a good but cheap graphics card

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Hi everyone
I want to get a new graphics card soon but I am not the best at computers so I'm not to sure what get the ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb is an option.I'm looking for something no more than 250.Has enyone got any suggestions.

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have that card and I'm very happy with it. You should be able to get it for a little under $200 now. I've seen it for $180.

Good luck and enjoy!

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Just been looking at some of screenshots 😎 and it looks like a good card

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This graph from Tom's (very reliable source) can give you an idea of how good it is for the price.
It's an older graph matching cards of that time.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030930/radeon_9800-30.html

I went from a ATI 64mb to this and never looked back.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

wow!! that will beet my 7fps with my Radeon 9200 card 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes it will but don't think that you can max out the sim with that card, you'll get better FPS if you play with your settings.
I have many of mine above default but in many graphic intensive areas I still takes a big hit.
I do enjoy the scenery even if I get the stutters.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

I was looking at a webpage yesterday on the g/card and a lot of people were complaining about strange shimering in the distance.The solution was to max out all the settings and put fps to unlimited.The result was amazing graphics and around 70fps Surprised Surprised Surprised if this works i'm amazed

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I tried this and I get the stutters but as I said before the scenery is worth it.
They wouldn't make more powerful expensive cards if the old ones could be used the way we like.
I'm in the same boat you are with this card.
It's great but has it's limitations. Dont Know

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

I think I will go with this card.I have been looking at some of your screenshots and it looks great.Does AA effect the fps badly ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I set AA at 4 and AF at 16 in the ATI control panel.
The AA setting in the sim should be left UNchecked.
Good luck with it and let us know how you like it.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...