Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Please Help. Models, Sounds and...AI ??

Pro Member Trainee
Jack (CaptainDale) Trainee

Hi there, let me start by congratulating the owners of this site. I use it constantly for answers and interest and its a fantastic source of information for flight simulator.
I'm currently using FS9 still. I personally find it easier to use as apose to FSX.

However watching videos on youtube and other sites of people using FS2004 makes me a little jealous. I am very unaware of how to do a lot of what they do. The flying side of things isnt a problem, I am a private pilot and thats fine. However its the downloads. I do a lot of free downloads, tending to use the following site's

Avsim
Flightsimzone
Flightsim.com
simviation

However recently I have noticed a lot of changes in the way freeware works. For example on most of the freeware sites I use, it says "textures only" or "This is a repaint of" and I find it sometimes impossible to locate the origional aircraft. Some of the sites actually give you options for just the aircraft download itself which i'm sure your all aware, but yet still the problem of pages and pages of "textures only" downloads persists.
Its very frustrating, especially after waiting for thirty minutes for what you think is going to be a great download of a new plane, to find a folder with textures for an aircraft you originally intended to download.

This and also the problem of downloading sound addons to an aircraft. The sounds of the original aircraft in FS9 sound nothing like they do in real life...its just a loud noise. So sourcing some great looking AI? Sound downloads on the web seemed like the perfect idea. Once the download has done...it doesnt state where to put it? In which folder or what to do with it? It seems that the people that upload these files seem to believe that everyone downloading them knows exactly what to do with all of these files once installed. From hours of painstaking experience I am fully aware as I'm sure you are too, that the majority of downloads aren't a simple drag and drop. Especially the sounds.

Sorry for the rant...needed to get it off my chest lol

So now this is where I need help.

Three questions.

1) How do I do a search on a freeware site for aircraft as in THE AIRCRAFT MODEL not 300 pages of aircraft textures?

2) Occassionally I do attempt to download textures for a current aircraft. However once downloaded...have no idea what to do with them?

3) Once I've downloaded sounds that I want, what do I do with them, where do I place them?

4) Finally, what does AI mean? I see it all the time and don't know what it is? AI Aircraft etc...?

I hope that someone has the knowledge to help me out, as its becoming a problem which is fast turning into me becoming more and more bored with a simulator I've loved for years.

Thanks in advance. Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

CaptainDale wrote:

Hi there, let me start by congratulating the owners of this site. I use it constantly for answers and interest and its a fantastic source of information for flight simulator.
I'm currently using FS9 still. I personally find it easier to use as apose to FSX.

However watching videos on youtube and other sites of people using FS2004 makes me a little jealous. I am very unaware of how to do a lot of what they do. The flying side of things isnt a problem, I am a private pilot and thats fine. However its the downloads. I do a lot of free downloads, tending to use the following site's

Avsim
Flightsimzone
Flightsim.com
simviation

However recently I have noticed a lot of changes in the way freeware works. For example on most of the freeware sites I use, it says "textures only" or "This is a repaint of" and I find it sometimes impossible to locate the origional aircraft. Some of the sites actually give you options for just the aircraft download itself which i'm sure your all aware, but yet still the problem of pages and pages of "textures only" downloads persists.
Its very frustrating, especially after waiting for thirty minutes for what you think is going to be a great download of a new plane, to find a folder with textures for an aircraft you originally intended to download.

This and also the problem of downloading sound addons to an aircraft. The sounds of the original aircraft in FS9 sound nothing like they do in real life...its just a loud noise. So sourcing some great looking AI? Sound downloads on the web seemed like the perfect idea. Once the download has done...it doesnt state where to put it? In which folder or what to do with it? It seems that the people that upload these files seem to believe that everyone downloading them knows exactly what to do with all of these files once installed. From hours of painstaking experience I am fully aware as I'm sure you are too, that the majority of downloads aren't a simple drag and drop. Especially the sounds.

Sorry for the rant...needed to get it off my chest lol

So now this is where I need help.

Three questions.

1) How do I do a search on a freeware site for aircraft as in THE AIRCRAFT MODEL not 300 pages of aircraft textures?

Use a keyword, VC for virtual cockpit.

2) Occassionally I do attempt to download textures for a current aircraft. However once downloaded...have no idea what to do with them?

Bottom half of top post.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/knowledge/page/34/installing-addon-flight-simulator-downloads/

3) Once I've downloaded sounds that I want, what do I do with them, where do I place them?

They usually have a read-me with the download, but they should go into the the sound folder in the aircraft folder instead of the original one.

4) Finally, what does AI mean? I see it all the time and don't know what it is? AI Aircraft etc...?

AI=Artificial Intelligence but we use it for add-on aircraft that populate the Sim like Ultimate Traffic.

I hope that someone has the knowledge to help me out, as its becoming a problem which is fast turning into me becoming more and more bored with a simulator I've loved for years.

Thanks in advance. Smile

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

1) Usually you'll find the model name or author(s) name(s) in one of the ReadMe files. IMHO, both AVSIM and Flightsim have the best search engines, so let's stick with those. They also have a 'ZipDive' and a 'View' respectively.
These let you look into the .zip file before you download which is very helpful when you need to know whether you need any other parts for the a/c -- and of course it lets you access all the included documentation including the ReadMe files.

At AVSIM when you search for a model,

Search for: type the name model

In category: select Flight Simulator 2004 - Original Aircraft

At Flightsim it's pretty much the same. Sometimes at AVSIM the search engine won't yield a result even though you know the file is there. This IMO is still the aftermath of the attack they suffered.

2) We are not allowed to post links to other sites but we can tell you what to type into your Google search engine, try this:

fs2004 how to install textures

Top of the page: the FlightSim tutorial. You might also visit 'Grumpy's Lair' at Simviation - a wealth of information.

4) Type into your Google Search Engine: World of AI and go to the WOAI (World of AI) main page. Read the whole page, it's concise an tells you everything you need to know.

The best freeware AI and no messing about thanks to the installer.