SearchSearch 

need advice on video card

earthdance Guest

I am about to purchase a video card. Since the system requirements on microsoft website say that we need at least a 8mb graphics card I was going to get a ATI 3D RAGE PRO 2X 32MB or a Riva TNT 8mb 3D
But I am not sure, does it mean the better the video card the better scenery you will get on the game?? Will the 8mb do? Give me your advice please

11 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Dude, you NEED at least a 128 MB card to enjoy the sim, I have a 256, and it still gets as low as 16 frames in some places. (that means it does get slow, but with Ultimate Traffic at 100%, it works)

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

FEM is very correct.
You should tell us about your computer specs.
Read this post and it should help. ask more questions if you need.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/3730/about-to-buy-new-video-card/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
markyboy Trainee

I agree 128mb should be the minimum target size when purchasing a new card, any new software coming out will be hitting this as a minimum requirement very soon. In which case you will find yourself needing to upgrade again to keep up, the best advice when upgrading any hardware is to fit the highest spec both you and your pc can manage. the radeon 9000 range is a good middle of the market card to look at.

hope this helps markyboy.

earthdance Guest

Hi, regarding my PC system setup I have a Celeron 1,4Ghz , 256 MB Ram. Should I get a 128MB or 256 MB video card?

Chris

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your machine is getting old, and the amount of ram you have is very low.
You should have at leapt 512mb, I would get a 128mb card and save for a new machine or add some more ram to this one to give you better texture rendering, for now.
Take a look at the post above and the link in it. I also posted a link to TomsHardware with a video card graph.

Radar

earthdance Guest

what do you mean it's getting old?! I bought it two months ago LOL 😕 anyway I am planning on getting a 256 ram to add to it, will the 1.4 Ghz be ok for fsim?

Chris

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You bought a 1.4 2 months ago? Wana buy a bridge? 🙄

I'm running a 3 year old P-4 1.5-512mb Rambus-Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb card-XP-Home.

I keep the scenery up high, the traffic at 100% and I have Ultimate Traffic and USA Roads.

I keep the water off, as few clouds as possible and fly with the stutters over airports or major cities but like to see the scenery.
If you turn the scenery and the traffic down or the traffic off you'll get good results.

This is with 512mb, maybe you can add more, if you have XP not 9x.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

Not sure whether it's completely relevant, but I have the ATI9800pro, and when playing simcity 4, notice there's a few issues, esp. with scrolling, etc.

I searched on it, and it seems to be a confirmed issue with the card for some reason, and no amount of drivers will change it. If SC4 is on your must-play list, think about the equivalent NVidia...

earthdance Guest

It is a Celeron 1.4 Ghz , do you think this processor is fine for FS2004 with 512 MB ram?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

earthdance wrote:

It is a Celeron 1.4 Ghz , do you think this processor is fine for FS2004 with 512 MB ram?

If you have a good video card even with the amount of memory that you have you can run the sim at default settings or with some below default and still have a good time doing it.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

lol, Radarman and I are in the same boat, I've got the UT2004 too, and it stutters for me over major airports, sometime as low as 12FPS, but is to be expected.