Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Memory/Ram issue, help appreciated.

Pro Member Captain
Nick (truckernick) Captain

Ok, i run on vista 32 bit, and i have 6gigs of Corsair, and in the BIOS and OS, it does indeed read and see that there is 6 gigs.
But i notice when i run games like fsx, barely any of that RAM is used to run the game smooth.
Modules are
6 Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400 at 800MHz, but only says 400MHz.
Overall there is 6144MBytes
Anyone got a clue why?
Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

There are plenty of answers to your question if you type how much ram does vista 32 bit support into your Google engine. Alternatively you can ask Flyaway or Radarman to give you a (the) link(s) 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

A 32bit system only recognizes about 2.99 (3) gigs to 3 1/2 gigs of ram if you have 4 gigs or more.
You should have it in even numbers like you but only a 64bit system will recognize more than that.
The Bios "recognizes" that's it's in the machine but the OS doesn't utilise it.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

RadarMan wrote:

A 32bit system only recognizes about 2.99 (3) gigs to 3 1/2 gigs of ram if you have 4 gigs or more.
You should have it in even numbers like you but only a 64bit system will recognize more than that.
The Bios "recognizes" that's it's in the machine but the OS doesn't utilise it.

Radar

What if the OS itself recognizes all the memory? because it does, i can look in my system specs and it says 6gigs.
And also i once came across this thing, i forgot what it's called, but i makes your OS use more memory than it normally would. Ever heard of it?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain

RadarMan wrote:

No never heard of it but 32bit will not recognize 6gigs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/64-bit.aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/048ed81d-0e9a-471c-99fa-ca6c26c956d1

Radar

Well actually i tried something last night.
What i did, it's still experimental but my games seem to run a whole lot better.
I figure you could tell vista how to boot on start-up.

So what i did was in the command promt or windows vista core, i typed in and enabled 2 things.
(BCDedit/set PAE Forceenable) (PAE = Physical address extension)
(BCDedit/set nx alwayson) this disables DEP, which i think helped me.

This tells vista to utilize and see all your ram you have installed. And then i turned of (DEP = Data Execution Prevention) which having PAE on and DEP off, vista for me seems to run faster along with my games.

I really don't know if his works better with a 32bit or 64bit, but to tell ya thr truth my FSX and GTA4 and such run a whole hell of a lot better.
All keep posting as i experiment, hopefully i don't kill my pc. lol

Pro Member Trainee
piper_wichmon Trainee

This may have been said already, I just skimmed.

A 32-bit system will recognize all 6GB of RAM, but will only utilize up to 3.5GB of it. It also takes into account the memory on the video card.

-Piper-

Pro Member Captain

piper_wichmon wrote:

This may have been said already, I just skimmed.

A 32-bit system will recognize all 6GB of RAM, but will only utilize up to 3.5GB of it. It also takes into account the memory on the video card.

-Piper-

Well like i said in my last post, i have indeed got my OS to recognize up to about 4.5gigs surprisingly, in my experimentation i have been doing.
Forcing vista to use more.

Pro Member Trainee
piper_wichmon Trainee

Is there a link to show how you did it? I dual boot with winxp 32bit and win7 64bit. I wonder if it works for xp as well.

Pro Member Captain

piper_wichmon wrote:

Is there a link to show how you did it? I dual boot with winxp 32bit and win7 64bit. I wonder if it works for xp as well.

No link, unless there is one i don't know about.
Everything i have done is completely on my own, I'm still experimenting.
But so far it actually seems to be working, there's still some other commands i would like to try.

Pro Member Trainee
piper_wichmon Trainee

Ahh... I was at work reading it on my phone, so I missed a couple things in your post 😛 I will try it when I get home, I'm at school right now... blahh...

-Piper-

Pro Member Captain

piper_wichmon wrote:

Ahh... I was at work reading it on my phone, so I missed a couple things in your post 😛 I will try it when I get home, I'm at school right now... blahh...

-Piper-

Just be seriously careful whatever you do. Not doing so can seriously screw up your PC, what with editing vista's core and such

Pro Member Trainee
piper_wichmon Trainee

Yeah I know, been down that road before 😕