Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Wierd Problems ..

Pro Member Trainee
rdlockrey Trainee

Ive been using FSX for a while now and noticed a few small bugs.

1) While on a IFR flight , sometimes TX communications between me and control is lost. I can still hear but all options disappear in the ATC box.I can work-around by switching radios or channels then retuning ATC but sometimes it a pain when on approach.

2) Sometimes the view off the aircraft gets super-zoomed up close upon starting a new flight. When this happens I cant zoom out properly, it almost looks like the scale of the aircraft is wrong, way to large.

The other views are fine, it only effects the outside view, and often on the larger jumbo jets like the 747. I blamed my videocard (9800GTS) at first, but I never have any problems with it or any other applications.

Anyways anyone know of issues like these?

1 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

rdlockrey wrote:

2) Sometimes the view off the aircraft gets super-zoomed up close upon starting a new flight. When this happens I cant zoom out properly, it almost looks like the scale of the aircraft is wrong, way to large.

The other views are fine, it only effects the outside view, and often on the larger jumbo jets like the 747. I blamed my videocard (9800GTS) at first, but I never have any problems with it or any other applications.

Anyways anyone know of issues like these?

This #2 issue is an enigma for me at least. To share my musings on this, I need to digress... back to FS9.
In FS9 I noticed that Camil Valiquette's 787 would go out of shape if you zoomed in the exterior view. Zooming back out to where it was originally, the shape would not get back to normal but remain well, weird. The only way I was able to get the exterior view back to normal was by exiting the flight completely and Creating a new flight (with the same aircraft).
That weird look was very much like the one you describe, I know because I'm running FSX as well.

Robert Versluys released around the same time his 7E7 which I always understood to be the same a/c. I liked Camil Valiquette's 787 very much, there were stairs and lil tow trucks included I think but the distorted exterior view when zoomed in was too annoying so I stuck with Robert Versluys' model.
There was at least one other a/c by Camil Valiquette that displayed the same anomaly - I think it was his 380. It dawned on me that the whole thing was on purpose and built into the model somehow.
In FS9, some developers of Mil jets have used a method where on take off, just after rotation, the view automatically pans and zooms from the side to below the a/c and back -- it looks nice but my point is that this is a characteristic of certain a/c only.

Now to FSX: The super-zoomed up close view you're concerned with happens to my knowledge only once you start messing with the "S" key. The whole thing turns into a labyrinth and it's hard to find your way out of it.
Having said that, it also depends on the a/c itself i.e. whether it was made for FSX originally or whether it is an updated a/c from FS9. It also depends on how detailed the update is.
When you play around with the "W" key you can sometimes change the view to the typical FS9 view where all you see is the PFD at the bottom of the screen. This surely is an indication that even though the developers claim the a/c was specifically made for FSX, they didn't build from scratch but borrowed and used older FS9 components.

I suspect that the Aces team included these views to enhance our experience. Well, what can I say...

To retain what is left of my sanity, in FSX if I want the exterior view, I only use the "F11" key now. Holding down the Spacebar and moving the mouse will change the angles and the scroll wheel will even zoom in and out.

My conclusion: The issue is not your 9800GTS but the distorted Simulation world view of the Aces cult leaders. May there camels grow hooves and contract foot rot and their tents be devoured by locusts Devil