Fly Away Simulation

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Geforce 6800ultra vs ATI X800 PE or PRO

gbod

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:34 pm 

I'm buliding a new computer and I want the ultimate graphics card to use with FS2004. Anyone here have experience with the Geforce 6800ultra or the ATI X800PE or X800PRO, with FS2004? I've seen the benchmarks on Toms Hardware, and the X800PE is the tops, but does anyone have real life opinions on these cards? Thanks
Fire_Emblem_Master
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:34 am 

YOU WANT THE X800XT PE!!!! You will not be disappointed. ATI destroys Nvidia. They always have, and probably always will. If you are intending on playing Doom 3, or Half Life 2, you will NEED the X800PE. Dont believe that crock of shit that Nvidia tweaks their card to fit Doom 3. I've seen it on a Nvidia PC, i've urinated in snow with better frame rates than Nvidia's card gives for doom 3.

Did i get carried away? Yes? Good!

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:16 am 

Dude, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Sure the X800XT-PE has a faster clock speed and slightly faster memory clock, but not everything is about benchmarks. If you DO ever get the chance to see a nVidia 6800ULTRA in action on a real computer, and manage to get over your ATI pig-headedness (if that is a real word) you might just see the difference between the two. Like the brilliant colour quality, smoothness and clarity that only a nVIDIA card can deliver. Not saying the ATI card is shit on the other hand either, because its not! They are fuckin awesome cards!! They just don't look as good in games as nVIDIA cards do and unless they slow down in the speed section and start working on the quality side of things, its gonna stay that way. And i WOULD know because my boss has an ASUS EAX800XT-PE (the fastest X800 on the market(next to the new X850 series)). And I run a 6800ULTRA EXTREME (even better than the 6800 you think you know so much about) in my machine. If you knew a bit more than just what magazines tell you i wouldn't be writing this, so how about you just leave the technical stuff to us hardware testers hey, now run along little one ..See, its people like you that jokes are made from, you dont have any computer knowledge of your own, at all.....................
Fire_Emblem_Master
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:51 pm 

well, it seems you got one thing correct so far, pig-headedness is a word, other than that, it seems that you are either wrong, or I just plain don't care...in your pathetic attempt to make me mad, you made me laugh, why? because in my opinion, your opinion sucks, and i have the right to my opinion. Not only that, You have shown me nothing to prove me otherwise. from what I've seen, ATI is, and always will be, better. Now, if you want, you could buy me one of these cards, and mail it to me, and I'll install it, and then I'll buy a second monitor, and use it on that one, and we'll see. But seeing is how you havent done that, you can do one thing for me.

Grow up, its not cool to swear, and you shouldn't. You ought to read the rules before you make a post.

And secondly, Mr. Hardware tester, I don't care what you have to say, i never have, and I never will. But you can rip on me if you want, eventually you'll harass me enough to where I'll simply report your repeated attempts to the authorities.
ranald
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:31 am 

you tell him/her fire emblem master Smile .Bloody hell he just said ATI was better than Nvidia thats just his apinion you dont have to go mad Evil or Very Mad.You both have good points though becouse the X800XT-PE will beet 6800ultra extreme (in fps) and the 6800ultra would beet the X800XT-PE with amazing graphics Surprised .
gbod

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:02 pm 

Uhh... Thanks for the replies?
Celt(from xbitlabs forum)

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:56 pm 

Well that was a nice pissing contest, but it doesn't answer the question properly. The question was about "Ultimate performance". Sure we can argue for a very long time about the relative merits of both the x800XTPE and the GF6800Ultra until we are blue in the face. Both are great cards and for a single card solution the ATI will probably be the slightly better card, especially in "eye-candy" mode.

However the ultimate solution would be to buy a PC with a SLI capable motherboard, and to use TWO GF6800Ultras linked in SLI mode. This effectively configures the graphics so that each GPU handles half the screen resolution . . . you can turn up all the sliders to the max, have the highest resolution your monitors can handle, and the cards will just laugh in your face . . . have a look at this system from the UK:

and a review:
Hexus.net review of SLI system
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:51 pm 

gbod wrote:
Uhh... Thanks for the replies?

This should settle it (I hope Rolling Eyes ).

Radar

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:23 pm 

True, but to reiterate, this is only the benchies for a single card solution . . . an SLi rig will hugely outperform a single card solution. Actually as a side note, Gigabyte are prepping an nVidia-based Graphics card which has two GPUs and the SLi stuff onboard, so you won't need an SLi specific motherboard to make use of it . . . ouch! Either way this should provide more than enough performance for FS9, even at the sort of extreme resolutions us simmers are known for Wink
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:43 pm 

I saw a video a while back from Alien-Ware with the double video card configuration, I don't know if it's for sale now or if it was a custom board.

Radar

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:20 pm 

The Alienware box was a custom job, using some of their own technologies. However real SLi systems are now on sale (see the link in my fist post to Scan in the UK). read the Hexus review as well. If you have to money for an "ultimate rig", then you really have to put an SLi system on the list for consideration. nVidia have a certification program for motherboards and graphics cards so you can easily "build your own" SLi system as well. ATi are rumoured to have something similar in the pipeline, but nVidia delivered first. With a bit of luck there should be a few systems at the IFC this summer running SLi.

Just as a side note, I believe X-Plane uses Open-GL for it's graphics engine, so for that Sim nVidia cards have a slight edge as they seem to be better at Open-GL than ATi.
tomthetank
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:17 pm 

Just remember folks,all benchmarking progs are not a true reflection of how such and such card will run..........it is only a guide

Nvidia got caught out a while back as they specifically programed cards
to fly all the benchmarks,which it did(who knows whether Ati did /do the same thing but didnt get caught?)

Im not knocking the benchmarking progs,they are a useful tool,and have used them in the past.

Just remember its a guide

FEM you say" from what I've seen, ATI is, and always will be, better"

Well I can remember that if you got an Ati card to run smoothly 1st time 2nd 3rd or even 4th time you were very,very lucky,and the ati drivers,well there was a test of nerves for you ,should I upgrade and go through all the instabillaties again Laughing

The unified driver,what a wonderful development...................pinched from Nvidia

Someone please bring back the 3DFX Tongue
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:59 pm 

Celt(from xbitlabs forum) wrote:
Well that was a nice pissing contest, but it doesn't answer the question properly. The question was about "Ultimate performance". Sure we can argue for a very long time about the relative merits of both the x800XTPE and the GF6800Ultra until we are blue in the face. Both are great cards and for a single card solution the ATI will probably be the slightly better card, especially in "eye-candy" mode.

However the ultimate solution would be to buy a PC with a SLI capable motherboard, and to use TWO GF6800Ultras linked in SLI mode. This effectively configures the graphics so that each GPU handles half the screen resolution . . . you can turn up all the sliders to the max, have the highest resolution your monitors can handle, and the cards will just laugh in your face . . . have a look at this system from the UK:

and a review:
Hexus.net review of SLI system

This just came today in one of my newslettters.
I thought you might like to see it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/118782/superfast_graphics.html

Radar

tomthetank
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:15 am 

Very Happy Good post Radar
Did you know that this dueling of gfx cards is not a new idea?
Was tried in the Think late 90s by 3DFX

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:44 pm 

Yup . . . and who bought 3dfx? Nvidia Wink It's taken 'em long enough to convert the technology from the olf Voodoo chips to the GeForce chips though . . . but I'm glad they did . . .
tomthetank
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:58 pm 

I still have a P3 with a 3DFX chip(its not seen the light of day for a year or two)
Absolutely no good for any of the new games,but work fs2000 with traffic add on and everything up to max ok, and 2002 with a tweaked driver

Mmmm I wonder

Might just fire it up one day,just to see the old logo

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:43 pm 

The best card for any game is the X850XT PE
nvidia is just a company that relys on cheating
They cheated with their ps 3.0 too
they used ( for farcry ) ps 1.0 vs ps 3.0 and told us it was ps 2.0 vs 3.0
ATI is trying to tell everyone that ps 2.0 and 3.0 look exactly the same
HigherAviation
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:04 pm 

This post should win an award Rolling Eyes
bunghole

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:20 am 

Censored By Radar Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad your all rong go to newegg and find the mouter Censored thing for cheap 60 bucks

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:05 am 

Censored u all i own two gaming cafes and each one of them has 48 computers. one gaming cafe has ati"s x800xt PE and the other 6800ultra. They both are same but the Ati"s x800xt PE is better .

Censored By Radar

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:19 pm 

Actually,
The Ati is a tad better for games like HL2.
nVidia is better for CoD and MohAA type games.
SoCalRick
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:46 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Censored u all i own two gaming cafes and each one of them has 48 computers. one gaming cafe has ati"s x800xt PE and the other 6800ultra. They both are same but the Ati"s x800xt PE is better .

Censored

Do you kiss mommy with that filthy mouth, infant?

The reason it is called "adult language" is because as an adult I have logic enough to know not to spew such vulgarities and make myself look too young to own a computer, much less "two gaming cafes," kiddo. Another point: Flyaway maintains logs with IP addys, so I suggest you take your retarded behavior elsewhere. Better yet, act like a more mature youth and avoid a life that will lead you to sharing a jail cell with Bubba, as I think it you would probably enjoy normal relations with women better than, we'll, on second thought maybe you wouldn't.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:16 am 

[quote="gbod"]I'm buliding a new computer and I want the ultimate graphics card to use with FS2004. Anyone here have experience with the Geforce 6800ultra or the ATI X800PE or X800PRO, with FS2004? I've seen the benchmarks on Toms Hardware, and the X800PE is the tops, but does anyone have real life opinions
Micah
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:00 pm 

this forum should now be locked.

Grow up children.
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:52 pm 

Micah wrote:
this forum should now be locked.

Grow up children.

I left a message for Flyaway to take care of it, clean it up. Thanks!

Radar

Racataplan

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:38 pm 

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:
well, it seems you got one thing correct so far, pig-headedness is a word, other than that, it seems that you are either wrong, or I just plain don't care...in your pathetic attempt to make me mad, you made me laugh, why? because in my opinion, your opinion sucks, and i have the right to my opinion. Not only that, You have shown me nothing to prove me otherwise. from what I've seen, ATI is, and always will be, better. Now, if you want, you could buy me one of these cards, and mail it to me, and I'll install it, and then I'll buy a second monitor, and use it on that one, and we'll see. But seeing is how you havent done that, you can do one thing for me.

Grow up, its not cool to swear, and you shouldn't. You ought to read the rules before you make a post.

And secondly, Mr. Hardware tester, I don't care what you have to say, i never have, and I never will. But you can rip on me if you want, eventually you'll harass me enough to where I'll simply report your repeated attempts to the authorities.

Eres un mierda y un ortera... Vaya foto.