The Last Straw

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

My friends,

I have just about reached the end of the chain when it comes to Flight Simulator. It seems as if I spend more time jockeying around with the graphics settings in an attempt to get a stable 30 FPS than I spend flying. I've come here to appeal for a final solution to my problems.

The computer that I'm running FS9 on is by no means a garbage system. Here are the specs:

Acer Aspire X3200
Windows Vista Home Premium X64
AMD Phenom 8400 2.10 Ghz Tri-Core Processor
nVidia GeForce 8200 Graphics Card
4.0 GB RAM
280 GB Hard Drive

I've attempted every tweak I could possibly come across online. I've exited all background programs. Virus scans, defrags, registry cleaners. I've tried it all.

If anyone has any idea as to what is causing these issues, please let me know. I'd love to continue playing flight simulator, but I can't put up with this!

Sincerely,

Jeff Brock

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your system should more than handle 2004.
It will stall, at graphic intensive scenery and some aircraft.
Try shutting off shadows and lowering water and clouds.

There should be some downloads that will reduce the hit that trees put on the Sim at www.avsim.com

Try this but back up the original folder first.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=3d_low_res_tree.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

Your system should more than handle 2004.
It will stall, at graphic intensive scenery and some aircraft.
Try shutting off shadows and lowering water and clouds.

There should be some downloads that will reduce the hit that trees put on the Sim at www.avsim.com

Try this but back up the original folder first.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=3d_low_res_tree.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Radar

RadarMan,

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have attempted turning the display sliders down, practically to zero, and still wasn't able to maintain 30 FPS, even in less graphically-intense areas. I'll be sure to try replacement trees, though!

Jeff

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I know i'm a bit late on this, sorry, but have you tried the graphic card settings?

Pro Member First Officer

Welshflyer wrote:

I know i'm a bit late on this, sorry, but have you tried the graphic card settings?

Welshflyer,

Yes, I have tried messing around with the graphics card settings a bit, but the tweaks I made actually made the system run worse. Is there a specific setting that you would recommend changing?

Jeff

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

I didn't know they made tri-core processors!

To be honest, your graphics card could be your problem. It seems a bit underpowered... have you gotten good results running any other games?

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Jeff, have a look through this and see if any of it helps !
http://www.flightsimguides.com/?p=24

Not sure if it will, but you never know!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...