Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

One year unlimited flying...

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

I've been reading this thread on airliners.net forum about United Airlines having regular service to all 50 states back in the 80's and I came across a post that said this

Arrow Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 4):
There was a UA contest back then that awarded some prize to the first traveller who travelled UA to all fifty states.

The prize was 1 year of unlimited air travel on UA, in F.

It was awarded to any Mileage Plus member who fliew UA in/out of airports in all 50 states in 50 days. The contest was "50 states in 50 days". 77 passengers were able to do this.

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 4):
Some people began cheating by doing open jaw terips like ORD-BVT then MHT-ORD, when UA wanted ORD-BVT-ORD-MHT

The June, 1985 issue of Frequent Flyer had an article about this - passengers determined that by, for example, flying to CLT, renting a car, then flying out of CAE, they would need to pay about $16,000 in air fare to visit all 50 states on UA.

You have to admit that is a hell of a prize in the US where flying is pretty much the cheapest and fastest way to get around.

For the whole thrad click on this link
Arrow http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4097411/

Too bad they there aren't any similar contests today. I guess the price of fuel doesn't allow it.

Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

I would have been jump-seating every day!! Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Cheeks wrote:

I would have been jump-seating every day!! Very Happy

As long as you have a valid airline ticket you were good, I guess.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

sign me up! I'll do it.