Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Video Settings for FSX and Nvidia 9800GTX ?

Pro Member Trainee
airwolfe Trainee

I need some pointers for using my Nvidia control panel and FSX settings together. I know some settings can be 'application controlled' and that I can manage this in the Nvidia control panel to some degree. But I have no idea what the best settings are. What do I need to set my bilinear-trilinear-Anisotropic settings to ?

I am lost when it comes to these settings.

Pro Member Trainee
Robert Vertalics Sr. (Robit) Trainee

OK Airwolfe: Go to the Nvidia Control Panel and click on "Manage 3D Settings"..... If you have 182.08 Driver (latest) you will choose Globle settings for FSX.....click apply..... your set! those settings should be the best. Did you ever think of using Nhancer.... Some flight simmers like it because of the many settings....and its FREE.... the web will give you all kinds of advise on that (nhancer.com).... Also depending on your CPU cooler you should be able to OC that to 2.7 or 2.8.... same goes for the 9800GTX OC with Riva Tuner..... in FSX .... uncheck Antialiasing-the control panel will handle that.... Trilinear.... no light bloom.... Lock frame rates @ 30.... DX-10 off.... again the web can give you some good settings (MFSX Tips, tweaks & Config).... It would appear that you have a OK system just tweak it a bit.... The old trial & error thing..... Go fly!!!! Very Happy

Pro Member Trainee
airwolfe Trainee

Thanks Robit ! This is exactly what I need to get started tweaking. I have my frames set to unlimited right now. Is it better to lock them ?

I will look into Nhancer over the weekend.

Pro Member Trainee

I'm pleased to see your on the way!!! Yes locked @ 30 FPS seems to be the sweet Spot for your type of system.... I have a 9800 GX2 OC'd to 650,1100,1625 running in Multi GPU mode on an ASUS M2N32-SLI with an AMD 6400+BE OC'd to 3487.5..... Also FSX LOVE'S Memory- go with 4gb I have Mushkin #996587 @ 5-4-4-12 436mhz..... Not that I promote other Sim-sites but knowledge is everything - see flight1.com support forums and NickN's settings that are in great detail(I'm on there also)..... Have a great time..... Very Happy

Pro Member Trainee
airwolfe Trainee

Yeah, I am using 8 gig at the moment. All BIOS settings are set to auto. I am pretty sure mine is 5-5-5-15 ... but I need to learn a bit more about those settings.

How do I overclock my 9800GT/GTX ? is that setting in the Nhance software ?

Pro Member Trainee

First of all download "GPU-Z .0.3.2...it's free..... run it & you'll see @ the bottom of the window what your card is running @.... Second tab shows temps,amps etc.... download Riva Tuner & be sure to review the HOW TO manual before you try anything! it's not that hard.... go for about 2-3% increases @ a time, than run 3dmark06 and check score-watch Frame rates.... You should get a 6-8% increase.... also increase fan speed to 60-65%....watch temps! Also with the ASUS mobo you can get the AIboost to OC your CPU from Windows-again you should get about 6-8% with Mild OC. REMEMBER each system is different these settings are suggestions-Be carefull - it will take time to "GET IT RIGHT" but the knowledge you'll gain will help in other computer applications.... Be sure to DEFRAG(I use ultimate Defrag-cause I can place FSX on outside of Disk) on a monthly-Bi monthly basis.... or after you install new third party software..... clean up HDD - get rid of old restore points.... stop anti-virus programs when running FSX(just make sure to restart after FSX play).... Back ground programs kill Perf.... use Task manager (toolbar-right click-PERF) to see what % system is @.... if above 35% - reboot & PLAY.... Ok alot to do!!! & my head HURTS!.... GO FOR IT!!!! Did you check out NickN on Flight1 yet.... some great stuff....

Pro Member Trainee
schaller Trainee

You must be using Vista right?

Thanks
Chris.

Pro Member Trainee
airwolfe Trainee

Yes, Vista 64 Ultimate.