Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Dangerous Airports....

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

....Or approaches. I thought i'd do a little selection of shots as the title suggests Very Happy . This first installment is to a place i did'nt know i had until recently Embarassed and it comes as part of the Fly Tampa St Maarten scenery, so we depart Juliana in a Twin Otter for the 10 minute flight to Saba.
Before start
Taxi out

Cleared to Runway09
Last checks
Away on our short flight

Our destination
That does look awful short

Steady
Touchdown and stand on the brakes

All that worry for nothing, there was loads of Runway left Rolling Eyes
Taxi in

Thanks for looking Smile , i'll do another one when i can think of one.

Pro Member Captain
Duncan (Razgr1z912) Captain

Great shots as usual welsh! I haven't dared to try that approach yet. Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Razgr1z912 wrote:

Great shots as usual welsh! I haven't dared to try that approach yet. Embarassed

Well you cant use an F/A-18 to land there Big Grin
Wonderful shots Welsh, I find approaching from the other way a bit more sceninc, you get those huge rocks out in the water Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks Raz and Cheeks Very Happy .
Next up, still using the "Twotter" we depart from Chambery to Courchevel in France.

We're gonna land WHERE Shocked Shocked Shocked ?????
OH MY GAWD!!!!!

Thanks for looking and here's the real thing Very Happy sound a bit iffy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Wow!! Shocked
Im speechless, great shots as usual!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks Cheeks Very Happy !
We move to Central America next with a little flight from Mexico to Toncontin in Honduras, never heard of it? Neither had i Very Happy .
Everybody secure?

Good, here we go then
Lined up and ready
Rotate
Climb out

My shots don't in anyway do this approach justice, so here's the real one Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Can you give me a link to that Toncontin scenery please, and if you ask me, your best shots yet Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thank you Cheeks Very Happy , the scenery is fly-tegucigalpa_v2.zip at Avsim.For some reason the Afcad does'nt work, so when you select a gate you're either in the terminal or the car park Confused , but that's no problem on approach Very Happy . But that's just a small problem compared to another i found in New Zealand, i added that to my addon scenery and now it's the ONLY airport in New Zealand, it somehow got rid of all other scenery there Shocked , needless to say i'll use it once and get rid of it!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Found another Toncontin landing, just take a look at this Shocked Shocked

Pro Member Captain
Westernstyle Captain

Perfect Clap

Pro Member Captain
Westernstyle Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

Found another Toncontin landing, just take a look at this Shocked Shocked

+1

Wow!!!!!!! Impresive.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks Westernstyle, hardly perfect but thank you anyway Embarassed !

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

I really enjoyed your work. Ten of ten.
Cheers!
Group Wave
Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Great scenery, great pics, great flying!! Clapping Clapping Clapping

There is an AFCAD available for the Toncontin scenery at Avsim - mhtgv2_afcad.zip - seems to work Cool

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Chief Captain

Great shots Welshy.

When i re-install FS9 i may try that lastest airport.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thank you gents Smile , and thanks for the afcad link Tailhook but i think i tried all of them at Avsim and none of them worked, i obviously did something wrong/put it in the wrong place (i don't know what though as i tried all the usual places Confused ). Undecided as to the next one, but hopefully it will be up soon (work getting in the way of FS again Rolling Eyes )!

Pro Member Captain
walesdragon Captain

That's your best work yet, Welsh. Keep it up Clapping

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thank you Smile !
Next we leave Kolkata in India for Paro in Bhutan in an aircraft that regularly flies into Paro, the Airbus A319 OF Royal Bhutan Airlines.

That's the boring stuff out of the way Very Happy , now for the approach

Here's the real one

Pro Member Chief Captain

Great shots Welshy. The Airport looks beautiful.

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

right looked to be very close...!!!! You must not drink much before flying....????

Great job...!!!

Pro Member Captain
Westernstyle Captain

Clap Nice

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks very much for all your kind comments gents Smile !

The next flight (or dodgy approach Rolling Eyes ) is from Heathrow to Hong Kong/Kai Tak (come on, you knew it had to be in here somewhere Very Happy ).
Sorry for so many shots.

If you got this far after waiting for that lot to load Rolling Eyes , thanks for looking Very Happy . I did'nt post a link this time as i'm sure you've all seen the Kai Tak approach many times.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Great pics Welsh...

Can't wait for more. Very Happy

Pro Member Captain
Westernstyle Captain

Sweet Clap

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks WS, that may be it unless someone can give me a few more ideas !

Pro Member First Officer
DIMITRIOSCOOL First Officer

Ok, i got a suggestion for you, take off from LGTS or LGAV( Elefterios venizelos international) and land in Iraklion, but you must do it with a 747-400, yes it has been done in real life.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Stunning and inspirational...
...nuff said Bow Down Bow Down

Pro Member First Officer
honuala First Officer

very very nice man.....best pics ive seen in a while Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

OK... that does it ... I want your computer, all of your add-ons, your piloting skills, and your wonderful ability to get all of those magnificent screen shots. I will settle for nothing less!

Here's a sample of what I can do..............

Cheers!

Later ... Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Thanks gents, great to see you back Art Group Wave , Dimitrioscool i've done a flight into Iraklion and may post the shots tomorrow although i took off from Rome and did it in a DC-10.
Not a dangerous approach but it did make me want to go there on holiday Very Happy !
P.s if anyone is thinking of downloading the Queenstown Airport scenery in New Zealand at Avsim, DON'T,when i installed it ,it became the only airport in New Zealand and although i've now got rid of it, somehow it took all of New Zealand with it Shocked! New Zealand does'nt even appear in the countries list anymore Shocked . I've got to dig deeper now Evil or Very Mad !

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Thanks gents, great to see you back Art Group Wave , Dimitrioscool i've done a flight into Iraklion and may post the shots tomorrow although i took off from Rome and did it in a DC-10.
Not a dangerous approach but it did make me want to go there on holiday Very Happy !
P.s if anyone is thinking of downloading the Queenstown Airport scenery in New Zealand at Avsim, DON'T,when i installed it ,it became the only airport in New Zealand and although i've now got rid of it, somehow it took all of New Zealand with it Shocked! New Zealand does'nt even appear in the countries list anymore Shocked . I've got to dig deeper now Evil or Very Mad !

A while ago I tried making myself a custom scenery pack (Basically just stocking up as many addons as i could find) for NZ, and I had done basically every airport and when I installed this NZQN scenery I got a scenery error with the mountains all over the place. I removed it and lost all of my NZ scenery. DONT GO NEAR IT Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, back to topic, I would give you some ideas but alot of them involve payware scenery, especially the Alaskan ones which dont have a freeware equivalent (Tongass Fjords etc). If i come up with anything I'll let you know Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

For my last dangerous approach we'll do what is without a doubt the most difficult approach in the World. There's no mountains to contend with, no sharp turns toward the runway just a lot of open space and a nice flat runway!

Does'nt sound too difficult does it? But this runway can move up and down and it's bad enough landing here in daylight but at night in bad weather it's a nightmare. In fact during Vietnam, monitors were strapped to the pilots and the stress levels were higher during landing than they were in actual combat Shocked !

So we climb into an F-14 in nice calm weather at dusk.......

....taxi onto the Cat.....

...and go from 0 to 160kts in about 2 seconds...

...and climb away...

...it's not too long before a Major Thunderstorm sets in Very Happy ...

...and we start to get buffeted about...

...we've got to land as we're too far from land to divert..

..can just make out the lights now..

..fighting a crosswind all the way...

...steady, don't over correct..

...too low over the fantail..

..but we catch a wire Very Happy...

....so raise the canopy and park it up

Thanks for looking everyone Very Happy !

Pro Member Chief Captain

nice landing Welshy xD i like Carrier landings.

More please! Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Aaahhh you made my day, I was so hoping you'd do another carrier set - long overdue, beautiful - thank you!

In fact during Vietnam, monitors were strapped to the pilots and the stress levels were higher during landing than they were in actual combat!

You know why that was, don't you: By the time they returned back to Mother the acid had worn off and suddenly they found themselves back in reality Shocked

I know the feeling... minus my presence in the cockpit of a mil jet though Help!
Razz

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

As always Welsh, a sterling job with the picture taking and storytelling!

I have missed seeing these.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I just have to make another post here

@ Bel -- Where ya been all this time... and where you've vanished to again? You can't blame a man for concocting up weird scenarios... Shocked

Some of you good folks might have become aware of the Nimitz frenzy in the FSX department; well not so much here at Flyaway as we tend to be a bit lay- back (or should that be lethargic?)

but beyond our shores there's been quite a stir about the above mentioned carrier -- and rightly so. Wanna know more about it I'm sure you know how to Google.

...however, (and now back to my point), for many of us FSX and the brave new world that's included in the boxed edition is still out of reach. I don't need to elaborate, you know what I mean - if you don't, get therapy.

The FSX Nimitz deserves all the accolades it is getting. In FSX the launching procedure (regarding Acceleration compatible carriers) is a bit more involved compared to FS9 but trapping / recovery is the same. This boils down to the fact that the REAL excitement of COPS (the recovery) is in no way inferior in FS9.

...and the eye candy? Look at the detail in pics 3 and 4 above and compare those with the FSX Nimitz shots you find everywhere.

Nuff said. Long live FS9

Pro Member First Officer

Great stuff there WF. Makes me want to install a tail hook (no, not him ... the mechanical kind) on my Scout, but it won't fly in FS9.

Thanks for the great pics.

Cheers!

Later ... Art

Pro Member Chief Captain

I just have to make another post here

@ Bel -- Where ya been all this time... and where you've vanished to again? You can't blame a man for concocting up weird scenarios...

Well Welsh, a strange thing occurred.... RL... after I resigned the CEO of USAVA I been fighting with work to keep my job and really had not had any time to fly at all. I ended up taking FS off my main drive and putting it in storage on my backup.

Still fighting work... any day now I could be fired for BS reasons... and I am just waiting at this point.

Good to know you are still at it though, I ended my virtual tales so they are all up, but other than that... not much else.

And effie... I do not think Tailhook will stay still long enough for you to install him haha.

Pro Member First Officer

Oh, I'll get him in there alright. I just hope his "hook" doesn't get worn down too fast!!!!

Cheers!

Later ... Art

Pro Member First Officer
CaptDennison First Officer

Outstanding shots to everyone--looks like you caught the number 1 wire

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

CaptDennison wrote:

Outstanding shots to everyone--looks like you caught the number 1 wire

Thanks CaptDennison, but they were all "ahem" me Very Happy !

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeah i think he missed that part...

oh btw Welsh thread hijack and update... the expected happened. I lost my job at vz.

And I do not regret it! I'm FREEEEE!

Pro Member Captain

belgeode wrote:

Yeah i think he missed that part...

oh btw Welsh thread hijack and update... the expected happened. I lost my job at vz.

And I do not regret it! I'm FREEEEE!

VZ?

Pro Member Chief Captain

yes VZ... the place where i worked... remember... Verizon.

Pro Member Captain

belgeode wrote:

yes VZ... the place where i worked... remember... Verizon.

Oh, I guess I missed that post. Razz

Pro Member First Officer
Hongming Zheng (jianqing) First Officer

THESE ARE SO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

You gotta have skill to do these!!!!!