Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

ILS... no less

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

Hey, I'm just getting into IFR and was curious about ILS approaches. Do I need the Terminal plates for each airport? Or can I just fudge the approach by lining up on the glide slope? Is there approach info already in FS2004? Thanks for any shared knowledge.

4 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

As you approach the airport flying with autopilot on flying a heading that traffic control directs you to approach the airport.
You need the frequency and heading of the runway you want to land on.
You can get both by using the map function and selecting the air port.
Set you NAV1 to the frequency and set the course to the runway heading. Flying IFR you will be directed to the altitude and a heading that will intercept the glide slope. When you see your needles moving you select approach the auto pilot will control the heading you need to adjust power for altitude. When you achieve a visual of the runway you can disengage the autopilot and land as normal.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks, I gather I need to file and plan IFR then? Or can I do it via VFR and simply catch the glide slope for a final?

Pro Member Trainee
FHeselton Trainee

While flying VFR, you can set the runway ILS information (Frequency and course) and engage the AP on your base leg. When you intercept the glide slope the aircraft will turn to the proper heading for final. ATC will not give ILS landing instruction and routing however. If you file IFR, ATC will give ILS instructions if the runway you are cleared to land on has ILS. If the runway does not, you will receive visual landing instructions. You may then request new runway and approach instructions if you wish to have an ILS approach.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I've been flying into vegas on the Lear and would like to see the approach on "Otto" makes things a lot less busy.