SearchSearch 

Can anyone suggest a good joystick/throttle?

Dave Schwartz Guest

I an trying to get back into flight simming. Haven't used FS in a few years. Got a new computer and FSX and and ready to go. Plugged in my Saitek joystick/throttle and it didn't seem to be working well anymore. Can you friends recommend a good, current, moderatly priced joystick/throttle? Thanks, Dave

7 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

First you should check and see if they have some new software downloads that will activate your present stick to W7.
If not, were you happy with Saitek, then look them over and get one.
They make good products.

Radar

Excalibur2012 Guest

I recommend an old Saitek X45 setup. The reason I like it is that it actually still has a rudder toggle on the back of the throttle. To use the rudder on the new units you twist the joystick left and right. Might work for gamers, not for pilots.

Pro Member Trainee
gtmharpoon Trainee

Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner II - You can still find them on ebay or buy the new one - Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick - both of them you can split apart the joystick from the throttle but the Top Gun comes with a extra wing for the joystick when you split them up, which I always do. The extra wing from the Top Gun will fit on the new one but the color is just a little different. I also have a Saitek X-52 and I love it as well except the spring is to loose, I have seen fixes for it that you can do yourself but they take away a little control so I always go back to my Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner II - I would love to have a Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar PC Flight Stick but they are to much money

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

I too am getting back into fsX after a couple of years. I'm stuck with a CH flight stick pro glued through the hole in my desk in 2007. Good thing that it still works, although the x axsis (elevator) is wandering some.

Has a z axsis throttle on the base. What I like about CH flight stick and rudder pedals is the fsX recognizes them nativily and assigns them default control settings. No drivers needed.

Pro Member Trainee
cuartz7o Trainee

I'd second either the Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner II or the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick as a nice option for you. Having the separate throttle is nice and can add a bit of realism as opposed to using a tiny throttle lever on the joystick base like some other joysticks have (looking at you Microsoft).

I personally had the Saitek X52 and loved it although I'd agree that the spring could have been a bit firmer even though it suited me well.

The real question is if you want just a joystick or if you will eventually start looking at yokes in the future. I'd rather drop some money on a good yoke than a joystick if both were in my plans.

Pro Member Trainee
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Trainee

I posted an article here reviewing some great joysticks:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4684/

Feel free to comment on the article over there.

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
With twistable stick , throttle, POV, 12 buttons all up.