FS2004 not responding

Bugsey Guest

I recently reformatted my hard drive and installed Windows XP Prof as my operating system.
In the process of re installing my programs I have encountered some problems, but I think it involves updating my drivers, however, I re installed my FS2004 which went ok, went to play, and I can only get the intro screen, the picture of the DC3, and nothing more.
Could you suggest what could be wrong?

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See if this works if not then we can get into more.
1-Download DirectX 9.0c.

2-Make sure that there is a folder "Flight Simulator Files" in the "My Documents".

Radar

Bugsey Guest

I already had Direcx 9.0c installed but I did dpownloaded it again just to make sure it was uptodate. and yes FS2004 is showing in My Documents

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Believe it or not:
MS's support site is down, the king is dead, DNS attack? Maybe.

Here is what I was looking for, it took a little longer. I could only remember the first two before. Try it all and good luck.
Let us know how you do.

http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_837195.aspx

Radar

Chris 14569 Guest

I tried all the methods Kalerz web page but with no success. I have noticed that the picture of the DC# exceeds the border, I don't know if this could be significant

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

OK, step by step.
You get to the DC-3 and then what, how do you close out the splash and what is the resolution of your desktop.

Radar

Chris14569 Guest

Ok, the resolution of my desktop is 800x600 pixels, colour is highest 32 bit
From the start, having inserted disk 4 into my CD drive,I click on the FS 2004 on my desktop,after a slight delay, the intro screen appears, showing the picture of the DC3 (which takes up most of the screen), the arrow cursor and the hourglass also appear,after 5 secs or so, the hourglass disapears and I am left with just the arrow showing on the picture, and that's it, nothing else happens.I have reinstalled it three times and nothing changes. Direct x is up to date.My local expert did suggest formatting my hard drive again and custom installing service pack 2. I also did a registry scan using Registry Mechanic and found a few problems there, but I cannot fix all of them until I have re-registered with them again.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The "problems" that you say are reported could be why it won't launch.
Uninstall SP2 if you have an older computer that can be a problem also.
Installing and uninstalling the sim over and over leaves small bits of it on the h/d and screws up any further successful installation.
Instead of using the #4 CD use the NO-CD-crack and see if that starts the sim
There are two versions (of the crack), one for the sim as you bought it and one for the sim with the patch.
Decide what you are going to do and use the correct one.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/41/fs-2004-no-cd-crack-file/

Radar

chris14569 Guest

Brilliant! Your suggestion using the no cd crack worked. I am eternally grateful for your help, I was beginning to despare, as I enjoy playing the game and downloading from the Internet. Thanks again 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

chris14569 wrote:

Brilliant! Your suggestion using the no cd crack worked. I am eternally grateful for your help, I was beginning to despare, as I enjoy playing the game and downloading from the Internet. Thanks again 😀

👍 Very glad that it worked, have a good time!

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Bugsey Trainee

Further to my problems I am encountering, FS 2004 is now responding thanks to you guys, but when the files are loadind I get a message "Scenery Error"-----Attempting to open a non existent directory. to which I press OK to continue, then I find that I am flying over scenery with no texture. Can you help me with this?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Did you ever have scenery.
Can you list your system specs, CPU, Ram, Video card etc.
Does it say which scenery.
Did you add any scenery, mesh.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Bugsey Trainee

Yes I did have scenery. I use Win XP Prof. vers. 2002, my computer is AMD Athlon (tm) XP 1800+1.5GHz with 512 MB Ram, My Video card is NVidia Ge Force3ti 200.
No, I did not add scenery

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Ok, You have a system very similar to mine except that you have a very weak video card.
If your system is loosing and resources to programs running in the background coupled with that card it'll take it out of the textures first.
To experiment, turn off your traffic, clouds, and water and then turn scenery and autogen below default.
Then reboot your computer and see how the sim looks.
I bet if you toggle views as soon as the sim launches the aircraft waiting to take off doesn't have any textures and it takes while for them to "kick in".
Try that and let us know how you do.
Also are you using the latest video drivers, discuss that with TTT he's the NVIDIA expert.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Im with Radar on this,your gfx card is a bit slow,but new drivers may help ➡

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Or have a look here for some "tweaked" drivers ➡

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Pro Member Trainee
Bugsey Trainee

I did what you suggested, and still, the scenery texture is non existant.I purchased a disc cleaning kit and cleaned all four discs, I have updated my NVidia Ge Force 3 driver, I have uninstalled and re installed the software, and when I select 'Fly',and the sceary starts to load, I still get the message"Scenery Error-Attempting to open a non-existant directory", I then press continue,everything appears ok except the scenery texture is not there. I don't know what to do next!. The strange thing is, that before I upgraded to Windows XP, everything ran perfectly!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Run this free test and see what they have to say about your computer.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/xpready/default.asp

You can also test your entire machine to see how it is.

Install this after you finish.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem.htm

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...