Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Making a new pc JUST FOR FSX need help

Pro Member First Officer
Matt (airbourne) First Officer

Hello eveyone , im making a new pc for FSX, and some other online games (CoD4 CoD5 CoD2)

below are the specs im going to get, do you think its good enouth to run fsx on high with about 20fps ?

Gamers PC. Nvidia 9800. IntelŽ CoreŽ 2 Duo. (Q6600 (2.4GHz, 6MB, 1066FSB) ,

Coolermaster Elite Case 650 Watt PSU

, Zalman 600W Heatpipe Cooled Power Supply Upgrade

, 1 X 9800GTX Plus 512MB ,

Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS Motherboard ,
360GB Sata 2 Hard Drive ,

1 X 2GB DDR 2 800 MHz , HD

or

Creative X-FI Xtreme Audio 7.1 Soundcard
Pc Option 800 Watt Dual Fan Power Supply
Arctic Freezer 7 Cpu Cooler - Fitted.
Gamers PC. Nvidia 9800. AMD AM2 Dual Core 64 X2. (6000 , 1 X Nvidia 9800GTX Plus 512MB , Coolermaster Elite Case 650 Watt PSU, Zalman 500W Heatpipe Cooled Power Supply Upgrade , Vista Basic & Disc , Asus M2-Crosshair Motherboard , 360GB Sata 2 Hard Drive , 2 X 2GB DDR 2 800 MHz , 19 " Widescreen Cibox 5M/S Monitor )

i was also thinking would the E8400 duo core processer be better for what i want it for ?

thanks guys!

Last edited by Matt (airbourne) on Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

If this is for FSX only, I'd consider getting a cheaper gfx card and putting that money into a faster processor and more ram. Dual core 2.4mhz will run it, as will 2 gigs of ram, but to get a constant 20 fps you'll have to dial the settings down pretty far.

With most games out there, the gfx card is what limits your framerate, but fsx is weird. FSX uses a lot of ram, and the processor is almost always the bottleneck. Maybe go for an nvidia 8800 GT with 512 megs or so, that should be able to run CoD at max settings and give ya room for more processor.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Last month I upgraded from E6600(2.4ghz) to E8400(3.0ghz) and am happy with the result at 20fps with this computer. You can save some money on the motherboard. I used an MSI that cost $47 to get the G31 chipset that runs E8400.
intel E8400 3ghz processor (core 2 duo)
intel G31 I/O chipset
2gb corsair 800mhz ram
nvida 8800gtx 768mb

It's much smoother at these settings.
GRAPHICS
Target frame rate 20
1680x1050x16
Filtering Bilinear
Anti-aliasing checked
Global texture resolution Medium
Advanced animations checked
AIRCRAFT
Hi-res 3-D cockpit checked
2-D panel transparency 0%
SCENERY
Level of detail radius Large (maxed)
Mesh complexity 100 (maxed)
Mesh resolution 1m (maxed)
Texture resolution 7m (maxed)
Water effects none
Land detail textures checked
Scenery complexity Extremely dense (maxed)
Autogen density Extremely dense (maxed)
Ground scenery shadows checked
Special effects detail Medium
WEATHER
Global settings Very Low
TRAFFIC
Airline traffic density 0%
General aviation traffic 100%
Airport vehicle density Minimum
Show aircraft labels not checked
Road vehicles 15%
Ships and ferries 0%
Leisure boats 0%

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

Factor in double of what you figure you'll need for speed and memory, then double it again... FSX is a serious memory hog. I built my PC for FSX as a primary function, and even though they made it with this in mind, it is too slow to handle all of FSX's demands smoothly.