SearchSearch 

airbreak or land break

Pro Member First Officer
mako (makonnenl) First Officer

Embarassed 6 month ago, I went overseas for a visit. I had a window seat and at touch down, I noticed that the engine opened up and then I heared a laud noise from the engine. Is this what you call it air break or not or ❓ ❓

13 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi there

What you saw was not the air brake. The air brakes are the spoilers that lift from the top of the wing to slow the plane. What you saw was the reverse thrust being used also the slow the aircraft down. It is the opposite of the thrust used to take off.

Pro Member Trainee
Scott Archbold (Scotteiboi) Trainee

He is right they were thrust reversers, if you look closely you can see holes which are forward facing so when the reverse thrust is engaged it forces the air forward and out.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Take any jet aircraft on the ground,switch to an external view and press F2.You should now see the reversers in operation
When landing, you will not be able to use them untill your nose wheel has touched down

Hope it helps

Pro Member First Officer
mako (makonnenl) First Officer

Thank you all
I helped me to understand the differences between the air brake and the spoilers. Bow Down

Pro Member Chief Captain

makonnenl wrote:

Thank you all
I helped me to understand the differences between the air brake and the spoilers. Bow Down

I think they are the same thing

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

To Tomthetank You CAN use thrust reverse before nosewheel touchdown, I do it regularly. P.S. It is not advisable to do so in a strong crosswind though, good way to lose directional control.

Pro Member Trainee
Scott Archbold (Scotteiboi) Trainee

Hey leadfoot how do you use reverse thrust before landing???

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hi,
By default you can't use reverse thrust before landing, i.e. in mid air, but you can when a wheel touches the ground, by holding F2.

Pro Member First Officer
George Leach (CDR) First Officer

I was flying my F14 and hit the tail hool and I stoped in 20 ft.
The problem I was at 20000 ft. in the air.
O BOY.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Sensors are positioned on the MLG for real.

😳 I intended to say difference between the thrust reversers and spoiler.
I need to learn to read twice before posting something.
Sorry

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

spoilers slows the plane or helps decent faster?

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

I hit reverse thrust as soon as the mains touchdown on the rnwy, I've seen many a 737 with thrust reversers engaged whilst the nose wheel had yet to settle on the rnwy. I rode a Fokker F-100 from kcmh to dfw that did exactly the same thing. No sooner than he hit the mains on the rnwy at Dallas he was on the reversers hard--- I doubt we used more than 3000' of rnwy before we were on the taxiway. I think the boys at ATC told him to land short of a certain taxiway. It was neat though.