Changing lights

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

I have some aircraft whose exterior lights (nav, beacon, strobe etc) look too big and bright, what I call the fuzzy look.

I have looked in the aircraft.cfg file to see if I can change the light value or change the appropriate file it is using for the lights. I must admit however that I cannot see where the lights come from and hence I cannot change it. Is it a texture file of effects file etc etc??

Is there a way to either change the value to make it more realistic, or get it use another light source which I know looks better?

Rich

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You're on the right track, look in the aircraft.cfg under [electrical].

There is a payware alternative, just google for A2A Simulations Redux lights. It's possible that the Redux for FSX pops up first but there is a version for FS9. At the A2A site you'll also find a long list of parameters for many aircraft types so you don't have to figure it out yourself. Definitely worth a look.

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

I found a freeware package called Nick's Light Fix V2 by Nick Needham. This provides excellent instructions on what to do with the aircraft.cfg file. Apparently some aircraft add-ons use the regular Microsoft lights and just re-name them for their own aircraft, so it is simply a case of going to the [LIGHTS] section and changing the name of the fx file.

HOWEVER, for some unknown reason, the AI aircraft that come with the MyTraffic 2010 package, do not have any [LIGHTS] section in the aircraft.cfg file. This means I cannot change it, plus I cannot add Nick's jet exhaust to any AI aircraft.

This is crazy, as my last traffic package had a normal [LIGHTS] section, so where the hell are these new aircraft getting their lights from???? I contacted Aerosoft and they simply said "look at the aircraft.cfg file" - big help guys!!!!!!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...