Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Advice on New Rig

Jstwannaknow Guest

My father-in-law is a flight sim enthusiast and is looking to build a new rig since mega scenery is challenging his old one. I would like advice on best bang for your buck (CPU/MB/Memory) as well as a suggested video card(s) that will support up to three monitors. Budget is up to $2K. I assume no issues running FSX on 64-bit Win7?

Many thanks in advance!

Pro Member Captain
Nick (truckernick) Captain

Always run on a 64bit windows 7 first of all.
And take into account that fsx is a major CPU hog, so that should be one of the main things you look into. I would recommend an Intel i7, and at least a quad core, but 6 core, 12 thread does wonders.

For multiple monitors, you should be able to get away with just dual video cards. Something like Nvidia's Geforce GTX 650. These are GDDR5 which is a little better for large amounts of data. (FSX)

Video cards like those paired with Ram, something like Corsair's dominator series. Mine are 4 gigs each. I have three sticks, so with a 64 bit OS, I'm utilizing 12 gigs of Ram, but unfortunately it's hard to make fsx use more than 4gigs.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

FSX will use all cores and ram if you load both SP1 and SP2 or buy Gold or just the Acceleration add-on.
They both contain SP1 and SP2.
It seems to work better for most flyer's if they buy Gold or the add-on then loading the two patches by themselves.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

I've never seen fsx use all the Ram, I've always seen it use only up to 4, even with sp1 and 2

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Since W7 uses 2gigs for itself, and programs running in the background use ram (Norton is a memory hog) then FSX can use all it needs to render a graphic intensive scene.
I have 12 gigs ram, I doubt that it's all used for FSX but quite a bit of it is.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

I don't think it uses much of mine. But then again I think something's up with mine, because lately it hasn't been running to smooth. And with my setup it should run damn near perfect. Maybe a reinstall

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

truckernick wrote:

I don't think it uses much of mine. But then again I think something's up with mine, because lately it hasn't been running to smooth. And with my setup it should run damn near perfect. Maybe a reinstall

Check for dust, this time of the year any buildup will heat up the machine and slow it up.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

It's not dusty, I blow out the case every couple weeks. It kind of feels like fsx is having a really bad memory leak. Because it will run with about 70fps and then all the sudden drop to like 12 for a second.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Thats why I lock mine at 20fps and it never drops below that...ever.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

Well mine I strongly believe somethings up. With my system
Alienware area51
Intel I7 990x extreme 6 core liquid cooled
Dual 1gig nvidia gtx 460's
12 gigs ddr3 ram, 4096 mbytes each

But yet at an airport like flytampa's tampa international Im getting 3 fps at the most. Just with ultimate traffic 2, even if I change my aircraft to the little trike glider thing

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes there is.
It's stronger and newer than mine and I do well.
Open the case and check out your video card, make sure the fan is working and it's seated tightly.
All cards work loose eventually because they contract and expand when heating up and cooling down when you shut off the computer.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

It didn't do anything, but long story short I just got Captain Sim's 777 and now fsx won't start. So I'm gonna try a clean reinstall.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Let us know how it works out.

Radar