Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Real Life 747-400 Aircrafts

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

Does anyone know if the 747-400 can fly up in the air, once its stable, with just two engines? do they ever alternately use one left and one right engines during long flights? can we do that in fs2004? Any helpful information please post.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi there,
Once you are up in the air, it is possible to fly with a combination of 2 engines, as long as it is balanced, so either engine 1 and 4 or 2 and 3. One two engines are shut down, N1 increases from roughly 62% at 30000ft to 91% and the attitude increases slightly to maintain altitude, but it is still possible. This is possible in FS 2004 by just shutting down an engines at desired altitude, but don't do it whilst taking off or climbing because there isn't enough power. As far as I know, they do not do this in the real world.

Fun Flying Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

are you saying they don't shut down two engines and use the two alternate engines during long flights in real world?

Pro Member First Officer
George Leach (CDR) First Officer

In the real world you never shut down any engine in a Milty engine AC unless you have to.
I might add that if you do and have to come back to land again you must dump enough fuel to bring the AC down to the proper landing weight for that ac.
If you shut down an engine in a single engine you better find a safe place to land . LOL

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

are you speaking of 747-400, 4 engine aircrafts?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

They would never shut down engines, unless absolutely necessary because there is no need to and it is probably quite dangerous if something does go wrong. They only need to dump fuel if they are too heavy, but this is not common because 747's do long haul flights anyway, so they will have used a lot of fuel.

Pro Member First Officer

In the real world you never shut down any engine in a Milty engine AC .
Using the word any would inclute the 737.

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

Thank you all for your helful information. I thought I read somewher that they do keep two engines, one on each sides, off just to give some rest for engine for longer flights. I guess the 747's can land in emergency cases with two engines, if the other two fails. I can imagine those landings would be rough.

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

whats a Milty engine AC ?

Pro Member First Officer

I guess I spelled the word wrong..
Multi engine is slang for an AC with multiple engines.

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

Okay, make sense now Smile thanks

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

I fly an excellent add-on aircraft called "747 Ready For Pushback".... it is the 747-200 model which means it is an aircraft certified for 3 flight crew.

In English this means that (like the 727) it required a Second Officer (of Flight Engineer) as part of the flight crew. One of the main pre-occupations of the Flight Engineer is manually 'juggling' the fuel flowing and distribution..... Anyway one day I didn't do this very well, and I starved the Wing Tip Fuel Tanks.... the result of this was that the outer engines shut down (Engines 1 and 4).... Anyway I flew from London Heathrow to Boston and only noticed 3/4 into the flight!

So this was very first hand experience that the 747 can indeed maintain cruise with only two engines. As someone said earlier, the N1 of the two active engines increased dramatically (the AutoThrottle Speed mode compensating)....

In real life, there'd be little benefit in cutting engines during cruise - you wouldn't save fuel as the active engines would be working harder, and you'd be placing considerable wear on the engines.