SearchSearch 

Opinions wanted... choosing new controls.

Pro Member Trainee
sam12345-2009 Trainee

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Im looking to get a new flight control systems for FSX.

At the moment i use the speedlink black widow but have looked at the Saitek pro flight yoke and the logitech g940 system.

Obviously the g940 comes with the whole kit and seems very user friendly when it comes to programming controls and where lack of space or no virtual cockpit is an issue, so im already swayed toward the logitech.

One thing i really like about the saitek range though is the throttle quadrant that has 6 levers (although i cant find anywhere that sells the 6 lever model). But most of all it is all the accessories you can add on. I can see myself in the future wanting the flight switch panel and the multi panel.

So firstly if i went for the G940 could the Saitek panels be added easily and work with the Logitech products?

I should add im pretty awful but for me its the enjoyment i get out of flying on FS, so a nice user friendly product would be nice too.

Has anyone got any first hand accounts of these two products? Which should i go for etc? Or would you recommend a different cheaper alternative?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to reply.

4 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

sam12345-2009 wrote:

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Im looking to get a new flight control systems for FSX.

At the moment i use the speedlink black widow but have looked at the Saitek pro flight yoke and the logitech g940 system.

Obviously the g940 comes with the whole kit and seems very user friendly when it comes to programming controls and where lack of space or no virtual cockpit is an issue, so im already swayed toward the logitech.

One thing i really like about the saitek range though is the throttle quadrant that has 6 levers (although i cant find anywhere that sells the 6 lever model). But most of all it is all the accessories you can add on. I can see myself in the future wanting the flight switch panel and the multi panel.

So firstly if i went for the G940 could the Saitek panels be added easily and work with the Logitech products?

I should add im pretty awful but for me its the enjoyment i get out of flying on FS, so a nice user friendly product would be nice too.

Has anyone got any first hand accounts of these two products? Which should i go for etc? Or would you recommend a different cheaper alternative?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to reply.

I would highly recommend just the Saitek Cyborg X, it's easy to use and you can put a whole lot of programming into it. And it's adjustable in many ways.
It's a five for me.

Pro Member Trainee
sam12345-2009 Trainee

truckernick wrote:

I would highly recommend just the Saitek Cyborg X, it's easy to use and you can put a whole lot of programming into it. And it's adjustable in many ways.
It's a five for me.

Well i made the mistake and purchased the G940...
Ive given time to adapt to the way it works but also after reading various reviews and trying lots of different things doesnt make a blind bit of difference.

After talking to logitech support i was advised to purchase a game it was "made to work with", which out of principal i just will not do!
So im in the process of going for a refund, purely because it does not do what it says in its advertising videos.

FSX is the newest of the most popular sims microsoft flight sim range and if it cant work with this i would hate to think what it is like with other sims.

So i would advise anyone else thinking about buying this not to.
The actually stick and FF is great but, the trims dont work, sometimes the buttons wont work or suddenly change their assignments, they conflict with the commands that they are meant to work with. The rudder pedals have a great feel to them but if you use the toe brakes they do not release so your only option is to set the parking brake and then release it (obviously far from ideal when moving as you have to stop first).
The lights on the throttle buttons cant be assigned with FS.

Basically a big waste of time!

So if anyone could point me to a good online store to buy the saitek yoke and throttle quadrant it would be great!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

sam12345-2009 wrote:

truckernick wrote:

It's a five for me.

Well i made the mistake and purchased the G940...
Ive given time to adapt to the way it works but also after reading various reviews and trying lots of different things doesnt make a blind bit of difference.

After talking to logitech support i was advised to purchase a game it was "made to work with", which out of principal i just will not do!
So im in the process of going for a refund, purely because it does not do what it says in its advertising videos.

FSX is the newest of the most popular sims microsoft flight sim range and if it cant work with this i would hate to think what it is like with other sims.

So i would advise anyone else thinking about buying this not to.
The actually stick and FF is great but, the trims dont work, sometimes the buttons wont work or suddenly change their assignments, they conflict with the commands that they are meant to work with. The rudder pedals have a great feel to them but if you use the toe brakes they do not release so your only option is to set the parking brake and then release it (obviously far from ideal when moving as you have to stop first).
The lights on the throttle buttons cant be assigned with FS.

Basically a big waste of time!

So if anyone could point me to a good online store to buy the saitek yoke and throttle quadrant it would be great!

I just bought mine at Amazon last week.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
nyguy72000 Trainee

I have theCH and the Saitek flight yokes. I must say the CH yoke wins hands down over the Saitek. The only problem I have w/ the CH is the puny throttle/prop/ mix handles on top of the yoke. I purchased the Saitek throttle quadrant to use w/ the CH yoke.