Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

New 22" monitor question!

Pro Member First Officer
William A. Jones (waj2306) First Officer

Just installed a new ACER 22" widescreen monitor. The exterior graphcs are fantastic and seem to be in resolution. However, my panel shots are "smooshed" or stretched! The panels seem too wide and the gauges are oblong!

I checked all the editables in the video card and the monitor itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See if it's any different in Window mode or full mode.
You may be running it at a "bad" resolution set in the Sims menu itself.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
William A. Jones (waj2306) First Officer

Checked the full mode, no change! However, I did some late night searching and found that the panel .bmp needs to be done in a larger format, i.e. 1080, 1200 ect. I found and purchased the Boeing Widescreen, Skydeck panels, and found this to be correct. MSFS FS9 does not support widescreen panels.

Here is the SkyDecks quote: " Did you ever wonder why the MSFS franchise didn't include widescreen panel support for its 2-D panels? FS9 is arguably the best Flight Simulation product to date, but for whatever reason Microsoft chose not to add widescreen monitor support for the use of any of its 2-D panels. Instead, the FS enthusiast ends up with "stretched-out" versions of default panels when viewing them on widescreen monitors. Being only slightly annoying, the stretched 2-D panels may have led more enthusiasts to try out and switch to the updated level of detail that's present within the virtual cockpit environment. However, the frequent need to zoom in and out just to read specific gauges has kept intact the need for quality 2-D panels. The ability to open an easy to read 2-D panel is still a favorite way to fly for many that use Flight Simulator... if only they came with widescreen support."

So, from now on I have to locate panels that support widescreen! Just my luck, as the proper .bmp does look fabulous on widescreen.

This gives me another chance to advance, as I will now need to learn to convert/build panels in widescreen format!

Thanks RM, you always seem to get me going on new projects!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Good find, now you can enjoy the new monitor.

Radar