SearchSearch 

Flight Sim Manager Info Please

Pro Member Trainee
BayouTalker Trainee

Does anyone have any experience with the Flight Sim Manager that is available for download? I installed it this morning and let it "update" my ATC Callsigns. After this, FS9 will start and allow me to choose any aircraft, location, etc. but when I click on "Fly" the screen goes black and the message to send an error report will pop up and the sim will close.

This is the only change I had made in quite a while and everything was working perfectly until I did it. I have had all of the settings way up to max with not problems. I also have lots of aircraft installed, both flyable and AI. I have always been able to set the "Air Traffic Density" at 100% and no problems. Now at 70% with some of the other settings turned down a notch, it sometimes will work for a flight and then quit.

I am not sure what this program actually changes, but it sure didn't do me any favors. I have tried to uninstall and re-install the sim with no success. Of course, many of the original files are left after the uninstall.
It looks like the only choice I have will be to do a FULL uninstall and re-install.

I am sure not looking forward to re-installing all of those aircraft again. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

5 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If your going to do a full install then you would have to save the aircraft, gauge and effects folders somewhere else and replace the new with the old.
You still may be putting something back that you don't want or will be missing something that an exe aircraft installed.
Your dammed if you do and if you don't.
I would try it and the worse that can happen is that you would have to do a second reinstall and also reinstall all of your aircraft...again.
Good luck with whichever you choose and let us know how you did.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
BayouTalker Trainee

I did put a post on the Flight Sim Manager support forum too. It appears that it did make changes to many of the aircraft.cfg files I had installed, However, I cannot see anything that should make this occur. I hope they can give me some ideas. It would take weeks to re-install some of the things I have now.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm sure that others have run into similar problems and I hope for your sake that they have a cure for it.
I know how many aircraft I have in my folder and how I'd feel losing them.
I did once when my h/d died and starting over again was a long process but in a way it was also fun.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
BayouTalker Trainee

I found it! I finally tracked down the correct post on their site. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one with the problem.

Here is the deal:

When you use this program to update aircraft, it shows some AI aircraft as having a problem since they do not have sound and panel folders along with some other items. Some of the flight models also do not have .air files. It appears that the program creates one with 0 bytes. When the sim tries to load these, it hangs. So make sure what aircraft you want it to fix before you hit the button.

To correct the problem, search for all .air files with a length of 0 bytes and delete them. Problem solved! Since there is nothing in the file, there is no reason to worry about keeping them.

I hope the next guy reads this post BEFORE having the problem. After working all day it took about 5 minutes to fix it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

👍 Good catch, I'm glad you didn't have to lose all your add-ons!

Radar