i dont have to have another thread like this....had a life changing experience today, it all says it in another thread.

happy flying.....

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

the people who did the wiring spliced the wires??? why would you do that unless you put a cap over it but i thought splicing was only used in ropes to fix it from becoming frayed then untangling??

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

splicing wires is not uncommon, unless you do it correctly. they didnt use complete caps, some splices were held together with electrical tape.

the whole situation my dad says looks like they ran out of money in the build and in an effort to try and save money they wired he house themselves because any licensed electrician would no do that.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Great news JJB! 😀

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions