Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

The dreaded "will FSX run question"

Pro Member Trainee
b_kennedy Trainee

Hi guys. Sorry to spam the forum with this question but I can't seem to find a definate answer. Basically I have the following PC spec:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01197709&lang=en&cc=us&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=3548178&prodTypeId=12454

I have upgraded the video card to a Nvidia 8500 GT about a year ago but can't get many frames per second still. If I were to upgrade to a proper ATI 1GB for example would it be good enough with the rest of my spec to run well. I'm not expecting to max everything out but generally on 30fps would be nice.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you add 2 more gigs of ram plus the card you should be able to run it at 20fps, that's all you need for FSX.
The only problem is that the power supply isn't big enough to handle it properly.

I just read it again and all it can handle is 2 gigs ram, not 4.

You can try, but...

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
b_kennedy Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

If you add 2 more gigs of ram plus the card you should be able to run it at 20fps, that's all you need for FSX.
The only problem is that the power supply isn't big enough to handle it properly.

I just read it again and all it can handle is 2 gigs ram, not 4.

You can try, but...

Radar

Sorry I should have stated I up'd the power supply to accommodate the 8500 GT but can't remember by how much. I'll check tomorro. What power roughly will I be looking at for a half decent card?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Power, card 1 gig, power supply at least 750w.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Kumorigoe Trainee

Maximum memory on that board is two gigabytes. FSX will run, just not at anything I would consider playable.

Pro Member Trainee
b_kennedy Trainee

Kumorigoe wrote:

Maximum memory on that board is two gigabytes. FSX will run, just not at anything I would consider playable.

It runs ok. Not as many textures as I was running in fs9 but still a consistent 28 FPS.

Is it not worth upgrading the video then?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Locked at 20 is fine for FSX, 30 minimum was the goal on FS9.

Try it and see if you like it.

Radar