Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Fatal Errors

Pro Member Trainee
Nelson Robison (photoshock) Trainee

It just so happens that I had to reinstall Windows XP Pro and reinstall FSX.
I am still getting the 'A Fatal Error occurred' message. What in the world have I done wrong? Am I going to have to go back to FS2004?
What is up with this program? Nothing in my computer or these downloads should be causing this problem, I have a 512 Meg Stand alone Video Card, Quad Core Processor and enough RAM to satisfy the most finicky programs out there and yet FSX Deluxe and Acceleration cannot seem to get past this Fatal Error message.
What's a poor boy to do? And I mean truly poor boy, the only reason I have such a good computer is because of a settlement that I received and now I cannot even run a supposedly excellent program on not exactly the top of the line but as near as possible to the top as I could afford.
Any suggestions, please private message me or post on the forum.
Thanks so much in advance for the ideas and suggestions.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Just saying a fatal error doesn't tell us anything.
Tell us when, the link it gives you and how much ram is enough.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Nelson Robison (photoshock) Trainee

RadarMan, I have a system that includes an AMD Quad Core Processor 9600
with 2.31 Ghz and 2.00 Gigs RAM. This should be enough to run any graphics
program and then some, I can load up to 40 different websites at once and still enter into the system and complete tasks that I assign the computer.
As for the stutters and stammers of the program, I have yet to figure out how and why this happens. I understand, but am not sure of this fact, that this type of stutter within the graphics does not happen with FS2004.
Many things about this program I believe were rushed and MS did not put the time into the product the way they should have.
Please advise me on the best way to go, to relieve this problem of the program saying FATAL ERROR and the stutter happening when I'm flying the planes.
Thanks again for all the help.

Pro Member First Officer
Hongming Zheng (jianqing) First Officer

i remember my computer shuttering frame rates, do a clean up the dust in your computer fans Cool , if your computer gets hot easily than maybe its because there is dust, if you don't know how to clean the dust up your computer, ask someone to help or go to a computer fixing place.

Hope this solves it Shocked Rolling Eyes

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

1-You reinstalled Windows.
2-Did you update Windows.
3-Did you get the latest (3.5) .NET.
4-Did FSX fly before you added anything.
5-What did you add to the Sim.

Stuttering means the machine and the video card can't handle the FPS.
Keep it locked at 20 and start tuning down some of the slides until it both looks good and flies without stuttering.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Longhaul4441 Trainee

I'm also having the same problem, but thought it had something to do with the add-ons I had installed. I have over 100 add-ons and 1000 a/c for my FSX. My system is as follows:

Home built computer:

Running Windows Vista Ultimate x64/Win 7 x64 Ultimate (Official Release) (dual boot)
6 GB Ram
NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
Biostar TA790GX 512 MB
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad-core
2-500GB WD SATA HDD
1-250GB WD SATA HDD
1-160GB Seagate SATA HDD
Both o/s's are completely up to date with all service packs available. Also .NET is up to date as of 1/7/2010

Am considering buying an ATI 5870 XXX from Tiger Direct in an effort to improve my graphics quality. My computer doesn't get hot, as my core temps never go above 25C, and I have enough cooling fans installed in my case to power a wind turbine! LOL I clean my fans on a regular basis, and use compressed air (from an air tank hooked to an air compressor not in the can) to blow out the heatsinks. I also have enough power for my system as I am using the Ultra X4 1600 watt PSU. I plan on upgrading and didn't want to have to buy a new psu when I did. I got it when it was on sale. It runs 1200 W right now, unless I have a tech install a dedicated plug for my computer's PSU. But any help would be appreciated. My sliders are not all the way up, except on 2 those are a/c graphics and traffic. the others are somewhere along the 70-80% range.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Longhaul, the traffic (AI) eat up resources as much as autogen.
Try turning that down to 40% and see if you can increase your other slides.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Longhaul4441 Trainee

Tried that and still get a Fatal Error. All this just started couple of days ago. I have had no problems with FSX until then. I'm wondering if maybe some windows updates may have caused a problem, or my AV program may have messed up a file within FSX. I'm gonna do a complete uninstall and try again. I may leave out the Global 2008 + 2010 and see if that helps any. I think I'm gonna try also to narrow it down. Install one addon and fly and keep doing that until I can see if it's an addons or a/c causing the problem, but this will be a time consuming task as I have over 100 add-ons and 1000 a/c. If I find something I'll post it. Maybe someone else has the same a/c installed I do. If nothing happens then I'll post that too. And if this doesn't work, then I'm gonna board a plane and blow up microsoft!!! j/k Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You should always do that, load one at a time. That way you can see which causes any type of problem.

Uninstall it, defrag and reinstall FSX, then Acceleration, defrag and fly for a while.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Longhaul4441 Trainee

I never had any problems before, with FSX. I usually install 2-3 at a time start FSX let the scenery rebuild and quit and then load 2-3 more. This is the first time I have had problems. I did get windows installed and running, will install FSX and acceleration tonight. Gonna skip SP1 since Acceleration has it in it, as I'm told. And go from there. I should be able to get at least 12-14 addons installed tomorrow. Will let you know which ones and how it goes

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Sp1 and SP2 are built in to Acceleration so don't load them separately.

You need them (SP2), it takes advantage of all Cores of your CPU...up until it's release FSX didn't use them.

A clean install of Windows is the only way I like to do it also.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Longhaul4441 Trainee

LOL, I didn't want to do it, but as I didn't want any new surprises, figured it was the best way. I remember reading somewhere that you had to install the C++ in a certain order with FSX to solve some error problems. But I can't remember the install order for them. Hopefully I won't need them.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The only updates I do for FSX are the 2 SP pacs, I've been doing that since they first came out.
Now with Acceleration I don't use them separately.
I never had to reinstall FSX unless I do Windows first.
No SDK's either.

Don't forget to get the latest .NET.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Longhaul4441 Trainee

Ok, here is where I am. I have FSX instralled with Acceleration. No addons or extra a/c installed. I got the Fatal Error 1.5 hrs into messing with FSX (free flight) with no destinations just sight seeing. So it's not the addons or extra a/c that is the problem. I noticed that Windows installed updates for the C++ 2005 and 2008. I removed them and am going back flying will report back in couple of hrs as to what happened.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It should work now, I don't know why you installed this to start with.

http://www.microsoft.com/exPress/download/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Longhaul4441 Trainee

Well here we are back with the same problem. Fatal Error only it took 1.5 hrs instead of 1 hr. Some inprovement I guess. I erased the fsx.cfg file and let fsx rebuild it. So we'll see what happens now. Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Trainee
Longhaul4441 Trainee

FSX installs MS Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable when it installs itself. I didn't install this. And then windows installed the update for it, which I removed the update. And still doesn't work. FSX needs this to run according to MS.