Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Frikin Downloads...

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

Well I don't know about the rest of you or how you do it, but I can not for the life of me do a single download. I try and try but it just doesn't work for me and nothing ends up in the sim. There has to be an easy way to do this but darned if I can. It would be neat to have a few other aircraft in the sim, but it is so frustrating trying to get one downloaded. There I
ve vented and I sorta feel better, ok, not really....

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You'll just have to read the tutorials we've given you on numerous occasions and follow them step by step.

FYI: We all do it the same way.

Through all your trials and tribulations you haven't once told us whether you're running XP or Vista, nor have you bothered to enlighten us what exactly you are struggling with.
Additionally, I think I've told you before to download your files from:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/fsx/

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks I'll take the advice... I think simviation has a dummies giude to downloading. I'm running XP, but outhwise my computer skills are pretty basic.

"Dammit it Jim. I'm a Doctor not a programmer."

Pro Member First Officer

Ok, So Despite the easy step by step not looking even remotely like my computer screens, I have (I think) managed to get the unzipped folder installed on FS9 or at least it appears to be as the aircraft does show as a file in aircraft, and when I open it all the required files seem to be there and the same as the default aircraft. The problen is the aircraft doesn't show on the drop down menu of FS9 when I try to open it in the game. I'm runnig XP and am wondering if there's a different method to install. It seems pretty straight forward and it looks like it should run. Any ideas as to why it won't?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Rule number one:

State the file library where you obtained the file from

Rule number two:

State the exact filename

The purpose of this vital information is others will be able to retract your steps and ultimately determine what went wrong.

It would also be helpful if you informed us which tutorial you followed and link us to it.

Pro Member Captain
Taylor (Flyboy92) Captain

See if my pictorial guide is of any use.

http://www.flightsimulationforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=9215

Flyboy92

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks Flyboy, I'll give your method a try. Unfortunately my computer skills are pretty basic, so I can't provide a lot of information for problem solving such as 'exact file names' so if this doesn't work, then I new rule for downloads will be "Don't Download." One of the reasons I eliminated FSX, was the inability to reinstall it on my computer. It seems there is another program in the background preventing the install and the only way to find it is to do a 'soft boot' etc. none of which I can do...Sigh. It would be so nice to find a few downloads that auto install. I had one of a scout that simply opene dand asked me if I wanted to install. It made all the required files and worked just fine. No biggie, I'd just like to add a P-51 or something to hop around the virtual patch.

Pro Member First Officer

Sigh... It seems the best downloads are no downloads. At least for me. I would like to thank those who responded to my call, but it seems I'm hopeless.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

Sigh... It seems the best downloads are no downloads. At least for me. I would like to thank those who responded to my call, but it seems I'm hopeless.

Rule number one:

State the file library where you obtained the file from

Rule number two:

State the exact filename

The purpose of this vital information is others will be able to retract your steps and ultimately determine what went wrong.

It would also be helpful if you informed us which tutorial you followed and link us to it.

Pro Member First Officer

See if I knew all that it would make it simpler....

I followed the tutorial from Simviation and tried to install the F80 for FS 2004 from their site. I've had others point me to tutorials but as none have the same screen as I do it mean a little guess work as to what the'yre asking. Drag and drop after unzipping the file seems pretty straight forward and in Fs's files the aircraft is there, it just doesn't show in the drop down menu for the game itself. With all of the problems, I can fly what the game has as default aircraft without any downloading required. I did manage to download one a while back and it simply had a pop up window asking if I wanted to install it. a few moments later it was there. No fuss and easy. Kinda like one would expect from windows. When it all comes down to it, this ol pilot has no computer skills to manually download and trouble shoot. Kinda when microsoft suggested I do a soft boot to determine which backgournd program might be preventing FSX from loading... all sounds wonderful, but I have no idea of how to go about it. And being unablt to load FSX, I decided I can live without it and sold it. All the help offered has been well intentioned and great, but can't make up for my lack of computer skills.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Is this the aircraft in question:

http://simviation.com/simviation/?type=item&ID=86&page=5

-- fifth from the top

Pro Member First Officer

Yup, and I followed their guide to downloads. Even though it seemed to be for windows 98 or something I unzipped the file and dragged and dropped it into the FS aircraft folder putting the guages, effects etc, in the appropraite files. It all looked swell, but when I started FS2004, it was not in the drop down menu for aircraft. Perhaps this wasn't the ideal download for the first time? I think simviation uses a P47, but there were some step I couldn't do as for example he shows two aircraft files in FS labled P47, and I did not.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

I followed the tutorial from Simviation and tried to install the F80 for FS 2004 from their site. I've had others point me to tutorials but as none have the same screen as I do it mean a little guess work as to what the'yre asking. Drag and drop after unzipping the file seems pretty straight forward and in Fs's files the aircraft is there, it just doesn't show in the drop down menu for the game itself.

I once wrote a tutorial for you step by step - had you used that instead of other confusing ones that claim you need WinZip and what not you'd be in business by now.
My tutorial has the same screen as yours as we're both running Windows XP.
For your information, I would strongly advice NOT to use the "drag and drop" method as all kinds of things can go wrong. Use "copy and paste" instead as I explained previously.

Now to your F-80 Shooting Star:

After extracting the contents of the AlphF80.zip file, you'll see the folder AlphF80 - open it. Now you see three folders, two text files and a .gif image.

I strongly suggest that you completely ignore the Readme.txt as it is outdated and will only confuse you.

Open the Aircraft folder.

You will see another folder: ALPHA F-80 Shooting Star...
THIS is the folder you have to copy and paste into your Aircraft directory in FS2004.
The aircraft will show up under "Alpha" in your selection menu because it's made by Alphasim.

Once you've established that your a/c shows up, we can proceed to the Effects and Gauges.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open the Effects folder: inside you'll find one effect. Copy and paste this effect (fx_eng_exhaust_gry.fx) into your Effects directory in FS2004.

Open the Gauges folder: inside you'll find one gauge. Copy and paste this gauge (ALPHA_F-80.cab) into your Gauges directory in FS2004.

That's all there is to it.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks, I will give this a shot when I get back home. It looks like I missed a step in opening a folder that was not in the other tutorials. I'll let you know how it goes. I assume if sucessful, most dowonloads work in the same manner?

Pro Member First Officer

Tailhook, I owe you a huge one Man! That worked like a charm, and it actually flies pretty nice. Just an unexpected 737 on the runway on final, not sure where he came from? I'm going to try it out with the combat stick as it's a lot more peppy than what I've been flyng with the yoke.

Drinks are on me at the Ol Stick and Rudder.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

That's great to hear, it's not rocket science after all, is it?

I assume if successful, most downloads work in the same manner?

That is correct. Occasionally you'll find an array of additional files within the .zip folder, mostly that's the case with complex modern fighter aircraft.

Also, sometimes the Aircraft folder contains additional material, pics, PDFs, Documents and, and, and... don't let that scare you. As long as the Aircraft folder contains the following six items the aircraft is complete and ready to fly:

*Model (folder)
Panel (folder)
Sound (folder)
*Texture (folder)

aircraft.cfg file
.air file

*Note: If there are more than one Texture or Model folder it simply means the aircraft has several liveries and models you can choose from in the Select Aircraft drop down Menu.

If you find something odd in one of your downloads and don't know what to do with it, you're better off asking instead of guessing.

One more thing: Before you install a new aircraft, open the aircraft.cfg file within the Aircraft folder by right-clicking on it and selecting Open With... Notepad.
Looking at your F-80 aircraft.cfg now you'll see this line:

ui_manufacturer=ALPHA

It is the eleventh line from the top.
EVERY aircraft.cfg file contains this line i.e. "ui_manufacturer=xxxx"

In our example it says ALPHA after the =
...this means you'll find the aircraft under ALPHA in the menu.

I am really glad you are beginning to enjoy FS9 Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer

Are there any you would stay away from? I'm not lookiong for a lot right now, would like to get a better lear jet 45 and maybe a spit or mustang otherwise I'm happy... been punching a few holes in the desert though, gotta get used to the speeds on the f80 it's cool kinda T-33ish

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

As mentioned previously, certain file libraries I certainly stay away from. My two favourite file libraries are definitely www.flightsim.com and www.avsim.com for the simple reason that I can look into the .zip folders before I download them. That gives me a pretty good idea about the overall quality of the file. I can see if everything is there (complete) and I can read the ReadMe files which is very handy to suss things out.

To your requests: Still the best freeware P-51 IMHO is Shigeru Tanaka's. Presently I can only find it at www.flightsim.com
If you haven't done so yet, open a free account, log in, go to the "Basic File Search". Now all you have to do is type in the File name stpma.zip and click on Start Search.

Installation is a breeze - only the Aircraft folder - no Effects or Gauges to worry about.

Regarding the Learjet I wouldn't have a clue as the only one I've ever flown is the default one in FS2002 but soon lost interest when I realized that the default 737 was much easier to land.

Now to the Spit. I've tried many but the only what I call all around good one was the hellenic_spitfire_collection.zip

Arrow http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004acrp&DLID=77405

The developers are a dedicated team who have given us some other great aircraft such as the F-16C Fighting Falcon Block 50 'Aegean Ghost' to name but one of my favourites.
Now my memory on that Spit is a bit rusty as I bought the RealAir Spitfire which IMO hasn't been surpassed yet, not even by the A2A (formerly WoP) product.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks again, I'll look into these.

As in real life, the 737 is easier to land than the Lear, which with it's fighter based wing has always been a tad skatey. I guess this is why there are no single pilot ceritifications on Lears. As a kid I had a specail attraction to the Lear Jet and to this day it remains a current and viable type.

Clear Skies...

Pro Member First Officer

I installed the AT-38B from Flight Sim. com and it seemed to go ok, but there are no guages in the 2D cockpit, and although there are guages in the Virtual cockpit, they do not move. I've tired adding the file to both the aircraft file, and the guages file and still no guages. What am I likely doing wrong?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

The reason why nothing moves in the VC is because it is only a picture, not a real, working VC.

For the 2D panel, place the contents of the gauges folder into your Gauges directory inside your FS9, there are 27 in total.

Despite those 27 gauges I can only see about three that are actually working, one of those is a radar gauge. Inside the .zip folder is a Word document - open it and look at the picture of the panel at the bottom of the page... this is NOT the panel included.

The file is a mess. It originated back in the FS2002 days, was "updated" for FS9 and apparently even for FSX - yeah rrright Evil or Very Mad

But you get duds like this, frankly I wouldn't waste my time on it.

Pro Member First Officer

I was starting to get the idea it isn't great, but when I tried to remove it , FS2004 wouldn't start as it came up with an aircraft will not initialize message and quit. This occured each time I tired to get into FS2004. How does one safely remove an unwanted aircraft short of uninstalling FS2004?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Try this:

Make sure the sim is NOT running.
Now navigate to your Aircraft directory in FS9 and find AT-38B. Right-click on it and select Delete from the drop-down menu.

Note: This is the beauty about manually installing add-ons - if you don't like them, you can just retrace your steps and delete the folders or files you installed as no changes to the registry have been made in the first place.

Now, with the Gauges and Effects you might or might not have installed, this can be a two-edged sword. Some gauges and effects are specific for only one aircraft. This means, if you decide to get rid of this a/c, you can also delete the gauges and effects of that particular a/c - if you remember which ones they were, that is Wink

On the other hand, many gauges and effects are shared by several a/c. Obviously if you delete any of those, some other a/c will be missing them as well.

Ergo: The simplest solution is to just leave the gauges and effects in their respective directories within the main FS9 directory. They will accumulate over time and many of them will probably never be used (because you got rid of the a/c) but they won't cause any harm be assured.

Pity you didn't check out the P-51 at flightsim Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer

I think I did and downloaded it. It was the one you recomended by the fellow with the Japenese name. I'm currently flying "Cute Nude" and seriously looking at buying a CH trottle to go along with my Combatstick.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Any luck with deleting the AT-38B?

Pro Member First Officer

That did the trick I left the guages and effects as you recomended and everything looks fine. Maybe I could give you a couple of aircraft I'm interested in a get your recomendations as to the best version to download. I'd like to get a few jets like the T-33 and maybe an F-104.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

That did the trick I left the guages and effects as you recomended and everything looks fine. Maybe I could give you a couple of aircraft I'm interested in a get your recomendations as to the best version to download. I'd like to get a few jets like the T-33 and maybe an F-104.

Well I can give you a suggestion for a really nice F-104, the Cloud 9 one. Its absoloutely brilliant and I also suggest investing into their Phantom as well which rocks too. Now if I can make a suggestion of my favourite fighter jet in FS9, the Alphasim F-106. OMG that thing makes me drool, such an awesome plane Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

The most recent T-33 appears to be Tim Conrad's:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=t-33a.zip&Author=&CatID=root

If you have a question regarding the installation, let me know. I find her a bit fickle on the stick so I applied an update which improves the handling in the air but take off and touch down is still a bit problematic.

If you decide to keep it, we can also retrofit it with a decent soundset and perhaps a couple of nicer textures.

If you want a freeware F-104 you could try the one at the bottom of this page:

http://www.simviation.com/fs2004military131.htm

It was a hoot in FS2002 but has minor issues in FS9. Besides that Cheeks is on the right track with the payware Cloud 9 or Alphasim. CaptainSim also made one but it seems to be popularity challenged.

Pro Member First Officer

One would think the T-33 would be very similar in flight characteristics as the F-80 as they are very close in design. I'm going to go through the P-51, and the F-80 to get used to the changes in performance, then consider going to the next level by adding some others. I want to avoid becoming download happy by adding a lot of aircraft types and not getting proficient on any. Reminds me of the old joke, "What's the definition of a consultant? A Guy who knows a thousand ways to make love to a woman, but doesn't know any girls..." I like the old 50's and 60's jets and like the idea of a phanthom, although I wold need to figure out how to get the munitions functional. Be neat to be able to shoot the guns on them FS9 although I guess I can look into a Combat Sim. I used to fool around with 'Aces over Europe' and that was kinda fun.

Pro Member Trainee
eders Trainee

hey guys i was wondering if u could help me,,,, i am using fs 2004 and have downloaded the eurofighter. its on my computer but how the hell do i get it on my game? please dont use technical terms im no computer expert lol thanks x

Pro Member First Officer

I think you should read back through this post, Tailhook provided me with really, really simple intructions on how to dowload to FS2004 and it worked beautifully.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

I want to avoid becoming download happy by adding a lot of aircraft types and not getting proficient on any.

Well, good luck with that Razz

I like the old 50's and 60's jets and like the idea of a phantom, although I wold need to figure out how to get the munitions functional. Be neat to be able to shoot the guns on them...

The bad news first: Generally MS FS is not the ideal platform for firing guns, dropping ordnance etc. hence you don't see any of it around. What the problem exactly is remains a mystery since some freeware developers have come up with all sorts of things: Aircraft with guns (firing), flares, pilots ejecting, paratroopers jumping out of the a/c and bomb and flak effects. It all can be done but I guess MS has decided since this is not a combat sim, it's inappropriate. How stupid.
Think about this - if MSFS were unable (for whatever reason) to accommodate military a/c, half or more of simmers would abandon the ship.
Now we have a situation where developers have given us many great mil a/c and to be authentic, one day they started adding functioning arrester hooks to Navy and Marine a/c - yes, functioning. They were useless at the beginning because there were no carriers.
Then the enthusiasts started making carriers with hard decks and wires and now you could actually shoot traps. Great. But what about launching off the carrier?
It took more time and effort by freeware dev's to put together all the gauges, sounds and modules to be able to catapult off the carrier. In short, even now NEW mil a/c are being developed for FS9 with arrester hooks but without the CAT switches required to launch.
This insanity has of course carried over to FSX.

Recently a brand spanking new F-18 (Suberbug) has been released for FS9 amongst much fanfare. Super realistic, one of the best VCs ever for FS9 they say and equipped for COPS. I saw the PDF manual, there's a tailhook and all the stuff you need in the cockpit to make a decent carrier landing except... no switch for launching off the deck.

I'm rambling but the MS mess occasionally affects me in an unsavory manner - like right now... I'm being pestered to shut down because of some updates and if I don't do it soon it'll just shut down and I'll lose what I've typed.

Be back with some good news in a minute or so.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Ok now the good news. I spent some time yesterday revisiting and testing the North American F-86 Sabrejet. I thought you might like this a/c and a beauty she is.

Originally made by Kirk Olsson especially for FS9 - so no outdated files - it was a hit upon its release in May 2006.

Arrow http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=SABREJET.ZIP&Author=&CatID=root

In June 2006 Claus Vendelboe Holmberg released a package using Olsson's Sabrejet with minor mods. and improvements.

Arrow http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=gmax_f-86_sabre_rdaf.zip&Author=&CatID=root

As mentioned, I compared both packages yesterday and concluded that the latter is indeed the better deal.

In Olsson's original are contained too many textures for my liking, I don't need that many. This bloats the .zip file despite the fact that Olsson's original doesn't contain original sounds and a very poor panel.
My eternal gripe of course, Olsson's package uses an installer which works all right... but I have no idea how it works when you wanna uninstall it.

[I want to make it absolutely clear that in no way I intend to denigrate Kirk's work!]

Claus Vendelboe Holmberg's package does away with the textures, in fact you only get one set, one model BUT a decent panel and a made to measure soundset.
To my great delight Wink there is no installer but we have to do it manually. It's very easy and should you decide to get rid of it at some stage, you won't have to worry about leftover gauges and effects BECAUSE this method is slightly different albeit even easier than what we've done previously. If you follow my mini tut, you'll be sailing. Should you be interested how on earth this actually works, I can elaborate another time - it's quite clever actually coming from Microsoft Devil

Allright, after having extracted the contents of gmax_f-86_sabre_rdaf.zip, keep opening the folders until you arrive at the "Flight Simulator 9" folder. Now you'll also see some lovely pics and three Text Documents. Takeoff and landing tips is very useful and I recommend you either memorize those tips and/or save the doc. (This, BTW is another reason I like this a/c, you don't need to spend half an hour to program an FMC but you do have to keep a few rules in mind when flying or you're toast.)
The Old Read_me_Panel contains a section regarding installation... it starts with this sentence: Ok! now let's get on with the instalation: -- please disregard this section completely as it is misleading and shouldn't even be in there.
Finally the _File_ID & Install_readme ...again, please ignore the "Install Instructions", follow mine instead Razz

Let's continue then:

Open the "Flight Simulator 9" folder
Open the "Aircraft" folder

Copy and paste the "fsfsconv" folder into your Flight Simulator 9 (main) directory
Copy and paste the "gmaxf86" folder into your Aircraft directory

That's all. The a/c will show up under North American in your menu in the sim.
Should you ever want to get rid of this a/c, you only need to delete the two folders "fsfsconv" and "gmaxf86" -- it's that easy.

We have to do two more steps which you won't have to undo in case you decide to get rid of the a/c because the following is frequently needed for other a/c.
Open your Modules directory (within FS9) and look for FSSound.dll. If it's there, cool - but I doubt you already have it.

Now place this module FSSound.dll into your Modules directory.

The final step: Open your fs9.cfg (I think you already know where to find that), scroll to the bottom and copy and paste the following two lines to it:

[OLDMODULES]
FSSound.dll=1

That's it. NOTE: If you don't add those to lines to your fs9.cfg, you will get a warning prompt each time you load FS9 warning you about some incompatible software or some such rubbish and you might be tempted to decide not to load it and already we have problems.

I was hesitant to burden you with more work / material just now but I couldn't resist this one... I figured this might be right up your (MIG) alley. Any questions, problems, let me know.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks Tailhook. On your recomendation, I will get this one for sure, the Sabre is a classic and should be a lot of fun to fly.

I was pleasantly suprised to find how nice the Alpha F-80 is. A simple 50's era post piston jet, it's a hoot, although there are panel and nav limitations as I found in trying to approach Key West NAS last night. All that seemed to work was the annoying ident code/s in my headset looking at the radio anel, there is no way to silence these, Their was no response from the nav dials and they remained with the off indicator flag showing. And for a naval air base, NAS Key West has no ILS or Tacan...

Pro Member First Officer

So before I try this, do I need to load the first F-86 link before the second? Or are they two different options? DOH

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Sorry, I should have been clearer, all you need is this one:

Arrow http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=gmax_f-86_sabre_rdaf.zip&Author=&CatID=root

I added two add-on texture sets yesterday, no problem and very nice.

Pro Member First Officer

Cool... Looking forward to trying it. I'm picking up a set of the Saitek pro throttles tomorrow to go with my CH Combat sitck. I think if that combination works, it will go nicely with the F-86 among others that use a stick and left hand throttle controls, ie: P-51, cub, etc. I can also move the throttles over to the other side where I think they'll have a better look and feel than the ones that are on the CH Yoke.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I hope that setup / combination will work flawlessly for you - I remember you having problems with some CH product(s) previously.

I am currently using the X52 Pro Flight System and have the Rudder Pedals at the bottom of the page as well.
Prior to that I didn't have a separate throttle control which in the long run is a real pain especially with helicopters.
I don't have a yoke or quadrant as I'm flying heavies not often these days and GA practically never. I might get a yoke somewhere down the line just for the odd airliner trip - I imagine a yoke would feel much nicer than a stick.

Pro Member First Officer

Yeah, the CH Throttle Quadrant was a huge pain! No support from CH and never did work right. It had to be set up all over each time you loaded the game. I've talked to Saitek's tech guys and they tell me the Pro Throttle will work independantly and with the CH stuff, so if it does, I'll have a pretty flexable set up being able to use them with either the yoke (enabling you to fly Captain, or Co Pilot), or on the left for most of the joystick types of aircraft set ups. Even the J-3 will be a little more flyable. Overall, I like the CH products, a little on the cheap side as far as the look goes, but they have all worked very well. Thus the dissapointment with the Quadrant and lack of help from CH. Saitek replied within a day to answer my questions, so that's a positive note. If I were to do it over, I would get the Saitek yoke with a second pro throttle. Saitek's look and feel are simply better. I do like the look of CH's combat stick as it is a copy of the F-15's stick. Most others have a sci fi look vs a real aircraft. This weekend wil be the test, and I'll load the Sabre as well. I'm guessing it will blow away the F-80. The P-51 you suggested is very nice, and the addition of the throttle,prop,mixture option will make it a lot more immersive. Might have to look at a combat download...if there is one.
BTW The C-170 while "cute" is pretty lacking. I tired a long flight over the Rockies and it was a very hands on airplane constantly developing a left wing down turn. Even the slightest rudder trim adjustment caused an abrupt over correction not typical of the type. This required constant correction with no autopilot. Also seems to lack any map or nav options. Darned if I could even find the fuel guage which seems to be missing? Oh well good thing I don't plan on doing a lot of V Flying on a C-170...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

BTW The C-170 while "cute" is pretty lacking.

That's why Alphasim gives those old models away for free (used to be payware). I had been wondering what the attraction was in the first place... my money was on the pretty pilot Very Happy

There are some quality small GA a/c around, including Cessnas but those are certainly not my forte. The smallest, slowest I do sometimes fly is the Bird Dog in my Vietnam scenery.

Pro Member First Officer

Yeah, I'm finding the smaller GA stuff kinda tired. I like the bigger stuff, but when you start seeing what's out there for downloading there are some old favorites out there. I like the vietnam era fast movers. A spad might be fun to as they were one of the cooler Vietnam types. I liked the Goose in FSX and kinda miss that, but I'd love to find some good sites for free downloads. Having a few issues with the new Saitek, throttles as they don't match the control inputs in FS2004. I 've got an email into their Tech guys to see if it can be fixed. As an example when you put on full throttle with the Saitek, it doesn't go to full power. If you use the CH Yoke throttle it comes up right away. I need the Saitek to correctly emulate the game or it will go back.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I'm trying to associate the Spad with Vietnam but seem to be missing some vital data here Shocked

Last edited by Tailhook on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer

"Spad" aka Douglas Skyraider. Call sign 'Sandy' One of the coolest Piston engined fighters and very effective in Vietnam. Was mainly use in SAR missions to locate and protect downed pilots until they could be extracted. Like the the movie 'Bat21'

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

I love the Skyraider, pwns the Mig-15's and MiG-21's in Battlefield Vietnam Laughing

Pro Member First Officer

Yeah it's a cool aircraft in any configuration. I like the four crew version. I'd download a pic here, but have no idea how to do that. Sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Oh, the Skyraider... you can get it here: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=skyraider&CatID=fs2004ac&Go=Search

I had the WWI Spad in mind (Biplane) -- now had you called it Fat Face or Crazy Water Buffalo I'd have known.

There are extra textures, tweaks and panels available if you want to get into it. There is a stunning Payware A-1 available from RAZBAM.

It's been a while since I watched BAT21 - can't remember the Skyraiders in it. I'll watch it again soon. Talking about a/c that were involved in Vietnam in one way or another, can I interest you in a Pig? Razz

@Cheeks -- what does pwns mean... I've misplaced my Y-Generation dictionary Shocked

Pro Member First Officer

Ha,ha ya got me what 's a pig? I might've been wrong about Bat21, that may have been a Cessna 337? I think "Sandy" was the call sign for the Spad in Flight of the intruder...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Another form of internet slang, your not keeping up are you Tailhook Laughing
Arrow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Cheeks wrote:

Another form of internet slang, your not keeping up are you Tailhook Laughing
Arrow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn

Thanks for that Cheeks Thumbs Up!

I just got myself a new dic, I'll be studying it 31 now Read Idea

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

Ha,ha ya got me what 's a pig? I might've been wrong about Bat21, that may have been a Cessna 337? I think "Sandy" was the call sign for the Spad in Flight of the intruder...

Happy to reciprocate Very Happy
The "Pig" better known as the "Aardvark" - the F-111 a very special a/c IMHO. Apparently it was initially intended for COPS but it turned out to be too heavy and there was no way the weight could be sufficiently reduced. I once read that the F-14 was ultimately based on the F-111's design but haven't found another source to confirm this. The U.S. Airforce began to use the F-111 in Vietnam but had teething problems mainly due to the terrain-following radar, which, if memory serves, was a new innovation then.

In the movie Bat21 if you're thinking of the a/c D.Glover flew, that was a Bird Dog (Cessna 0-1 I think).

"Flight of the Intruder" - thanks for pointing that out, wasn't aware it existed, sounds interesting though. From Wikipedia:

The film features U.S. Air Force A-1 "Sandy" Skyraiders and a HH-3 "Jolly Green Giant" rescue helicopter in various action sequences, with brief appearances of Navy aircraft including the A-7 Corsair, C-2 Greyhound and the F-4 Phantom II, as well as a North Vietnamese MiG-17.

Two early variants of the A-6 Intruder, the A-6A and A-6B, are portrayed in the film are portrayed by A-6E (without the TRAM targeting equipment) as all surviving A-6 variants at the time of filming had been updated to A-6E or KA-6D standards. The A-6A is a conventional bomber and the A-6B carried specialized electronics and weapons for SEAD missions (the Navy called this "Iron Hand", the Air Force called it "Wild Weasel".)

Pro Member First Officer

Hmm, I like the F-111 it was supersonic and was the first aircraft to use swing wings as I recall and was designed as a nuclear delivery a/c, I've never heard it nicknamed the 'pig' before. I'm not sure about Bat21 as it's been awhile since I saw it, but I'm sure there was a 337 Cessna mixmaster in it? Perhaps not but the 337 was a cool observation aircraft and performed very well in the role of a forward observation aircraft. I think it's airforce desgignator is an 02...

Pro Member First Officer

How about the T-37/A-37 Cessna Tweet. It was primarily an initial jet trainer, but it was also done as a ground support aircraft. It looks really neat in camo and full combat load.

BTW
The P-51 you recomended is really cool but I don't see any checklist or reference notes for it. I've been doing a lot of flight testing to find stall speeds and such so I can safely land the darned thing. Did I miss installing something? Or is it simply not a part of this download? Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

No, you're not missing anything on the P-51, no checklists etc. Just type p-51 mustang checklists and procedures into your Google search engine and you're bound to get more than you bargained for. An educated guess would be though that most a/c available for the sim can't be flown according to those procedures with very few exceptions.

The T-37 you mention could be one of those.

The T-37 is a Cessna training aircraft, but it is not your father's 150 or 172. It has low wing configuration, is powered with Continental J69-T25 twin jets each developing 1025 lbs. of thrust, and it has its quirks! First, there is a definite knack required to get the engines up and running. This is replicated as well as possible here. Full instructions come with the program, but to whet your appetite, just as in real life, you cannot start engine number two until engine number one is at 60% power. This is because you cannot obtain maximum electrical power until then. Remember, everything in this simulator is absolutely accurate. Each instrument has its own individual AC or DC power requirements. Electrical diagrams are provided, and these are accurately followed. For example, if the ADI looses its required AC power, it operates reliably for 9 minutes until the gyro becomes unusable. Some of the instruments are hybrid, using both AC and DC power, sufficient to say it is all properly replicated here. You will learn how to perform Ops Checks every fifteen minutes, which include cycling the fuel quantity gauge to determine fuel tank quantities. Using these features, it is possible to replicate in-flight failures and emergencies.

Another quirk of the Tweet, faithfully replicated here, is the long spool up time of the engines: around 14 seconds. A pilot who is a little fast on approach naturally wants to reduce speed. However, pulling the throttles back to slow or idle gives the pilot a very unpleasant surprise as the Tweet rapidly loses airspeed at low RPM's. You can easily crash this aircraft while waiting for the engines to spool back up. Realizing this, Cessna added thrust attenuators, which allow thrust to decrease significantly without having to reduce the power. These attenuators extend into the thrust stream whenever the speed brake is extended and the power reduced below 70% throttle angle on either engine. You will hear an audible rumble as the attenuators extend, just as in real life. Also at 70% RPM, with the gear retracted, a warning horn will sound. This warning sound also makes it easy to find the 70% setting used for landing. Remember, the sounds used in this package are real-life sounds. You will hear the rumble as the thrust attenuators extend, likewise when flaps or gear is extended. Do not expect to hear the usual flight simulator sounds, they are exaggerated for entertainment value and do not belong as part of an accurate simulation such as this.

Another neat feature, faithfully and accurately replicated here precisely to tech order, are the Tweet's spoilers. With the flaps extended the Tweet uses a spoiler system to create an artificial stall buffet. I doubt you will have ever flown a simulation as accurate as this rendition of the Tweet. To fully explain it all would take thousands of words; there's just so much to it. All of the drag devices are modeled correctly. The speed brake loses effectiveness at high-pressure altitudes and at lower speeds. Fuel flow rates vary realistically at different altitudes. Exhaust gas temperatures are accurate. It is all just as in real life.

If you want to read the full review:

http://ftp.flightsim.com/main/review/tweet.htm

Now where did the Missus hide my credit card Radar Smile

Pro Member First Officer

Soon as I get the Saitek Throttle issues settled, (They did respond in a reasonalbe time, just as I was about to start this reply and vent in fact....) I will start to download the Sabre you recomended and try a few Viet era fighters. Maybe do a virtual airshow circuit with some of the 'collection' good way to earn a little virtual cash for their up keep and restoration. Be cool to have a virtual museum of flight... Cool Hmm, makes me wonder, given a choice, what 10 aircraft would you have in your museum collection?

I think my Collection has to have at least;

1. Spitfire MKV1
2. P-51 D
3. F-86 Sabre
4. C-47 Dakota
5. A-26K Counter Invader
6.T-38 Talon
7.Cessna A-37 Dragonfly
8.P-80 Shooting Star/T-33 Silver Star
9.Doulas Skyraider
10. F4 Phanthom