Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Seasonal Flying

Should I play my Flight sims seasonal or not?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 5

Pro Member Captain
Westernstyle Captain

Iv decided that i will play fs2004 summer-end of fall. FSX Winter to end of spring, how does that sound?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

It sounds like you are bored... you need a hobby

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

Seriously dude would it make any difference? Why not do both at once? 😉

Pro Member Captain
Westernstyle Captain

My FSX runs like crap, but Fs2004 doesnt, it is just a poll, and well, yeah 😀

Pro Member First Officer

I hear you I'm getting rid of FSX and have ordered a used copy of FS2004 to try out. From what I hear it works way better and if so, I'll not worry about FSX again. Maybe the next time I'm over the Virtual Pacific I'll drop my virtual FSX out of the window from 10,000 feet or so. Adios and good ridance illigitmate span of donky kong! 😂

Pro Member Captain
Westernstyle Captain

🙂 fs2004 is ausome, loaded with downloads too!

Pro Member First Officer

Yeah I quickly looked at the download section and there seems to be a lot of really good stuff there... Now if I could only figure out how to download. anyways FS2004 is supposed to be here any day now so I'll see how it wroks. Kinda dool to see that there's a scout in the downloads, here I was going to but an expensive one for FSX.... DOH.

Pro Member Captain
Westernstyle Captain

ok extract files to aircraft section by doing local disk c, then program files, microsoft games, fs2004, aircraft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

Yeah I quickly looked at the download section and there seems to be a lot of really good stuff there... Now if I could only figure out how to download.

Do you mean 'Download' or 'Install'

For downloading make sure you get your files from decent libraries such as www.flightsim.com - www.avsim.com or www.simviation.com

Make sure you read the file description BEFORE you download and the Readme file once you've extracted the contents of the .zip file.

If the Readme is botchy you can always refer to this illustrated guide:

PS: Many Readmes and even "How to install..." guides will tell you to extract the files directly into your fs9 directory... DO NOT DO THIS.
Always extract the contents of the .zip file into a Temporary folder outside your fs9 directory, preferably on your desktop. Then place the individual pieces manually where they belong.

Sooner or later you will agree with me on that.

Pro Member First Officer

I already do, the problem I have is limited PC skills, so the whole download concept is a mystery to me. I have no idea how to unzip files nor locate where they should go in the sim... It would be nice if it was automatic, you know you select a download you want and hey presto! It's a new item in your sim. Anyhow I know a lot of others share the same problem, it seems there's no easy way to download the add ons... Sigh Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If we want to make any headway, the first thing you have to understand is that "to download" and "to install" are two different things.

You DOWNLOAD a file in .zip (file format) from one of the file libraries onto your computer. After that you hold your cursor over the .zip file and right-click. Now, select 'Extract All...' from the drop down menu. Click 'Next' - 'Next' again and finally 'Finish'.

You have just extracted the contents of the .zip file.

Only now do you begin with the INSTALL process.

Pro Member First Officer

Ah Ha.... I see. I can get through that part but them you seem to need to alocate the individual files to flight simfiles such as aircraft files, cockpit, files, etc, etc. That is where I become lost as I can't even find my existing flight sime file folders, and an a tad shy about rummaging around in there in the first place as I don't want to cause problems in the existing files....

Pro Member Captain
Westernstyle Captain

Seems that i only know to put Guages and Effects in there files right before the aircraft directory. copy the files and paste, not the folder

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

Ah Ha.... I see. I can get through that part but them you seem to need to alocate the individual files to flight simfiles such as aircraft files, cockpit, files, etc, etc. That is where I become lost as I can't even find my existing flight sime file folders, and an a tad shy about rummaging around in there in the first place as I don't want to cause problems in the existing files....

Good, we're getting somewhere. The key again is terminology. 'Files' and 'Folders' are two distinctly different things.
When you install an a/c (aircraft) for example, after you have extracted the contents of the .zip file to a temporary folder, this folder will typically contain Folders AND Files. During a standard installation you will only have to move the folders into your 'Flightsim directory' and the appropriate sub folders. I can elaborate on that later with the aid of an easy example. Let's concentrate on the rummaging around 'in there'.
Keep in mind that you will never do any damage when you just look at things (that does NOT include hypnotizing fair maidens).
So let's do some looking for the time being:

On your keyboard, to the left or right of the Spacebar is your Window key. It has the Microsoft Windows symbol on it.
While holding down the Window key, hit E -- you've just opened 'Windows Explorer'. In the narrow left hand pane 'My Computer' should be highlighted. For our current purpose we'll only click on the +signs in front of the following words:
+Local Disk (C)
+Program Files
+ Microsoft Games

...if you still have FSX installed and you want to look at that, continue:

+Flight Simulator X
+SimObjects

...now click on the WORD 'Airplanes'. With this last click you have just opened your "FSX Aircraft Directory" to use proper terminology. As you can see, the larger, right hand pane now displays all the subfolders which are inside the "FSX Aircraft Directory". Each of those subfolders contains an a/c. Move your eyes back to the left hand pane and click on the WORD 'B737_800'. You have just opened the B737_800 'Aircraft Folder'.

We've just 'rummaged' without causing any harm - we've only looked at things, explored... with the aid of 'Windows Explorer'. To exit Explorer, click on 'File' top left corner in the Menu bar, next click on 'Close'.

Now try and repeat the whole procedure, you will see that the key combination of <Window key + E> as outlined above will always open Windows Explorer in the same way, that is with 'My Computer' highlighted. The path to your "FSX Aircraft Directory" always remains the same.

Let me know when you have fs9(FS2004) installed. The path to the "fs9 Aircraft Directory" is slightly shorter when compared to FSX. We'll install an easy a/c when you're ready.

Pro Member First Officer

Well thank you... I expect to get FS2004 "Century of Flight" some time this week, Is this the same sim you refer to as FS9? I'll let you know when I have it installed and am ready to add an aircraft.

Cheers