SearchSearch 

High End system struggling with FSX????

Pro Member Trainee
Skyline223 Trainee

Hey everyone. I have been on Fly Away for years but have never had to post in the forum. I have had it with my computer problems here and I would love to hear some input.

Here is my current setup

Dell XPS 600
Intel Extreme 3.20 Ghz
3.5 GB RAM
NVIDIA 9600 GT Graphics
Vizio LCD HD TV for display

I am running the graphics settings on Medium-High and only getting around 8.5 fps on average. I have tried going all the way down to minimal graphics and only getting up to 15 fps tops. Anyone have ideas????

10 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Skyline223 wrote:

Hey everyone. I have been on Fly Away for years but have never had to post in the forum. I have had it with my computer problems here and I would love to hear some input.

Here is my current setup

Dell XPS 600
Intel Extreme 3.20 Ghz
3.5 GB RAM
NVIDIA 9600 GT Graphics

I am running the graphics settings on Medium-High and only getting around 8.5 fps on average. I have tried going all the way down to minimal graphics and only getting up to 15 fps tops. Anyone have ideas????

The bad news is yours is not really a High End System. I bought the Dell XPS 630 about two months after it started shipping. With the aid of Google you'll find that my machine has slightly better components compared to yours.
However, my rig is a complete dud when it comes to running FSX.
I paid extra for the privilege of running Windows XP as I knew that Vista would slow down FSX. Never bothered to "upgrade" to Vista even though I had to pay for the disc. Next thing I did was get rid of McAfee and installed freeware apps instead. Anything else I could discern as being Dell bloatware I disabled or uninstalled. All this housecleaning did help a bit with (FSX)-Performance. Of course WinXP doesn't support DX10 - assuming you're running Vista, you might try and turn off the DX10 option.

What I found is always overlooked when you read review article about a computer system anywhere, they always tell you the games they tested the machine on... I have NEVER read in any article how the machine performed when running FSX. Why?

Well, putting bits and pieces together from other sources one comes to the conclusion that FSX is a completely different beast compared to any other games - including previous versions of MSFS.

I for one have long given up on the thought of upgrading my current system in any way. From the literally thousands of posts I have read in various forums upgrading a rig for FSX more often than not results in more heartache, more upgrading, more expenses and ultimately more frustration.

I am aware that this post doesn't sound encouraging; but I thought I'd share my musings anyway.

My current rig runs FS9 reasonably well (much better than FSX anyway) - but even with FS9 I experience slight stuttering despite the fact that I'm not running any unnecessary programs in the background.

Now here's a weird one we all might ponder on... in a recent article I read a reference indicating that my GFX-card couldn't quite handle my 24" monitor - apparently a 22" would be fine 😳 ... What to do?

Mind you, I've only read this once and have to do more digging to verify the validity of such a claim; but you never know. I just thought I'd mention it because you seem to be using a TV instead of a monitor.

I apologise for not being able to be of any help - having said that, I am as convinced as ever that FSX screwed up the whole FS scene.

Regards, Tailhook

Pro Member Trainee
Skyline223 Trainee

Haha, i suppose the system may have been high end when it was purchased somewhere back in the early 2000's. I guess i knew it was coming. I am running Windows XP at the moment. Anything I can do to possibly help it out with the big display?

Pro Member Trainee
Skyline223 Trainee

Well I have the problem solved now after much trial and error. I got my older graphics card (NVIDIA 6800) and installed along with the 9600 GT. Running two smaller monitors out of the 6800 and and the 9600 is only having to handle the LCD TV. Getting up to 50 fps on Ultra High graphics now! 🙂 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
Tim D (lvpilot1) Trainee

There is a great post by Mathis from Aerosoft on tweaking FSX for optimum performance. We've had many a discussion on other Forums about blazing fps and the fact remains once you get above 30, your eyes are not going to see the difference....
That said, the three biggest tweaks that will help any system are
1) change the "target fps" to full max
2) lower the water graphics to med.1 or even low.1
3) kill the cars, boats and ferries

You can also gain in other areas....like cloud draw distance, killing the shadow of the plane and scenery or playing with the percentage of other air traffic..... all systems are different, ya gotta just dive in and tweak the faders until you get what you want......THEN SAVE IT!~!!
Do a save for each different type of add-on aircraft and you will see the differences immediately.
I also run an XPS630, 4GB RAM,twin GTS240 cards,24" over 18" HD monitors. I can get 25+ on just about anything even in big cities with lots of traffic with the Flight1 Mustang which is the biggest frame rate eater I've seen.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Skyline223 wrote:

Here is my current setup

Dell XPS 600
Intel Extreme 3.20 Ghz
3.5 GB RAM
NVIDIA 9600 GT Graphics

The bad news is yours is not really a High End System. I bought the Dell XPS 630 about two months after it started shipping. With the aid of Google you'll find that my machine has slightly better components compared to yours.
However, my rig is a complete dud when it comes to running FSX.
I paid extra for the privilege of running Windows XP as I knew that Vista would slow down FSX. Never bothered to "upgrade" to Vista even though I had to pay for the disc. Next thing I did was get rid of McAfee and installed freeware apps instead. Anything else I could discern as being Dell bloatware I disabled or uninstalled. All this housecleaning did help a bit with (FSX)-Performance. Of course WinXP doesn't support DX10 - assuming you're running Vista, you might try and turn off the DX10 option.

What I found is always overlooked when you read review article about a computer system anywhere, they always tell you the games they tested the machine on... I have NEVER read in any article how the machine performed when running FSX. Why?

Well, putting bits and pieces together from other sources one comes to the conclusion that FSX is a completely different beast compared to any other games - including previous versions of MSFS.

I for one have long given up on the thought of upgrading my current system in any way. From the literally thousands of posts I have read in various forums upgrading a rig for FSX more often than not results in more heartache, more upgrading, more expenses and ultimately more frustration.

I am aware that this post doesn't sound encouraging; but I thought I'd share my musings anyway.

My current rig runs FS9 reasonably well (much better than FSX anyway) - but even with FS9 I experience slight stuttering despite the fact that I'm not running any unnecessary programs in the background.

Now here's a weird one we all might ponder on... in a recent article I read a reference indicating that my GFX-card couldn't quite handle my 24" monitor - apparently a 22" would be fine 😳 ... What to do?

Mind you, I've only read this once and have to do more digging to verify the validity of such a claim; but you never know. I just thought I'd mention it because you seem to be using a TV instead of a monitor.

I apologise for not being able to be of any help - having said that, I am as convinced as ever that FSX screwed up the whole FS scene.

Regards, Tailhook

Although what he said is partially correct, it is really about your selection of hardware:

I found that although you buy a high end computer, you get what you call "bottlenecks". There are certain componets that will hamper performance where other componets excels. For example, if you buy a high end computer based on its processing speed and power, you may fail to address the GPU requirements, or how powerful the RAM really is. The goal to a great computer is not how pwoerful it is, but by how many bottlenecks you are able to eliminate.

Case in point:

I have a self constructed EGVA system (EGVA 8800GTS Superclocked on a EGVA SLI motherboard) However, I had a substandard processor....an Intel 1.86 Core Duo Processor. Now I was able to overclock the processor to 3.09 GHz (at the expense of trashing the cpu) but I had only 3 gb of ram, which Vista took a gig from. So in essence, I was running a fairly decent system, but was garbage when it came to FSX.

Now, I switched the RAM up to 7gb (since we all learned that FSX is a hog in the RAM department), and the software performance (FSX) has improved, however when it came to sudden demand for information, the cpu fell short. So, I replaced the cpu with a more powerful one (an Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.17GHz, not yet overclocked), and FSX performance went through the roof. Now I have switched to Windows 7 64bit, I have yet to increase the sliders, nor overclocked the cpu, but FSX is running way better than before. Now the only problems I will have is not with FSX, but with the add-on aircrafts that other developers make for FSX.

EDIT: I stand corrected. All my sliders are maxed. I did not m ove the sliders for the clouds.....that has changed now.

Pro Member Trainee
longhaul444 Trainee

Yes you are correct. FSX is an EXTREMELY crabby piece of software unless it has almost 100% of your system resources. If you run the performance monitor in windows when you start FSX you can see the load it puts on your memory and cpu. I run a quad-core and HAD 12GB of memory until the ram started to fail. I was constiently gettinf fsx fatal errors, and I checked the memory load when fsx was running and it took almost every available MB I had. and my cpu was almost 80% used on all 4 cores. Cpu was an AMD Phenom II X4 620 which is being replaced by an i7 960 3.2 Ghz and ugrading the memory to DDR3 PC16000 2000mhz. So FSX should fly on this rig. Will keep you updated in 2 weeks when all the parts are in.

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

Well it's obviously not a high end system if it's struggling with X.

Pro Member Trainee
Andrew Graver (barkoman) Trainee

I was running an AMD Athlon FX-70 setup, 4 GB ram, GeForce 8800 GTX card and a 10,000 RPM Raptor HDD. I recently bought a new board and installed a Phenom II processor and have noticed an improvement. A lot more bldgs are now visible than before. I agree with GundamWZero on his comments. I am going to be purchasing a new Radeon 5870 GPU. I anticipate that it will be the final peice of the puzzle to end the stutters. In order to run FSX without issues, ALL areas of your PC must be upgraded. As for my RAM, I'm not going to run out and blow money on 8 or 12 GB's. I have noticed that when I play the game, it doesn't use anywhere near the RAM that I have now.

Pro Member Trainee
longhaul444 Trainee

barkoman wrote:

I was running an AMD Athlon FX-70 setup, 4 GB ram, GeForce 8800 GTX card and a 10,000 RPM Raptor HDD. I recently bought a new board and installed a Phenom II processor and have noticed an improvement. A lot more bldgs are now visible than before. I agree with GundamWZero on his comments. I am going to be purchasing a new Radeon 5870 GPU. I anticipate that it will be the final peice of the puzzle to end the stutters. In order to run FSX without issues, ALL areas of your PC must be upgraded. As for my RAM, I'm not going to run out and blow money on 8 or 12 GB's. I have noticed that when I play the game, it doesn't use anywhere near the RAM that I have now.

I also was running an AMD Phenom II x64 620, I switch to an i7 920 oc'd to 4.2 GHz from 2.6 (cpu temps never get above 45 C with liquid cooling), replaced my MB to ASUS, maxed out my memory 24 GB and pretty much rebuilt my rig with new parts. I'm now stable at 30fps with cars at default settings, boats/ferries down to 20% everything else (sliders are maxed on settings screen). I have custom settings on 3 of the 5 sliders, my fps is set to unlimited and right now at FL350 in the default B737-800 I have 39.4 fps. After my flight I'll post what my settings are. I laughed at another user on these forums who paid $1000 for the 975 as the $300 920 outdoes the 975 and doesn't break a sweat. I'm sure I can oc this to 5GHz as I have had it to 4.5 with no problems. I did back it off just a little for FSX as I didn't want any problems trying to figure out the CTD with FSX before.

Pro Member Trainee
Andrew Graver (barkoman) Trainee

Sounds like you have a mean machine. There are many different Phenom CPU's - I don't blame you for replacing yours. It was one of the slower one's that first came out (I beleive) compared to the newer ones that score much higher on benchmark tests.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Having said that, Intel are killing AMD at the moment but one has to consider the price - and that's what keeps luring me back to these processors. I previously mentioned that all area's of the PC must be upgraded to acheive a good result with the game. I read many posts where folks put in a huge GPU and have a crappy CPU and wonder why it doesn't run well. Your system will certainly be "bottleneck" free but do you really need all that RAM? I watch my RAM use while playing FSX and unless I'm mistaken, notice that it doesn't take advantage of the extra memory - kinda like the extra cores with respect to CPU's. The game seems to reward quality and not quantity. Not that I know much about all this stuff anyway. Just my humble opinion.