About to buy a new video card

Davno Guest

Hi, I am looking for a new high end graphic card and would like to know wich one Ati or Nvidia chipset and model work best with FS2004. I had previously some (driver compability problem) with Fs2004 and my FX5600.
Can you recommend a card in particular for FS2004? 😕

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

What do you want to spend, and don't buy a $400 card if your going to get a new system in 6 months.
I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 and think it's great. About $180 now on the net.

Take a look at this and let us know which you like.

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-10.html

Radar

RadarMan wrote:

Take a look at this and let us know which you like.

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-10.html

Radar

Reading these Benchmark result, i dont see much improvement between the pro9800 128 meg versus the 256 meg. i guess the next step up would be a GE6800 or the x800 radeon. I am building a brand new box and the vidcard is the last item that i am not sure yet. ATI or NVIDIA chipset since my bad experience with fs 2004 and the Nvidia fx5600 card. Only an old driver was suitable and all the newer nvidia drivers were causing probleme (freeze on outside view of the aircraft)with add-on aircraft texture (Gmax type). This is why i am a bit scared to spend for a Geforce since i will play mostly FS2004.
Thank you for the link.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

NVIDIA makes a good quality card but I do prefer ATI.
The 5600 you had was very out of date for the sim.
If you are going to build a new machine I would think about getting a top quality card that will last 2 or more years. The 800xt PE is a good example or get a lesser card and then in a year or so get a new super card when all the hardware will have to conform to the new 64bit technology that will be in "Longhorn", the new MS OS system

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php?page_id=5&sortby=popular-&vendors%5B%5D=0&popup1%5B%5D=0&popup1_attr_id%5B%5D=387&popup2%5B%5D=0&popup2_attr_id%5B%5D=596&popup3%5B%5D=0&popup3_attr_id%5B%5D=371&popup4%5B%5D=0&popup4_attr_id%5B%5D=344&popup5%5B%5D=0&popup5_attr_id%5B%5D=54&popup6%5B%5D=0&lo_p=0&hi_p=0&form_keyword=800xt&sortby=priceA

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...