FSCommander FSX

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

I seem to be running into this same problem quite a bit with the FSCommander under FSX. It seems there are quite a few airports in the United States where the FSCommander STAR charts don't agree with the actual runways at many airports. My latest AIRAC file is 1309 and FSCommander is showing just that when running the program. One of the last flight plans I tried was from KATL (Atlanta) to KTPA (Tampa) only to find the STAR listing didn't match any of the the designated runways for Tampa. Has anyone else run into this problem at other airports?

Answers 19 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

It appears that after some digging and looking at FScommander, AIRAC files, Airport AirNavcharts, etc, that the problem is in FScommander. All of my SID/STARS files point to FScommander not updating their map according to the AIRAC cycles. Why this is so is beyond me but this is the answer that I came up with. Now there might be another reason for this that I am overlooking so I am open to any suggestions or corrections.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Do you have this upgrade.

http://fscommander.com/download.htm

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Radarman... Thanks for the reply. I am having a dickens of a time trying to uninstall v9.2.1 from FSX. When I go to install an upgrade or a trial version it says to uninstall a previous version, yet FSC9 or FSCommander or anything like it has been removed. Are you currently running FSCommander v9.5 and if so does it update the various airport runways using the AIRAC files? I believe FSCommander to be the best on the market according to the latest information on v9.5 and I would like to purchase it or at least run the trial version but as I said, still stuck on how to delete any remains of a previous version before I can go any further.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

No I'm not using it.

You are leaving a "hidden" folder or something in the registry, that's why it won't reload without giving that message.

Try this and see if it helps with the uninstall.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/index.html

Let us know how you do.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Radarman.... Thanks for the link to the REVO uninstall program. It made short work of the files that were lingering around and making life miserable for me. It worked like a charm and made short work of the troublesome files. I have now installed FSCommander 9.5 which is the latest one out and I found that the airport runway numbers still do not agree with the AirNav airport chart dated Feb 06, 2014 so they still do not have them correct. The airport in question is KTPA, (Tampa). I am now debating whether or not it is worth purchasing the program with these errors which show up at other airports as well. I believe the program is written well but they should know that the ILS headings change periodically. I think it's due to the True North and Magnetic North which shift every now and then.

Many thanks once again for the link to a very nice program.

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Radarman..... One other item with reference to above. The SID/STARS in the FSCommander Ver 9.5 now match to the KTPA airport AirNav charts but the FSCommander map is still showing the wrong bearing from the runways. The latest AirNav chart dated Feb 06, 2014 show the runway numbers as 1L-1R, 19R-19L and 10-28 but the FSCommander map shows them as 18R-18L, 36R-36L and 09-27. So it appears their latest program is not updating the FSCommander map.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm very happy to hear that Revo worked so well.
Too bad FSCommader doesn't.
Does it come up wrong on other airports.
You may have downloaded scenery for that single airport and the designer didn't pay attention to the "bearings".
Possible?

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Radarman.... The scenery for the airport KTPA is the original scenery that came with the FSX installation with no modifications. Since our last correspondence I have written to Volker Heine about the problem. I received a reply from him but he only asked about the installation so I am about to write him again and inform him that I have downloaded their latest version 9.5 and it gave me the same results, however this time their SID/STAR information had the correct runway but the map was still showing the previous error so the new version did not update the map. I will keep you informed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's nice that he answered you, I hope the two of you can work it out.
Yes, please keep us informed...thanks!

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Radarman... Well here is the answer I received from Volker Heine about FSCommander.

"Sorry, but you have the use and possibilities of the Airac Cycle misunderstood. The cycle does never change any Airport data" If the layout of an airport was changed in reality, then this can be achieved only by the use of an external flight simulator AddOn."

So there we have it, no dice on updating the map in FSCommander unless you use a third party addon to do the changing. This seems rather strange to me as the flight plan programming in FSCommander is dependent on this latest information. For that matter why even supply a map then if the airport map doesn't agree with the program.

Happiness is.....

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

He got out of that smoothly.
The only thing for you to do is see if there is a up-to-date AFCAD available, or learn how to make them.

I took a look and found this.
Is it up to date.
Don't ruin your old one, make a copy or save it to desktop for a while.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/11321/afcad-file-for-ktpa/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Radarman.... I have already downloaded it and the airport looks nice but the runways are still the same. I sent Volker an email and asked him if there was any way we could edit the Map in FSCommander. It's a long shot but probably the last resort.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Glad you like the new airport.
Good idea contacting him, maybe he'll start working on a new patch.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Radarman..... Here is the text reply from Volker questioning him on how to edit the airport map in FSCommander.

------------------------------------------------------------

As you could read in the manual, is the cause of the outdated airport data
of the FSX.
The basis for the FSCommander are always the data of the FSX and therefore
can not be edited in the FSCommander.
Nevertheless, I do not understand your problem.
If the data in the FSCommander would be editable, so nothing is changes in
your FSX.
So you're still on the correct runway with the wrong designation.
Simply use a SID. It has merely changed the designation of the runway and
nothing else.

------------------------------------------------------------

So it appears that FSX has bundled the airports in such a way that they cannot be edited. This looks like a really stupid error as anyone knows that over time the magnetic pole will shift slightly thus making the runways change their bearing and runway number. Well at least we have the answer and I believe this to be true in FSNavigator as well under FS9. An exercise in futility.....

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Odd, you would think that the new one you loaded would be correct.
I'm sure he's right about outdated FSX is 8 years old.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Radarman... Well here is something new. I got a reply from Volker and he sent me two images, one of the KTPA airport as the default and the other as edited by AFX which shows the runways corrected. I wish I know how he did it as I have tried but it never saves the correction to the runways.[/list] I have also tried to attach the two images to this posting but can't seem to accomplish this simple task either.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

He sounds like a nice guy.
He would know how to do it, this is his part of the hobby.
As for attachments, you can either post screenshots or upload them to a free download server like http://ge.tt/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Radarman.... I have been working on this problem on and off. I can change the airport runway number but the ILS feather still shows as the wrong runway number but the frequency is correct. I am using the AFCAD program for the changes and will keep probing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The best part of the hobby is trying to fix something yourself.
I give you kudos for doing more than I would.
Good luck!

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...