Looks to be one hell of a cpu eater!

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

I bet this game is worst than FSX FPS wise, when it first came out.

Answers 19 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

Idunno, It'd be tough to beat FSX in the CPU slapping department. Seeing as they have an entirely new development team, I would hope that this version will be coded a little more efficiently than the last. But there's almost no information available about it... Can't even speculate very well at this point lol

Microsoft would be very, very misguided if they didn't make a serious attempt to improve frame rates in MS Flight.

As far as I can tell, the only reason that so many people have stuck with FS2004 (and previous versions) is that the performance on FSX was so poor. I have spent about £1250 ($2000) on a new high-performance PC (i7 3GHz, 8MB RAM, nVidia GeForce 295 Graphics), mainly specifically to play FSX, yet coming into land at a big city airport I'm still down to a jerky 10-12FPS. In all honesty, this is totally unacceptable.

Yes, it has to be expected that people need to upgrade once in a while, but Microsoft cannot expect to sell a game which only achieves average performance on a top-of-the-range high-end system and nearly unplayable performance on an average system.

It appears as though MS Flight is going to be a complete re-write from the ground up - this can't come soon enough.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Just by looking at the graphics.... you better be worried about RAM, GPU, and motherboard requirements while you stressing over the CPUs....

Pro Member First Officer

I'm running several games that are just as pretty as the preview videos are on hardware that is decidedly mediocre when it comes to FSX. The reason FSX is coded so poorly is because it doesn't go a good job of using specialized hardware and instead dumps things that the GPU can do on the CPU. On top of that, multi-processor support was an afterthought. It's like they wanted it to be impossible to run well...

Basically if it does actually stress the GPU that means it's taking load of the CPU. Which is an amazing step forward.

Pro Member Trainee
Kumorigoe Trainee

I welcome Microsoft Flight.

I'm running a core i7-920 overclocked to 4.2 GHz. I don't think it can overpower that.

Pro Member Trainee
Carlin Trainee

Kumorigoe wrote:

Me too! I cant wait till MS releases it. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

I can wait, FSX is a good engine for the time being, and I'm not holding my breath for anything special from MS, after their previous products and their advertising campaigns. 🙄

Pro Member First Officer

Kumorigoe wrote:

I'm running a core i7-920 overclocked to 4.2 GHz. I don't think it can overpower that.

/me drools

That's the computer I've been trying not to buy for months now... I've had a newegg wishlist all picked out, bout 2500 and will devour anything.

Pro Member Trainee
Kumorigoe Trainee

It gets better.

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

Kumorigoe wrote:

It gets better.

Sweet set up ya got their, i have two 24 inch ASUS 1080 monitor to go along with Alien ware Area 51.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Kumorigoe wrote:

It gets better.

It will if you get rid of the revolting looking contents in your coffee mug and replace it with COFFEE... I'll bet the grumpy looking dude with the cigar will start smiling 😀

Kudos. Keep us updated - curious about your flight-controls, speakers etc..

Wish this would come out for xbox, as well

Pro Member Trainee
Kumorigoe Trainee

Tailhook wrote:

Kumorigoe wrote:

It gets better.

It will if you get rid of the revolting looking contents in your coffee mug and replace it with COFFEE... I'll bet the grumpy looking dude with the cigar will start smiling 😀

I'm currently running with a Saitek X52 Pro system for flight controls, and a Razer Megalodon 7.1 Surround headset for the audio.

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

Kumorigoe wrote:

It gets better.

Where's your TrackIR? Flying ain't nuthin without a TrackIR!

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

Kumorigoe wrote:

It gets better.

I looove the coffee comments! lol

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

wondering how it will handle all of the current addons...

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

wondering how it will handle all of the current addons... REX, Radar, etc...

Pro Member Trainee
dale0404 Trainee

Any idea of a release date yet?

White Russian Guest

I´m not too afraid of the flight system requirements because of two reasons:

1. Microsoft says they are going to aim at a larger customer base with MS Flight. How could they do that if it requires a brand-new high-end PC to run it decently? That totally doesn't make a sense. In addition to that, they are going to throw over the approach of shipping a product that is designed to last "for a long time" out of the box.

2. The poor performance of FSX is NOT a result of a too demanding game, it´s mainly a result of a totally wrong prediction of CPU-developement. They calculated with 8 GHZ 1 Core machines, maximum 2 Core machines! FSX was programmed to run on machines that have never been build. Service packs couldn't make up for this. There was bad luck with DX10 too, as we all know.

Nonetheless - you get "good" framerates on a medium-high PC (Sandy Bridge i5, 4GB ram, gtx 460) even with some grafik-upgrades like REX, GEX, UTX installed (and like some people mentioned, that is what "Flight" actually looks like).

Reconsidering this, it seems POSSIBLE to me, to deliver better graphics AND better performance compared to FSX on that very machine. My guess is, that Microsoft will leave the options to max out even upcoming high-end PCs to the huge and innovative amount of 3rd party developers, and give the "average" customer (s.o.) a good experience with the basic flightsim right from the start. That would totally make sense, money and would satisfy almost everybody...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...