Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Borked computer... help!

Pro Member First Officer
Vanya First Officer

This weekend I took my new desktop over to a friends place so we could have some fun with his 54" 1080p HDTV. He had a few other friends over, and one wanted to keep playing Fable 2, so someone set the TV to display both the Xbox stuff and my computer on the same screen (PIP, or something). My computer started up fine, I selected my desired OS, then connected some external speakers, powered by USB, and turned to say something to someone. When I turned back the computer was off, and I haven't been able to start it since.

When I press the power button, nothing happens. When I flip the PSU power switch, nothing I assumed would happen did, such as spinning fans, HDD running, ect. There is a blue light on the mobo, but nothing else. If I listen carefully, I can hear the PSU making a quiet buzzing sound. This is constant, and doesn't stop untill I unplug the PSU or turn it off. As near as I can tell, all the power and data cables are properly connected, and all my cards are properly seated. Niether of my 9800s display the green LEDs that indicate satisfactory power flow. I've also tried the computer on 5 seperate outlets in the house with no results.

I've spent about 3 hours on my friend's laptop looking for help, and what I've seen and heard seems to suggest either a fried PSU or a borked Mobo.

My comp specs are in my sig, and including those, I have 2 Emprex 20x DVD writers.

P.S. I built the computer myself about two months ago. I've never had any problems with it up till now.

PLEASE HELP ME! I spent $1500 bucks on this and borrowed that much from my dad. I can't ask for more....

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
Vanya First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

Get a P/S tester and see if that's the problem.
It should still be in guarentee.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tester+power+supply&tag=googhydr-20&index=electronics&hvadid=1097330261&ref=pd_sl_3v0uw2q1d6_b

Radar

Unfortunetley, I have only $12 to my name. However, I now know the PSU is fine. On an ATX mobo plug, crossing pin 13 (the power-on signal pin) with any ground starts the PSU. I also managed to get the PSU to power my old mobo. So I need a new mobo. My only issue now is that my dad is 8000 miles away and my mom has already refused to help...
=(

One question. Can a fried mobo bring the CPU down with it? Please say no.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You won't know for certain until you try it on another mobo.
Maybe a local shop can test it for a few bucks ($25-$50?).

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Vanya First Officer

I do have a spare board, but I want to handle the CPU as little as possible. I also think I should get some new thermal compound before I try to use it again.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes use thermal paste when you install it. You don't want to lose it because of that.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

The CPU won't just drop dead from you handling it-- The things that will ruin it are bent pins and static shocks. That means be careful where you set it down, how you hold it, and while you're installing and uninstalling it. touch your computer case and other grounded objects frequently while handling it. If you have an anti-static wristband or mat, even better. Inserting and removing the CPU from its socket should require no force at all; it should drop into place. Don't force it! That's how you'll break it.

As far as your problem, yeah I'd say either dead MoBo or dead PSU. Anything else and you'd get something coming up on the screen when it tried to boot.

My advice is to go by a local computer shop and have them test the power supply. Just because it will power on does not mean that it's working properly.

Pro Member First Officer
Vanya First Officer

My computer is now up and running!!! Yay! the new motherboard has taken to everything in its case like a duck to water.

Oh, and Obama is now the next President of The United States of America.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Glad to see that you have a new mobo...enjoy!

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Hongming Zheng (jianqing) First Officer

hi