SearchSearch 

life changing experience

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

WOW....

thank god i have such good connections with the EMS/Fire Departments as being im 16 now i can take the basic EMT/Paramedic classes given for my future career and certification.

so anyway (setting the scene)...

today, i was running an errand for my ROTC Commander to the front office, as i was heading back i witnessed a girl fall to the ground. i was several yards away (30-40), a teacher must have heard it and came out, unsure what had happened began shaking her to wake her up or something, (not something that should be done in these situations, thats why teachers aren't doctors), so anyway I new immediately she had, had a Seizure because her body became extremely tense and she curled into the fetal position on the floor, fists tightly clenched, curled fingers/toes, tight muscles....by this time i had reached the girl and began a physical assessment. she was breathing had a steady pulse all vitals were good except for a bump on the head from the fall which was just gut-wrenching to hear, she was just having a mild seizure. the nurse arrived and took over and thank god i had to do nothing major but if you ever have to witness be a part of something like that, it will change your life......after having this experience it has opened my eyes into my true goal in life and that is to be a paramedic. i guarantee you no other job in the world can be as rewarding as that is.

the good thing about this situation was it was not her first, she has a history of it(which is good because her condition has been diagnosed and is being treated, the cause of it could be many things but the best treatment for her was for her to take her medication and sleep....that is after a medical examination....often times after a seizure it causes the patient to go into a very deep sleep, and at times you just have to let them.....i

im sorry if no one can believe what ive just told you but, i cant help that, things like these happen everyday around the world, i think everyone should know the very basics of first aid, im not asking everyone to be an EMT or paramedic but just have some basic knowledge, it could mean someones life.....

i dont think i saved her life, i dont think im a hero in any sense...i guarantee you you can ask any firefighter/emt/medic anyone and they will say the same thing....im 16 and i feel that i can say this because of some experiences in my life that i can base this on, im not an EMT im not a Paramedic.....im a Junior Volunteer FireFighter, though this year i am eligible to begin my EMT/Paramedic courses as a volunteer and i can say i will pursue it....

happy flying, maybe i can have some time to live an average life away from this stuff, be a normal teenager.....will check back soon enough...

17 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Oh, I believe you OK - my wife is epileptic.

It's good for this girl that you were there and knew what to do - well done to you sir 🍻

And best of luck with your future career - firefighters, EMTs and other First Responders provide a life-saving service.

Pro Member Chief Captain

same to you antone, best wishes

yall can probably tell i like to detail everything, its all detailed to the T

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

it seems to me that firefighters and EMT's are becoming more popular each day.

btw dont expect to have a every event like that you will have to deal with car accidents, death, fires, treating burns wounds etc.. etc... and remember that you will have to deal with very serious things my bro holded a kid that was 7 years in his arms that flew through a car window and they had to peel him off the ground it was a emotional night for him so remember be prepared for those situations and do the best you can.

Best of luck to you and hope you succeed (which i know you will) and dont let those things i said get to you just go there help and forget about it or let your emotions run the first time then you should be fine after that.

Pro Member Chief Captain

my dad has taught me to deal with those the best i can but its different for everyone, but its those kinds of events that make me want to be a firefighter more....i want to make a difference in someones life......i dont want to be remembered as anything, i just want to make a difference and know that if it kills me, that i died giving it my

my dad has told me countless times that too many firefighters are doing it for all the wrong reasons, they want to be heros, they want the glory.....i want the absolute opposite, i dont want to be recognized i dont want that, i want the feeling in my heart that what I DID WAS RIGHT!

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

my dad has taught me to deal with those the best i can but its different for everyone, but its those kinds of events that make me want to be a firefighter more....i want to make a difference in someones life......i dont want to be remembered as anything, i just want to make a difference and know that if it kills me, that i died giving it my

my dad has told me countless times that too many firefighters are doing it for all the wrong reasons, they want to be heros, they want the glory.....i want the absolute opposite, i dont want to be recognized i dont want that, i want the feeling in my heart that what I DID WAS RIGHT!

agreed at our firehouse where my dad was on the volunteer most of the guys there were Censored they were all wannabe's who watched rescue me or some other Censored and thought it was a good idea to join the volunteer fire dept. then slack around and do nothing. on calls only about half not even showed up for calls and then my dad quit because the dept. was messed up and his health. but my brother only has to serve i think 3 years to the fire department.

btw jarjar have you ever seen backdraft?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

And that my dear sir... is what will MAKE you great.

My hat is off to you. You are so young, but you know your path early... I have every confidence that you will succeed on it.

Rock on...

Pro Member Chief Captain

acepilot32 wrote:

btw jarjar have you ever seen backdraft?

my favorite, though nothing they did was actual or by the book it was a good movie, good story line.

my dad was a fireman in that generation, he was a smoke eater.

its sad though belgeode ......my teacher ask us what we plan to do after high school, i tell them i want to be a firefighter/emt they say not to, its not the right path to go on.....im not sure how to say it exactly but they are essentially saying that firefighters arent worth it, and its sad because they probably have seen those firefighters that are there for all the wrong reasons and now think that they all are like that.....

now i want to be one even more to show them that they are wrong, to prove a point.

here is a video from the 2007 Fire School, i got a chance to dress and be part of the action and learned A LOT!! was filmed January of 07 doesnt look it but it was a cold day, cold day for south georgia.

the link came from the department website

http://www.vimeo.com/934446

thats me stepping out of the threshold at 2:17

fill free to look around the department.....

http://www.glynncountyfiredept.org/Department/Overview.htm

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

Well done & good effort.
😎

Pro Member Trainee
Mark (totallyfrozen) Trainee

JarJarBinks wrote:

...my true goal in life and that is to be a paramedic. i guarantee you no other job in the world can be as rewarding as that is...

I'm sure Billy Graham would disagree with you, but I understand your enthusiasm.

After 6 years in the Army as a combat medic and several years before that as an EMT, I certainly believe your story. I saw a middle aged man fall down and have a siezure in the mall once. I've seen a lot more than that but I won't get into it. I wish you lots of success as you pursue your dreams.

Statistically, paramedics burn-out within 5 years of starting their careers in the EMS field. EMS personnel can suffer from PTSD just like soldiers can. Keep this in mind as you pursue your goal; make sure that you learn effective coping skills and take up a hobby or two to relax you during your off time. Make sure you keep friends that DON'T work in emergency services, so that you can relax and talk about something OTHER THAN the calls when you are off work.

One very important thing to remember in EMS (because you WILL lose a few patients--guaranteed) is this...

WE DON'T SAVE LIVES--WE ONLY POSTPONE DEATH.

Think about that for awhile. EVERY human dies sooner or later. Once you grasp that truth, it won't hit you quite as hard when you lose one...because you will sooner or later (it'll still hit you hard, but not as hard). Only God can save a life and He does that according to what He wants--not what we want. You do your best and that's all you can do. You WILL make mistakes; but even if you hadn't made a mistake, that person would have died eventually. So remember that you just do the best you can do at that moment, but don't let yourself take it personally. Everybody makes mistakes. Sometimes, there's nothing you can do. Sometimes, there's nothing ANYONE could do even if your patient was already lying on an operating room table with the surgeon standing there! People die...that's just how it is. You and I will eventually die too...and no one can stop it. Just strive to be the best medic possible.

Pro Member Trainee
Mark (totallyfrozen) Trainee

JarJarBinks wrote:

...my teacher ask us what we plan to do after high school, i tell them i want to be a firefighter/emt they say not to, its not the right path to go on.....im not sure how to say it exactly but they are essentially saying that firefighters arent worth it...

A question for you:

Other people can often see things in us and about us that we cannot see. Teachers are usually very good at seeing things about their students that the students themslelves cannot see.

So my question is: Are you sure that the teacher was implying that it's not worth it for a person to be a firefighter/EMT?

Or do you think he was saying that he doesn't think it's right for YOU?

Maybe he's seen personality traits or interests that you have which indicate that you would not be happy as a firefighter and/or EMT.

Just something to think about. Having done it for awhile myself, I can definitley say that it's not for everybody. Personally, I don't like it much anymore--could be I'm burning out on it I suppose. I've been in EMS for over 10 years. I've completely changed directions and I'm now working toward an engineering degree.

Before you disregard your teacher's advice, make sure you understand what he was saying. Don't be afraid to ask him what he meant by that.

You won't get rich being a emergency responder. The job is not worth the money. People who do it because they want to help other people don't last--they burn out right away. You'll be disappointed by how many people you help who won't help themselves. You'll see the same drug overdose patients over and over again.
The only ones I've seen last any time in the field are those who do it for the excitment (I confess that was my motive). You can't feed your family on excitment. Maybe that is what concerns your teacher.

I think it's important to find out what your teach meant by that. Does he think it's a bad career choice? Or just a bad choice for YOU?
And if it's bad choice for you, WHY?

Pro Member Chief Captain

thank you totallyfrozen...

i will take what you've said into serious consideration, and plan to determine what my teacher meant....always enjoy hearing what the experienced and retired EMS workers have to say, i learn more with every word. i respect everything about what YOU'VE said, and i believe it as my dad has said the same thing. he spent over 15 years as an EMS worker, hes told me many, many stories, and given me many years of advice. now im not an adrenaline junky, i dont usually do things for thrills(yeah ill go to a theme park and have a good time) but it just isnt something ive set out to find as a career.

and i realize that i will loose victims, that i cant save everyone, and i see what it does to paramedics through my father. hes told me many things that i can try to do to prevent prolonged......prolonged.....guilt i guess might be the word, the car accident victims, burn victims, shooting, stabbings, drug overdoses, many you can save, but i want to TRY AND SAVE THE ONES I CAN. i can see why most cant or dont stick with this profession i truly can but i want to know if i can. i will never know if i dont try.

i do know for one thing, that i do want to be a firefighter/emt...for how long i will be able to stand it is another thing. but i know that this is all ever ever wanted to be, and now that i can learn more about it, and from me very mild experiences ive grown to want to be great at it....seeing my father retire from a career fireman hurt me, but you cant do it forever.

but if EMS is not right for me, i would like to decide that for myself, its something that i need to experience, i need to know....

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

Hi, JarJar,

Do, please bear in mind Totallyfrozen's comments. I'm in the police, have been for 17 years and can absolutely confirm that you will experience and deal with things that other people will never have to in their life.

It can have a very negative effect. I've had PTSD myself, and it's not funny.

That being said, if it wasn't for the people who are willing to try, to put themselves out and to do the things no-one else does, the world would be a worse place than it is.

The best advice I could offer would be to stay aware of, and look after yourself. Don't put everyone else first all the time.

Best of luck to you, my friend, very well done and please accept a tip of the hat from a future emergency services colleague. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

noted.

im not going to say anything because im just repeating myself now, I am thankful for any tips, advice, info, anything. if you feel that it can help me, i will learn from it and use it as i must.

best wishes to all 😀

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

Hi JarJarbinks, i've just come across this thread and all i can do is commend your actions you acted in a highly professional way and i commend you for it! I'm a bit concerned about your dad's comments about heros and glory, i can assure you there's no glory in being in the Fire Service and as for heroes you're only called that when you died, the same as the military!Up untill then nobody wants to know!
Now i'm going to tell you a true story that happened to me just about 6 weeks ago (i've been a firefighter for nearly 23 years). We were called to an RTC (Road Trafic Collision) where 2 cars had hit head on(at about 50mph so a combined speed equivalent of a 100mph impact) and then ricocheted into another two, we turned up in the fire appliance and the Paramedic at the scene (on his own) had already assessed two fatalities, tended to a young woman in a wheelchair who had been thrown out of one of the vehicles(the wheelchair restraints had broken in the impact),assessed two non serious injuries and was in the process of putting a line(IV Drip) into a woman seriously trapped in one of the vehicles, we then took about 30 minutes to cut this woman out of her vehicle, the whole road was like a bomb had gone off!
Paul(the Paramedic) assessed this in the 5 mins it took us to get there! These guys are seriously good at what they do! And i can assure you i found no glory and did'nt feel any sense of heroics at this incident just a feeling of helplessness!But at the end of the day i go home and feel i may have helped someone in some way, sometimes it just turns out bad!
I hope this does'nt put you off, because although i was working alongside Paul and it was'nt a nice working environment, if that's your calling then go for it as whereas i can cut up cars in an instant and know what to do in a fire situation, to watch this man work was something else, he was on a level way above mine and on top of his game, out of 8 casualties (2 that were fatalities when he got there) he treated and saved 6!
Have a guess what he got for it! A flat battery in his response vehicle and had to wait an hour for a mechanic to come and sort it out 😳 , if anyone deserved a medal he did, he did'nt even get a well done from his bosses 😳 !
Sorry RM getting political here!

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

you know what i just remembered? well for a while waaaay before this thread i was thinking about what i wanted to do in a career in aviation so these were my top 3 choices

commercial/military/lifeline

now lifeline (thats what we call it dont know if you guys call it something else) is a type of air rescue you basically sit in a room all day and wait for a call to go out then you prep the helicopter for takeoff then you fly it to the scene pickup the victim (i think the heli can only hold 1 patient but im not 100% sure) and transport them to the hospital.

why would i choose this because 1 you can still save lives in a way 2. you are still in a aviation career

so thats a thought

and you will be seeing alot of helicopters jarjar for crashes.

btw our fire dept has a strobe that is so bright that sometimes the pilots can see it form the hospital its so bright. and i get to listen to them on the scanner

Pro Member Chief Captain

i understand and respect everything you say Welsh, but what my father said was from his thoughts and his experiences.

I admire everyone here who has said something, as of right now my calling is to be a paramedic. nothing anyone has said has changed it, for every reply i feel as though it just grows stronger inside me.

what everyone has said here is invaluable to me and will cherish it and put it to good use.

as ive said before im not going to say anything else as i would just be repeating myself

and ace, ours does too our dept. handles all of the air emergencies. when my dad was the safety coordinator at our local regional airport he organized a drill and was truly spectacular, we had an old 727 sunbird that we lit, and boy what an image. the fuselage was glowing red. anyway....

not sure that i have anything else to say....

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Bottom line JarJar... NO ONE can choose your path for you... it is yours alone sir.

Just be sure whatever path you choose... do it well. Give everything you can, expect nothing in return...