Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Anyone wanna guess what kind of FPS i get with My area51?

   
Author Message
truckernick
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Mar 19, 2006
Posts: 557
Location: salt Lake City
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:59 am 

My new system is freaking out of this world fast! My old XPS got maybe 60 if i was lucky.
But my new Alienware Area51 gets not 60, not 70, not 80, but try 137 minimum FPS on FSX with all my addons and Captain Sim aircraft and all.

If any of you are looking for a new Rig, don't hesitate, get an Alienware.
Back to top
truckernick
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Mar 19, 2006
Posts: 557
Location: salt Lake City
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:11 am 

truckernick wrote:
My new system is freaking out of this world fast! My old XPS got maybe 60 if i was lucky.
But my new Alienware Area51 gets not 60, not 70, not 80, but try 137 minimum FPS on FSX with all my addons and Captain Sim aircraft and all.

If any of you are looking for a new Rig, don't hesitate, get an Alienware.

By the way, since Dell charges up the ass for interest, i pay 300 a month to keep the interest down, so I am working full time everyday to afford this piece of heaven.
Back to top
GundamWZero
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Dec 29, 2006
Posts: 625
Location: Ft. Bliss, Texas
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:27 am 

Hmmm... Interesting.

I hope that you are aware that the the human sees about 20 frames per second, and film runs about 35 frames per second...

So at 137fps, you are not really missing out on anything: I am running 40 fps (locked) using FSDreamteam San Francisco Airport and scenery pack, with World of AI supporting the AI flights at 1:00PM. All other scenery packs are maxed out. No lags, skips, or jitters. Everything is smooth... but seeing that your old system was doing 60 fps, why the switch?

If you are spending 300 bucks a month on your computer, you could have done much better building your own.... or making improvements to the old system.
Rodney J.
CEO, Southwest Virtual Airways

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it." - Erwin Rommel
Back to top
truckernick
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Mar 19, 2006
Posts: 557
Location: salt Lake City
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:14 am 

GundamWZero wrote:
Hmmm... Interesting.

I hope that you are aware that the the human sees about 20 frames per second, and film runs about 35 frames per second...

So at 137fps, you are not really missing out on anything: I am running 40 fps (locked) using FSDreamteam San Francisco Airport and scenery pack, with World of AI supporting the AI flights at 1:00PM. All other scenery packs are maxed out. No lags, skips, or jitters. Everything is smooth... but seeing that your old system was doing 60 fps, why the switch?

If you are spending 300 bucks a month on your computer, you could have done much better building your own.... or making improvements to the old system.

First of all, my old system was going, not much i could have done there.
and second, I'm not gonna build a PC that's better than this Alienware, building your own system is the cheap way out of having a bad ass gaming rig.
And the I7 processor is a $1000 processor, I would rather buy a new system that has it already.
And never have i had a case that is so easy to do maintenance in.
And you say your system is so good and smooth, lets see a video to prove this theory.
And not to be rude, but until you have owned one of these baby's, you will never understand where I am coming from here.
Back to top
truckernick
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Mar 19, 2006
Posts: 557
Location: salt Lake City
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:16 am 

GundamWZero wrote:
Hmmm... Interesting.

I hope that you are aware that the the human sees about 20 frames per second, and film runs about 35 frames per second...

So at 137fps, you are not really missing out on anything: I am running 40 fps (locked) using FSDreamteam San Francisco Airport and scenery pack, with World of AI supporting the AI flights at 1:00PM. All other scenery packs are maxed out. No lags, skips, or jitters. Everything is smooth... but seeing that your old system was doing 60 fps, why the switch?

If you are spending 300 bucks a month on your computer, you could have done much better building your own.... or making improvements to the old system.

My point with the FPS is that I have never had fsx run and look so good, along with Crysis, GTAIV, GOW, and all my other FPS killer games.
Back to top
truckernick
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Mar 19, 2006
Posts: 557
Location: salt Lake City
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:19 am 

GundamWZero wrote:
Hmmm... Interesting.

I hope that you are aware that the the human sees about 20 frames per second, and film runs about 35 frames per second...

So at 137fps, you are not really missing out on anything: I am running 40 fps (locked) using FSDreamteam San Francisco Airport and scenery pack, with World of AI supporting the AI flights at 1:00PM. All other scenery packs are maxed out. No lags, skips, or jitters. Everything is smooth... but seeing that your old system was doing 60 fps, why the switch?

If you are spending 300 bucks a month on your computer, you could have done much better building your own.... or making improvements to the old system.

And c-mon man, dreamteam stuff and project ai? those just don't effect FPS at all really, they kinda suck, just my personal opinion.
Get stuff like MytrafficX, and Captain sim aircraft, flytampa airports.
They are the real frame eaters, but not on my system.
Back to top
GundamWZero
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Dec 29, 2006
Posts: 625
Location: Ft. Bliss, Texas
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:44 am 

truckernick wrote:
GundamWZero wrote:
Hmmm... Interesting.

I hope that you are aware that the the human sees about 20 frames per second, and film runs about 35 frames per second...

So at 137fps, you are not really missing out on anything: I am running 40 fps (locked) using FSDreamteam San Francisco Airport and scenery pack, with World of AI supporting the AI flights at 1:00PM. All other scenery packs are maxed out. No lags, skips, or jitters. Everything is smooth... but seeing that your old system was doing 60 fps, why the switch?

If you are spending 300 bucks a month on your computer, you could have done much better building your own.... or making improvements to the old system.

And c-mon man, dreamteam stuff and project ai? those just don't effect FPS at all really, they kinda suck, just my personal opinion.
Get stuff like MytrafficX, and Captain sim aircraft, flytampa airports.
They are the real frame eaters, but not on my system.


I am not knocking your system, I am just looking at a more cost effective alternative, with the option of upgrading without turning in your rig to complete the process....

Take for instance your 1000.00 i7 Processor.... I have the same i7 970 unlocked processor for 799.99, however I am running on 24 gb of RAM and Tri-SLi 465 GTX Graphic Cards.... And I haven't began overclocking the system because I am waiting to get a proper watercooling system for it. I also put in two OCZ 128GB SSDs to run FSX on. In all, I spent roughly 4 grand. To be honest, I would have turned to Falcon Northwest to pick out a worthy system.... but I pretty much use them to set up my current system... for cheaper.

I have FlyTampa Kai Tak scenery pack... I really like it. However FSDreamteam runs with Aerosoft AES (Airport Enhancement Services), which pretty much runs all the animations the airport has.

But like I said... I am not here to knock your system... it sounds great. But I would have built my own for much cheaper.
Rodney J.
CEO, Southwest Virtual Airways

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it." - Erwin Rommel
Back to top
truckernick
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Mar 19, 2006
Posts: 557
Location: salt Lake City
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 am 

GundamWZero wrote:
truckernick wrote:
GundamWZero wrote:
Hmmm... Interesting.

I hope that you are aware that the the human sees about 20 frames per second, and film runs about 35 frames per second...

So at 137fps, you are not really missing out on anything: I am running 40 fps (locked) using FSDreamteam San Francisco Airport and scenery pack, with World of AI supporting the AI flights at 1:00PM. All other scenery packs are maxed out. No lags, skips, or jitters. Everything is smooth... but seeing that your old system was doing 60 fps, why the switch?

If you are spending 300 bucks a month on your computer, you could have done much better building your own.... or making improvements to the old system.

And c-mon man, dreamteam stuff and project ai? those just don't effect FPS at all really, they kinda suck, just my personal opinion.
Get stuff like MytrafficX, and Captain sim aircraft, flytampa airports.
They are the real frame eaters, but not on my system.


I am not knocking your system, I am just looking at a more cost effective alternative, with the option of upgrading without turning in your rig to complete the process....

Take for instance your 1000.00 i7 Processor.... I have the same i7 970 unlocked processor for 799.99, however I am running on 24 gb of RAM and Tri-SLi 465 GTX Graphic Cards.... And I haven't began overclocking the system because I am waiting to get a proper watercooling system for it. I also put in two OCZ 128GB SSDs to run FSX on. In all, I spent roughly 4 grand. To be honest, I would have turned to Falcon Northwest to pick out a worthy system.... but I pretty much use them to set up my current system... for cheaper.

I have FlyTampa Kai Tak scenery pack... I really like it. However FSDreamteam runs with Aerosoft AES (Airport Enhancement Services), which pretty much runs all the animations the airport has.

But like I said... I am not here to knock your system... it sounds great. But I would have built my own for much cheaper.

I got ya man
But I have wanted an Alienware for years now, and now i finally have one thats completely customized and runs any game i have better than i could have ever hoped for.
And the case, O man i love the case, the vents on top that keep stuff cool when it gets hot inside, and it's so easy to work in, everything is so simple, no wires for the hard drives, no mess of wires inside, it's so sleak, everything hides away, usb ports ect...
But anyways enough of my jibber jabber.
I love this computer, and don't get me wrong i did think about building my own, but i don't want to go through the hassle of it and take chances of screwing up with something, and i wanted quality, this case is all metal, no plastic at really, it ways 92 pounds.
And building my own would run me up to about the same price of my AW, so i just went with the Alienware, and let me tell ya, best decision i ever made, aside from my kid.
Back to top
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Oct 12, 2005
Posts: 8477
Location: El Dorado
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:27 am 

I am assuming this is the rig in question:

Arrow http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-area51-alx/pd?refid=alienware-area-51-alx&s=dhs&cs=19&~ck=mn

Now what I don't understand is why what I assume to be a recent Dell model it doesn't include a USB 3.0 port. The only plausible explanation could be that Dell have a couple of million old proprietary mobos lying around which they want to get rid of before taking the 'giant' step up to USB 3.0... odd when considering that small vendors next door have been supplying USB 3.0 connectivity for many moons.

Any thoughts on that?


My curiosity has no end. I have tried my best to find my way through the glossy Alienware pages and yes, I'm looking at the Tech Specs - nowhere does it say that these i7 processors are multicore.

Can anyone confirm that the i7s are single core?



PS and Off Topic:

Of all the media players I've tried, VLC is by far the best (Microsoft zealots are not eligible to take part in this debate) - there is one caveat: VLC can glitch with multicore processors. Very annoying.
I am not prepared to run one multicore PC for the sim and another single core for my media - or should I Shocked

Greetings!
Back to top
truckernick
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Mar 19, 2006
Posts: 557
Location: salt Lake City
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:15 am 

Tailhook wrote:
I am assuming this is the rig in question:

Arrow http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-area51-alx/pd?refid=alienware-area-51-alx&s=dhs&cs=19&~ck=mn

Now what I don't understand is why what I assume to be a recent Dell model it doesn't include a USB 3.0 port. The only plausible explanation could be that Dell have a couple of million old proprietary mobos lying around which they want to get rid of before taking the 'giant' step up to USB 3.0... odd when considering that small vendors next door have been supplying USB 3.0 connectivity for many moons.

Any thoughts on that?


My curiosity has no end. I have tried my best to find my way through the glossy Alienware pages and yes, I'm looking at the Tech Specs - nowhere does it say that these i7 processors are multicore.

Can anyone confirm that the i7s are single core?



PS and Off Topic:

Of all the media players I've tried, VLC is by far the best (Microsoft zealots are not eligible to take part in this debate) - there is one caveat: VLC can glitch with multicore processors. Very annoying.
I am not prepared to run one multicore PC for the sim and another single core for my media - or should I Shocked

Greetings!

Yeah that is mine, except i have the Area 51 only, not the ALX model.
And i can confirm that these I7's do indeed have multi cores, six to be exact in mine.
And also i can tell you that this system is the coolest running, fastest most incredible thing i have ever seen.
It does everything i could ever want in a pc.
With my old model, say i was flying into Buffalo NY with all the addons of the airport and AI traffic and REX, i fly there and i get maybe 3FPS, so i could never fly there, but now i fly there and with all the addons and everything, i get perfect smooth, awesome looking game-play.
Best 3800 i ever spent.
Back to top
Kumorigoe
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Joined: Sep 14, 2010
Posts: 11
Location: DFW area
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:18 pm 

This is my custom-built system.
Back to top
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Oct 12, 2005
Posts: 8477
Location: El Dorado
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:50 am 

truckernick wrote:


And also i can tell you that this system is the coolest running, fastest most incredible thing i have ever seen.


I take it then that you've already dug a grave and buried your old pick-up truck and will be taking your new rig (Alienware) when you go mudding next time? Very Happy

Very happy that you're having so much fun with your new rig. Oh, I did what I should have done in the first place and googled for the i7 processors. As you said, they have multiple cores - I should have known.
Back to top
GundamWZero
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Dec 29, 2006
Posts: 625
Location: Ft. Bliss, Texas
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 am 

Kumorigoe wrote:
This is my custom-built system.


You are on the right path... Very Happy

I am not done yet, but here is mines:











The Obsidian 800Ds are great cases; you can hot swap HDDs or SSDs on the fly, massive room to add a water cooling system and still have room to add more.

I haven't finished working on mines yet, I want to sleeve the wiring and SATA cables, add a EK water cooling system and throw in some more Carbon Fiber Vinyl to the inside of the case. But I have manage to also mod the keyboard and mouse:







Rodney J.
CEO, Southwest Virtual Airways

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it." - Erwin Rommel
Back to top
belgeode
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Jun 22, 2007
Posts: 2032
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 pm 

Hi... I realize this is an "I love Alienware" thread... but Area 51? Yeah you are going to get good fps there... same as you would if you were flying around southern arkansas, or in the middle of the mojave desert.

Put that alienware to the REAL test. Fly the corridor from DCA through to BOS, with stops in LGA, PHL, or JFK... set your traffic to a decent number... let's say 75% commercial, and use a payware commercial plane... Wilco for starters...

Now tell me the Alienware is getting over 100 fps then...

(As stated above, the human eye cannot really discern anything greater than 26 frames per second, so the rest is overkill)...


Ok, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

(This has been a tongue in cheek production... I could not resist)
US AIR TALES- Stories of one man's virtual life as a pilot
Back to top
Traches
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Joined: Jan 31, 2008
Posts: 489
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:54 pm 

belgeode wrote:


(As stated above, the human eye cannot really discern anything greater than 26 frames per second, so the rest is overkill)...


I have to disagree here; there is no real measurement of how fast the human eye can see. In tests fighter pilots have been known to identify aircraft shown to them for only 1/100 of a second; and if you throw a white frame into a series of black ones running at several hundred fps you'd for sure notice it.

On top of that, it is very easy to tell the difference between a game running at 26 fps (The low end of playability) and a game running at 60 (the refresh rate of your average lcd.) I hear that there's a world of difference between 60hz and 120hz gameplay wise, if you invest in a monitor that fast. (Which I'd love to do... Very Happy )

Movies work at 26fps because the framerates are rock solid, regardless of what's on the screen, and because of motion blur in each frame. Without motion blur, a game running at 20-30fps will clearly stutter when panning the camera.

TL;DR version: 60+fps is where it's at Very Happy



Trucker, alienware may perform well, but they are a huge ripoff. With a little research you could build the same computer for half of what you paid for that rig, and it would probably be overall better quality.
Back to top
truckernick
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Mar 19, 2006
Posts: 557
Location: salt Lake City
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:59 pm 

belgeode wrote:
Hi... I realize this is an "I love Alienware" thread... but Area 51? Yeah you are going to get good fps there... same as you would if you were flying around southern arkansas, or in the middle of the mojave desert.

Put that alienware to the REAL test. Fly the corridor from DCA through to BOS, with stops in LGA, PHL, or JFK... set your traffic to a decent number... let's say 75% commercial, and use a payware commercial plane... Wilco for starters...

Now tell me the Alienware is getting over 100 fps then...

(As stated above, the human eye cannot really discern anything greater than 26 frames per second, so the rest is overkill)...


Ok, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

(This has been a tongue in cheek production... I could not resist)

I can safely tell you it's all true.
First of all, I only fly to payware add on airports, I have plenty of them ranging from FlyTampa, all the way to ImagineSim's stuff.

And while flying to most of these airports, I am flying PMDG's 747, or MD-11, sometimes Captain Sim's 727, and 757.

My settings for graphics and everything are set to 100%, barely half of what the computer can handle, traffic sliders are set to 95% with no big notices in FPS, except at maybe LAX, and Aerosoft's Heathrow, anywhere else I really can't notice a big change in fps.
Seeing as you probably don't own one of these machines, I can see you are a bit skeptical of it. But trust me I was just as skeptical, if not more before I bought my Alienware, but once I played Crysis, GTAiv, Bad Company, all these graphic intense games... I was very very surprised, it by far exceeded my expectations more than I could have ever imagined.

It's an awesome machine, it stays fairly cool, and the best part is it is highly upgradable and easy to work in, and is an energy star, so it hasn't driven up my power bill at all, because this tower weighs 90 pounds, and is massive, I had to buy a new stand to put this thing on.
Back to top
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Oct 12, 2005
Posts: 8477
Location: El Dorado
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:01 am 

Traches wrote:

I hear that there's a world of difference between 60hz and 120hz gameplay wise, if you invest in a monitor that fast.


Now there is an interesting statement which only adds to my confusion regarding monitors... may the gods grant me temporary sanity to only concentrate on monitors at this moment Very Happy


So here is the speed or lack thereof of my current monitor:


Horizontal Frequency 30 - 83 kHz

Vertical Frequency 56 - 76 Hz

...and then there is the:

Gamma 2.20

...and of course I haven't got a clue what that means Shocked

So I guess my question is how do you make sense out of these specs and more importantly what does one concentrate on when shopping for a new (fast) monitor?
Back to top
Traches
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Joined: Jan 31, 2008
Posts: 489
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:59 am 

Wait... Tailhook you have horizontal frequency and vertical frequency? Do you have a CRT? Gamma has to do with brightness, it should be adjustable...

Anyway with LCDs the big things to worry about are resolution, size, contrast ratio, and overall reliability of the brand. If you play a lot of twich games response time is also worth worrying about.

For example, 1080p resolution is 1920x1080 which is the number of pixels, but the pixels can be different sizes which is why you can have a 22" and a 25" monitor and have them both be 1920x1080. (The size of the pixels is called pixel pitch, but it's directly determined by the size of the monitor and its resolution. A lower pixel pitch means a sharper image, but also smaller font sizes.)

Contrast ratio is the difference between the darkest black and the lightest white the monitor can display, so the bigger the number the better. (It'll be a ratio, i.e. 1,000:1 or 10,000:1)

When it comes to refresh rate, most LCDs are either 60 or 75 cycles per second. Higher is generally better. They are just now coming out with some that will do 120hz, generally intended for 3d viewing (Modern 3d works by doubling the framerate and polarizing each frame oppositely, so with the glasses each of your eyes only sees every other frame.) However if you ditch the 3d gimmick, then you can run at straight up 120hz and allegedly get a much smoother experience. I haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure...

And response time is the amount of time between when a computer sends a frame to the monitor and when that frame shows up on the screen. Even a slow monitor's is below 20 milliseconds, so like I said it's only really a factor if you play twitch games competitively online.

Anyway there's more to it than that, but that's pretty much the basics. Overclock.net has a much more in-depth explanation---

http://www.overclock.net/monitors-displays/940066-monitor-guide-specifications-features-defined.html
Back to top
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Oct 12, 2005
Posts: 8477
Location: El Dorado
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:07 am 

Thanks Bob, as usual you are providing expert advice... ever thought of becoming a salesman in a computer store? Very Happy

Well no, mine is not a CRT though they had to put me in a straight-jacket and knock me out when they were picking it up to replace it with my current one which, to the best of my knowledge is an LCD.
Thanks to you I finally found a pretty detailed Spec guide which would have been so handy when I got this monitor first, here it is:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2408wfp/en/ug/about.htm

I've saved your post above as a document so I can refer to it when the need arises as it will take me some time to digest and REMEMBER at least some of what you explained. Also, thanks for the link to Overclock's Monitor Guide - a great site BTW which I had confused with overclockers.com.
Back to top
Traches
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Joined: Jan 31, 2008
Posts: 489
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:19 am 

Tailhook wrote:
Thanks Bob, as usual you are providing expert advice... ever thought of becoming a salesman in a computer store? Very Happy

Well no, mine is not a CRT though they had to put me in a straight-jacket and knock me out when they were picking it up to replace it with my current one which, to the best of my knowledge is an LCD.
Thanks to you I finally found a pretty detailed Spec guide which would have been so handy when I got this monitor first, here it is:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2408wfp/en/ug/about.htm

I've saved your post above as a document so I can refer to it when the need arises as it will take me some time to digest and REMEMBER at least some of what you explained. Also, thanks for the link to Overclock's Monitor Guide - a great site BTW which I had confused with overclockers.com.


Haha only for you Tailhook, and only because of your glowing reviews Very Happy

I'd be a bad salesman though, I'd talk people out of spending more than they need to... which I hear is a terrible quality to have. Anyway if you ever have questions you know where to find me.
Back to top
belgeode
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Jun 22, 2007
Posts: 2032
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:11 pm 

truckernick wrote:
belgeode wrote:
Hi... I realize this is an "I love Alienware" thread... but Area 51? Yeah you are going to get good fps there... same as you would if you were flying around southern arkansas, or in the middle of the mojave desert.

Put that alienware to the REAL test. Fly the corridor from DCA through to BOS, with stops in LGA, PHL, or JFK... set your traffic to a decent number... let's say 75% commercial, and use a payware commercial plane... Wilco for starters...

Now tell me the Alienware is getting over 100 fps then...

(As stated above, the human eye cannot really discern anything greater than 26 frames per second, so the rest is overkill)...


Ok, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

(This has been a tongue in cheek production... I could not resist)

I can safely tell you it's all true.
First of all, I only fly to payware add on airports, I have plenty of them ranging from FlyTampa, all the way to ImagineSim's stuff.

And while flying to most of these airports, I am flying PMDG's 747, or MD-11, sometimes Captain Sim's 727, and 757.

My settings for graphics and everything are set to 100%, barely half of what the computer can handle, traffic sliders are set to 95% with no big notices in FPS, except at maybe LAX, and Aerosoft's Heathrow, anywhere else I really can't notice a big change in fps.
Seeing as you probably don't own one of these machines, I can see you are a bit skeptical of it. But trust me I was just as skeptical, if not more before I bought my Alienware, but once I played Crysis, GTAiv, Bad Company, all these graphic intense games... I was very very surprised, it by far exceeded my expectations more than I could have ever imagined.

It's an awesome machine, it stays fairly cool, and the best part is it is highly upgradable and easy to work in, and is an energy star, so it hasn't driven up my power bill at all, because this tower weighs 90 pounds, and is massive, I had to buy a new stand to put this thing on.


Give my your computer... NAAAAOOOO!

I need an upgrade anyway. Bout time for me to build a new one.
US AIR TALES- Stories of one man's virtual life as a pilot
Back to top
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Oct 12, 2005
Posts: 8477
Location: El Dorado
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:27 am 

GundamWZero wrote:
I also put in two OCZ 128GB SSDs to run FSX on.


I am aware of the advantages of the SSDs and hopefully they will replace our current hard drives in the future once their prices have dropped dramatically. Meanwhile, how do you run FSX on a total of 256GB?
My current FSX install which is by no means out of the ordinary let alone 'big', takes up 84.0GB.

I am sure I am missing something here... but please do enlighten me Idea
Back to top
Traches
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Joined: Jan 31, 2008
Posts: 489
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:49 pm 

I'd say he's almost certainly running them in RAID, which is where 2 or more physical hard drives are seen by windows as one. You can set it up to where the disks are a mirror image of each other so you don't get twice the storage, but you do get almost twice the read speed. So FSX loads in about a quarter of a second Twisted Evil

That or he's got other games as well.
Back to top
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Oct 12, 2005
Posts: 8477
Location: El Dorado
Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:17 pm 

Thanks for your reply Bob. I currently have a RAID setup on conventional drive(s)... don't ask me which of the three RAID (scenarios) it is Shocked

Having said that, I personally am not too concerned about the loading time of the sim itself - have long ago adapted the habit of taking a lengthy beauty sleep while the sim springs or should that be 'stutters' to life.
My primary concern is always the performance while at play.

On another note, presently a fair sized SSD costs about as much as a half decent computer... ouch.
Back to top
GundamWZero
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Dec 29, 2006
Posts: 625
Location: Ft. Bliss, Texas
Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:29 am 

Tailhook wrote:
GundamWZero wrote:
I also put in two OCZ 128GB SSDs to run FSX on.


I am aware of the advantages of the SSDs and hopefully they will replace our current hard drives in the future once their prices have dropped dramatically. Meanwhile, how do you run FSX on a total of 256GB?
My current FSX install which is by no means out of the ordinary let alone 'big', takes up 84.0GB.

I am sure I am missing something here... but please do enlighten me Idea


Ooh... did I say that???Shocked

My apologies, I only run FSX on one 128gb SSD..... Embarassed The other 128gb SSD runs my operating system.

I decided long ago not to jam my HDDs (or my future SSDs) full of FSX add-ons. So I limited myself by getting only high quality payware aircrafts and scenery files. So I currently have used up 80.4 gb of space, which is not a problem at the moment.
Rodney J.
CEO, Southwest Virtual Airways

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it." - Erwin Rommel
Back to top
Traches
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Joined: Jan 31, 2008
Posts: 489
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:36 pm 

That they do... Fortunately you can get away with using a small SSD for windows and various programs, and use a big old regular drive for everything else. I'm running a 64 gig SSD that cost about $115 and is plenty of room for windows and most of my programs. Not FSX though...
Back to top
Guest






Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:20 pm 

Wow! I struggle to get 30fps. I have most of my settings maximum and I have FlyTampa Kai Tak and St Maarten, St Barthemely(?), Saba. I also record with craps and play Minecraft(Epiic!) at the same time. I have a HP Pavilion Dv600, 2.50GB(x2) RAM, nVidia GeForce 8400M GS graphics, Intel Xeon Quad Core(x2) processor @ 1.60Ghz each, 500GB HDD, 1TB external, LogiTech Attack 3 joystick, Genius Joystick(Just awwful), Xbox360 wireless controller/Headset adapter, An Xbox 360, Hauppage HD PVR and a gaming mouse in my MPC (Mobile Personal Computer). Yes all that at the same tine as Fsx and I get about 20-25fps. F***** Hate my MPc. I'm jelous.. Wish I had an Alienware. Even a standard one. FML lol
Back to top
GundamWZero
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Joined: Dec 29, 2006
Posts: 625
Location: Ft. Bliss, Texas
Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:47 pm 

Until laptops can reach the performance of a mid-level desktop, they will always be second best when running FSX. That is just the way it is.
Rodney J.
CEO, Southwest Virtual Airways

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it." - Erwin Rommel
Back to top
   
All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Related Topics

Sign-Up

Signing-up for a Pro account gives you super fast uncapped speed to the thousands of FSX, FS2004 & X-Plane downloads which include aircraft, scenery and more - click here to view the library for free or...

Go Pro
Sign-Up Now

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter

Join over 130,000 subscribers of our free dedicated flight simulation newsletter. Featuring new downloads, products and industry news.

 

Survey

Have you downloaded your copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition?

Yes, they have really improved it.
No, I haven't downloaded it yet...
I'm going to stick with my original FSX.
I haven't even moved to FSX, I'm sticking with FS2004.
No, X-Plane all the way!
...there's a Steam Edition?
I've moved to Prepar3D.

Votes 15433

Social

Follow us on Social Networks

Subscribe to our newsletter

 
RSS Feed iPhone App

Terms & Privacy Policy | Contact Us

Copyright © 2018 Fly Away Simulation. All Rights Reserved.