I was wondering, what is a VA?

Hi,
I was just wondering, what is a Virtual Airline. I dont get the whole concept. Sorry, I'm in a rush, (in school, we have a lunch break now, but I decided to go to the library.)Thanks and Happy Flying

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Interesting site, it should answer your questions.
Many of our members belong to different VA's.

http://www.flywestwind.com/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
George Leach (CDR) First Officer

A make believe airline.
-----------------------------------------------------------

virtual adj

1. being something in effect even if not in reality or not conforming to the generally accepted definition of the term

2. used to describe a particle whose existence is suggested to explain observed phenomena but is not proven or directly observable

3. simulated by a computer for reasons of economics, convenience, or performance

4. used to describe a technique of moving data between storage areas or media to create the impression that a computer has a storage capacity greater than it actually has

crosscheck9 Guest

Hi,
I'm guessing that a VA would be an "airline company" on the sim, that requires you to fly a certain number of hours per week? Well, if thats it, then I guess it would'nt hurt to try it out. Is it free for everyone to join, and what is one VA that is popular. Thanks and Happy flying

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Look through the "signatures" of some of our members and you'll find the VA that they belong to.

Radar

crosscheck9 Guest

What exactly are the signatures, and just one last question, lets say you fly for an hour and a half, do you log that as 1 hour, or 1.5 hours, or what?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See the aircraft in the bottom of my post, that's where you'll find someone else's signature.
I never joined a VA so I can't answer you hours question.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

GO HERE!!! lol, you dont ahve to, but is worth it, waaay worth ti

www.deltava.org

crosscheck9 Guest

In Delta Virtual Airlines, do you have to keep flying a certain number of hours, or can you fly at your leisure, because, I have exams now, and I dont know if I can stay on that long, (my mom wont like that too much) Thanks FEM, this website looks great

crosscheck9 Guest

Hey,
The Delta VA is asking me for an email add. besides hotmail or yahoo. What other addresses can I sign up to for free, besides aol

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

also, you do not need to fly, you simply must log on to the site once every 90 days. That's it! also, you must take a exam to get in, but i'll help you with that iffn' you need help. Answer 90% of the questions, and you'll be with me, in the 757-200 program! Fail, and you're stuck puttering around in a CRJ-200.

big_beia@hotmail.com

i'll help, so you can fly with the best, or else you'll clean lav's with the rest 😛

jk, CRJ-200 is fun once in a while!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

If you are looking for more VA, here's another one:
www.cpavirtual.org/Swiss That one is a Swiss VA, the one I belong to. It's reaaaly goood for my opinion. But if you don't like Swiss, you can join Air France, or Continental, or Emirates, or jetBlue, or even Delta. There are 25 VA's. If you join one of them, you will be able to file PIREPS with every VA you want inside CpaVirtual. Example: if you join Air France VA, you can also fly Delta VA for free. You don't need to sign up again
To enter this world of VA, you need to pass an Entrance Exam.
Take a look at it. There's more to tell, but now I have to go to school.

One more thing about the hours. You can file your first PIREPS in 6 months, I think, and then you can file your PIREP once every month. But if you want, you can file them whenever you want. That's what I do.

crosscheck9 Guest

Hi,
Look, I'm trying to pass a VA exam, but I keep failing!!!! I have some questions if you dont mind, if you have some free time on your hands, please answer these. Thanks

1. What is the OBS and what are it's functions?

2. What is a transponder, and what does it mean at setting 7700?

3. What decides your cruise altitude?

4. Is an NDB a non-directional beacon...if not, what is it?

5. What is a radial set at 300?

6. What is IAP?

7. What is ADF?

8. How many letters are there in ICAO codes for intersections?

9. How do you determine the proper ICAO Flight Level?

10. What is your main concern when you have an engine failiure?

11. What is an SID?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hello crosscheck9. I will make this fast, because I don't have enough time now.

1. OBS is used to maintain as a reference for navigation and avoids the GPS to pass to the next reference point.

2. A transponder is a wireless communications device usually attached to a satellite. A transponder receives and transmits radio signals at a prescribed frequency range. After receiving the signal a transponder will at the same time broadcast the signal at a different frequency. You use the transponder so that the control tower know your position, altitude, speed, etc.
The code 7700 is a code of emergency. It is only used for emergencies.

3. The pilot decides the Cruise Altitude. You need to calculate it.

4. NDB is a non-directional beacon. It is a low frequency low directional beacon.

5. I can't answer that question because I don't know the answer. I''m sorry.

6. IAP stands for Instrument Approach Procedure. The pilot must comply with the procedure once he reads back the clearance, since that read back constitutes acceptance and compliance.

7. ADF stands for Automatic Direction Finder. It is a navigation system. I can't really explain what it is.

8. I'm not sure about that, but I think is 5 letters.

9. I don't know. I'm sorry.

10. Most people (including pilots) say that the most concern during an engine failure is safety.

11. SID stands for Standard Instrument Departure. It is used at most international airports. You can use it after take-off, but to use it, you need a SID chart.

I hope this helps. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Crosscheck9, I'll see you next year. Tomorrow I'm travelling to Argentina.

Happy holidays!

crosscheck9 Guest

Thanks alot Agus. Have a happy holiday and I'll see you next year

crosscheck9 Guest

Hey,
I'm signing up now but its asking me what my Bio is. Does that mean Gender. Plz reply ASAP. Thanks and Happy Flying

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Leave it blank, just put in an X if you have to.
All you need is your name and a good e-mail where your ok can come to.

Radar

crosscheck9 Guest

Hey, I was having some troubles with this VA because it wasnt recognizing me whenver I went to download something. I emailed the man in charge, and I'm expecting a reply soon. Thanks for everything guys.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...