SearchSearch 

Computer advice

finishstrong413 Guest

My son is an avid Virtual Flier - uses Microsoft FSX and is the Senior Captain for SWA Virtual...His Dell laptop has DIED! He is 14 and wants to be an Commercial Airline pilot..we are looking for an inexpensive computer that can be used for all he needs with the FSX, his gears, brakes, joystick...etc! As his parents we are at a lost as to wear to turn - he can use our family laptop for school work, etc...but would like to have a either a desktop or laptop for him... HELP!!! An in need mom! 😕

3 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

finishstrong413 wrote:

My son is an avid Virtual Flier - uses Microsoft FSX and is the Senior Captain for SWA Virtual...His Dell laptop has DIED! He is 14 and wants to be an Commercial Airline pilot..we are looking for an inexpensive computer that can be used for all he needs with the FSX, his gears, brakes, joystick...etc! As his parents we are at a lost as to wear to turn - he can use our family laptop for school work, etc...but would like to have a either a desktop or laptop for him... HELP!!! An in need mom! 😕

Post this in the Hardware Forum where it belongs and you might get a quicker reply Read

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

Whatever you do, don't buy an alienware desktop. They're fast, but there's a huge markup on them as well.

I don't usually shop for pre-built computers (I'm a nerd and build my own), so I can't really point you in a good direction to shop for them. However if you do come across a computer that looks like a good deal, I can tell you if it's worth it and how well it'll run flight sim!

Look for something with a newer intel processor (They're a little more expensive than AMD, but faster.) Also, look for a good graphics card... I'm aware that you probably have no idea what's good and what isn't, but just remember what they say about its graphics and I can tell you about it.

Also, in general a desktop will be cheaper than a laptop with similar capabilities, so if portability is not a huge concern you can save some money that way.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Start here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856115041

You will need a decent video card, monitor, and keyboard.

You should not even exceed $500.00.

I fly a couple of Southwest birds, a PMDG 737-800 and iFly's 737-700. Trying to start into flying virtual airlines as well.